Passports...a quote from our local paper

mrscaribbean

Hi all!

I know everyone probably knows this already, but there was an article in our local paper today regarding passports that I wanted to share with you. I copied a quote (see below) from our county treasurer. I thought it was also funny, since my DH & boys are off, they already had plans to go get them done today. Good thing since my DH's expires in August. I'm glad that I have mine already. I would imagine that it's going to be even longer the closer it gets to the deadline, since a lot of people will probably wait till the last minute...LOL! Happy Easter!

Passport? Don’t leave homeland without it

Posted Friday, April 14, 2006

“It’s really tough and getting harder because more people are applying and they’re looking at them more,” Bill said. “If you’d applied six months ago, we would have told you four weeks. Then it was six weeks. And now it’s eight weeks.”

So you lucky folks planning trips for the December holiday season and beyond had better hop to it.

Hi all!

I know everyone probably knows this already, but there was an article in our local paper today regarding passports that I wanted to share with you. I copied a quote (see below) from our county treasurer. I thought it was also funny, since my DH & boys are off, they already had plans to go get them done today. Good thing since my DH's expires in August. I'm glad that I have mine already. I would imagine that it's going to be even longer the closer it gets to the deadline, since a lot of people will probably wait till the last minute...LOL! Happy Easter!

Passport? Don’t leave homeland without it

Posted Friday, April 14, 2006

“It’s really tough and getting harder because more people are applying and they’re looking at them more,” Bill said. “If you’d applied six months ago, we would have told you four weeks. Then it was six weeks. And now it’s eight weeks.”

So you lucky folks planning trips for the December holiday season and beyond had better hop to it.

If you need a passport or need to renew one I would suggest that you do it online....you can do it through this site and I heard it is faster

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

another thing is if you goggle passports, there are a couple of companies online that promise you a US passport in 7 days or less, I looked up their info on the BBU and they seem legit....I think I would call up the US department of the state first before I use them Here is a couple of the links

http://www.passportsandvisas.com/index.asp?affiliate=g1passportse&gclid=COeJlfnTrIQCFUREOAodUBKuEg

http://www.passportexpress.com/?affid=Google

http://www.americanpassport.com/

Your husband's expires in August? If I remember right, most countries want you to have a passport that is good for at least 6 months or they won't let you in.

He doesn't travel overseas. He only had to go one time when he had to go on a business trip to Bermuda at a previous job & that's why he had to get one to begin with. He would have had enough sense to go & get it renewed earlier IF he traveled overseas.

He doesn't travel overseas. He only had to go one time when he had to go on a business trip to Bermuda at a previous job & that's why he had to get one to begin with. He would have had enough sense to go & get it renewed earlier IF he traveled overseas.

You also need one soon to get back in the U.S.A. If you go to Mexico, Canada etc... not just overseas

I just renewed my husband and my own passports and it took just a little over 5 weeks to get them back. I am not sure if it would take longer to get new ones or not. We are sailing in Dec. so I am sure we will be fine. Mine had expired last Aug. and they let me use it when I cruised in Oct. They never questioned it but I think it states on some of the cruise lines websites that you can use an expired passport.

I just renewed my husband and my own passports and it took just a little over 5 weeks to get them back. I am not sure if it would take longer to get new ones or not. We are sailing in Dec. so I am sure we will be fine. Mine had expired last Aug. and they let me use it when I cruised in Oct. They never questioned it but I think it states on some of the cruise lines websites that you can use an expired passport.

we just went and they were checking dates....the lady at check in said that it needed to be good for 6 months....she also said that starting jan 07 you will need one even if you are traveling in the caribbean.

I work in the Travel Department for a large corporation and we send passport and visa requests out to private companies for express processing and they can get them done very fast usually, this of course comes at a steep price.

One of the sites said an extra $60.00...IMO if you need it done its worth the extra cash.

Mine had expired last Aug. and they let me use it when I cruised in Oct. They never questioned it but I think it states on some of the cruise lines websites that you can use an expired passport.

Please do not suggest to people that using an expired passport is alright. What cruiselines might do for ID purposes is one thing, but what countries might do it something entirely different. An expired passport is a totally invalid document and if you try to enter a country or get back into your own (if a passport was required to do so) with one would be a mistake.

Up until the time that a current passport is required, an expired US passport can be used in the carribean, mexico and Canada can be used as proof of birth. I am not sure of the requirement for Canadain citizens. While you can renew a US passport by mail, you can't do it on line. You can down load the forms and mail them in. Renewals are taking about 4 weeks. They just reopened the passport office in New Orleans...

Personally I prefer a current passport becuase of the possibility of leaving a ship for an emergency you may need one at the airport...

This can be only when the travel required only "Proof of Citizenship" -- eg original birth certificate or naturalization certificate were also acceptable -- usually for travel to Mexico or Caribbean. Even for those cruises, "passport" requirements will be in force by 2007. /Sultan

.... Mine had expired last Aug. and they let me use it when I cruised in Oct. They never questioned it but I think it states on some of the cruise lines websites that you can use an expired passport.

Archived