Eli's EcoTour, the BEST excursion you'll find

Miss Vickie

• 2 weeks later...

He has such a good reputation on these boards, that when we went last week, it was the first time that he only had people from the ship. He says that usually it is half from the ship and half from hotel guests.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to bring my nice digital camera to take some really good pictures on this tour but is there someone or some place safe that I could leave it on the boat when both my husband and I want to snorkel? I could leave the digital camera behind on the cruise ship and just bring the cheapo underwater cameras. Any suggestions?

Tracy

I would love to bring my nice digital camera to take some really good pictures on this tour but is there someone or some place safe that I could leave it on the boat when both my husband and I want to snorkel? I could leave the digital camera behind on the cruise ship and just bring the cheapo underwater cameras. Any suggestions?

Tracy

Here is a good tip...put your camera in a high quality zip-lock bag that seals tight when not using it and throw in some of those silica gel packets that absorb humidity. Good insurance in case you drop your camera in the water and also protects against the sand and sea mist.

Everyone says Eli is fabulous. Everyone says Lawrence is too. Would you say that Eli's is more for the active type and Lawrence tours for the passive? And could you say if Eli's is a "touristy" experience as we like more of the local flavor and not the mass experience. Is the price really THAT good??

Everyone says Eli is fabulous. Everyone says Lawrence is too. Would you say that Eli's is more for the active type and Lawrence tours for the passive? And could you say if Eli's is a "touristy" experience as we like more of the local flavor and not the mass experience. Is the price really THAT good??

We can't tell you anything about Lawrence, but we can tell you about Eli - we've done his tour 3 times. You can be as active as you want to be, or you can spend the day relaxing on his boat. His tour includes at least one, and usually two, snorkeling opportunities, a Bird Island hike, and a trip to "Hell's Gate," a limestone formation in the middle of the Caribbean, where you go through a cave, climb, and see a cool tidal pool. So if you're an active type, you'll have plenty to do. Plus, lunch is great! It's definitely not a touristy experience - it's far too personal for that, and not a mass experience. I think he takes no more than 25 or so people (the new boat holds more than that, but he doesn't fill it, so that the tour doesn't loose the personal approach). Lots of local flavor - he spends the day giving information on the history, ecology, and political situation in Antigua, he's very knowledgable. The price, which (if you do an advance reservation via his website, http://www.adventureantigua.com) is only a few bucks more than I remember RCI's Bird Island excursion, but you do a lot more, with far fewer people. Definitely a good price for the experience.

By the way, ask him about the cannon at the mouth of the harbor, and about the Jolly Roger and the stores it docks in front of - great stories!

• 2 weeks later...

Flbeachbaby,

I would say that Eli is for the active AND the inactive. He has experience enough to cater to the individual. One of the things we love about Eli is that he is NOT touristy. He was raised on the island, and you can tell he is very proud of it. He knows the history of the island, and is eager to share it. He even uses a local to prepare the WONDERFUL lunch. I have not been on the other tour, so I am not putting it down, I just am praising Eli's. I have been on excursions all over the Carribean (and other places also), and Eli's is one of our favorite. I have been recommending Eli for 4 years, and I have not heard a major complaint yet.

A quick question....how long is eli's tour ? Will be in antigua from 8am to 530 pm and would like to know if we'd have time after the tour for anything else....thanks

The first trip we took with Eli, one of our friends wanted to be back with enough time to go through some of the pier-side shops, and he made sure to get us back in time. If you're thinking another tour, or seeing much more than the immediate harbor area, there's not enough time. Eli's excursion is worth it, though!

Hi

we would really like to do this, but it says you are back at the dock at 415 and our boat departs at 5...is that enough time ? i havent heard of anyone having a problem, but we tend to have bad luck...lol

any input appreciated

dawn

• 3 months later...

Archived