Fantasy Class Category 12 Penthouse Suites/Balconies

I have attached a picture of the sofa bed unfolded and made up into a double size bed. It is not a traditional pull out sleeper, but the backs folded down and fit together in such a way to make a bed. I took a foam mattress pad with me ($14 Walmart) and the cabin steward put it on each night. It made a huge difference in my comfort level. I left it behind, so if you're on the Inspiration, they should have at least one!

453379490_sofabed.jpg.6d03caf933932c6a93d2b9b5a9d3a601.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ecstasy Cat 12 U-112

Back a few weeks

Great suite: huge as compared to owner’s suites on other cruise lines but no real perks or services.

Balcony was fantastic as there are none below or above, the room was to me all “new”

and quite nice:

The beds was as comfortable as our bed at home and trust me we suffered in hotels, motels and at relatives pre-cruise trip.

The hair dryer was ample for as my Mrs. tells me up to “six inch” hair.

Nice flat screen television: no DVD or CD players yet.

“Bar” was a metal rack with six glasses.

Whirlpool bath was great; European design, very strong jets, impossible to figure out instructions, always got hair wet when trying to fill tub.

Breakfast was great but the room service menu was coffee and nothing fantastic. But the ocean view was priceless.

VIP boarding was great got the “handicapped” for debarkation: it well sucked but was still faster than most.

Icebox was only cold on bottom shelf: bring zip locks for ice to use around the higher shelves!

Overall a great stateroom, see “better” values in other cruise lines for the “top” stateroom.

We did note dining seating seemed to be the CAT 11 and 12 together.

I did an informal “open house” two days; so folks could see the stateroom: just left the door open. All were very grateful to see a balcony and all the room.

The plastic chairs had leg extenders or whatever so one could recline and relax.

I am a NCL and RCI and Princess cruiser, I loved this cruise but missed the “butler”, etc.

That’s all

Joe

Bartender: Peter from Slovakia “High Society” He will recall Joe “Doc” from Colorado. All his coworkers do a great job in the “cigar bar”. Peter and all were helpful with cruise questions, we all are alpine skiers and both of us played hockey. He mixes great gin drinks.

• 1 month later...

I was asked to post my photos and review here of a suite on the Ecstasy, so here is the review first:

There are only 18 of them, I believe, all on the U deck. The room was the best part of the cruise. I was very pleasantly surprised! It looks better than the Penthouse pictures on the NCL Sun I have booked for next month. The room is very spacious and has tons of storage. The bed is dreamy comfortable and the duvet cover is fantastic! There are mirrors galore in the suite, which expands the feel of the room. On the wall behind the center of the bed, there are light controls for every light in the cabin. The lighting is excellent - some on control switches to adjust the amount of light. All are inset into the ceiling or wrapped around the mirrors. The bed is bigger than my king size at home. The sofa looks 70's and is plastic covered, but it sits o.k. We never used its pull out bed feature. There is a drape you can pull between the bed and the sofa. There is a full wall of windows to a large balcony with 2 metal chairs. Not the most confortable, but o.k. There is a walk-in closet with hanging space, drawers, shelves and a safe for valuables. There are tons of drawers in the cabin as well, so you won't have problems with storage. The TV is a flat screen with great color and sound. It gets the network channels (from a Denver station), CNN, Discovery, Cartoon Channel, a kids movie channel and two other movie channels. There is a refrigerator as well. The bathroom has a granite vanity and the tub/shower is comfortable and is jetted for a whirlpool bath. I can't say enough about this cabin. We didn't enjoy the rest of the ship much, but we loved the cabin. Order room service...it does not cost anything (except a tip) and stay out on the balcony!

1632000256_EcstasysuiteU84pic1posting.jpg.7558988f9f56049a498ec7d75ab18e62.jpg

2086357555_EcstasysuiteU84pic2postingsize.jpg.3ddcf7e400e5afe17fc27945ecb6cd5e.jpg

521923255_EcstasysuiteU84pic4copy.jpg.ee6644f71d4be961d16ab7dcb35b09a6.jpg

2054030056_EcstasysuiteU84pic5posting.jpg.738682c6159d2ad33d5a329e27681d3f.jpg

1867983444_EcstasysuiteU84pic3withElli7.10posting.jpg.07f553ebb1a21c4d4aec0d386491b76f.jpg

Just back from the Conquest. I have to tell you that the cat. 12 on our Elation cruise last year was nicer than the 12 on the Conquest! (JMHO!) The Elation had a somewhat seperate seating area. The bathroom was ample. I loved the bedding, and the balcony.

On the Conquest, the room was essentially one large room. Couch area was not as nice, bathroom had a large dressing area and a bidet. Balcony and bedding the same on both. Truthfully, I thought the 12 on the Elation was nicer. (It seemed larger since the two areas were somewhat sperated.

Now trust me.....I loved both, but the Fantasy class cat. 12 is really nice!

Guest YesitDonna

Thanks for the pictures. Every time I see the pictures for a Carnival suite it just look to me to be worth the extra money. Some of the suites I have sen on other ships blow me away. I ran into pictures of NCL Dawn yesterday... now THOSE are suites! LOL Of course the top suite goes for about $25,000 a week too lol

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious, haven't been on a Carnival ship, are cat. 12 suite, like one in the photo the best they have to offer?

Okay, just going to answer this, and then get back on topic...

These are Category 12s on Fantasy Class ships which are a bit older and smaller than a lot of other bigger and newer Carnival ships.

Fantasy Class is still my favorite though.:D

On those other ships, like Destiny Class, Spirit Class, and Conquest Class, they have the Category 11s (which have bigger balconies than Category 11s on this Fantasy Class of ship) and Category 12s which are newer than this class.

But on those, they also have (which can be better and more amazing) really big and wrap around balconies for some cabins.

So start a new thread on Category 9s, 11s, and 12s in a new thread for those ships. You'll get better answers there.;)

Now back on topic again to Fantasy Class Category 12s!

CJW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We are thinking of booking this for 5 people. We will have 4 adults and one 6 year old. I was told 5 will fit but after looking at the pictures, I don't know how. Does anybody know? My TA said there are two upper births but I don't see any in the pictures. Thanks for the help.

We are thinking of booking this for 5 people. We will have 4 adults and one 6 year old. I was told 5 will fit but after looking at the pictures, I don't know how. Does anybody know? My TA said there are two upper births but I don't see any in the pictures. Thanks for the help.

Hey stacy143!

Just double checking your question and your info here...

Are you talking about a "Fantasy Class" Category 12 Suite?

What ship are you talking about, because there are no "upper berths" in this category on Fantasy Class ships.

There is "room", and twin or king beds, plus a convertable sofa that will fit two adults, then room for a roll-away...

But, be sure and double check on your info and specifics so that we can help you out here...

CJW

Thanks for the quick response! :)

I am talking about Carnival "Fantasy" out of nola in March. I knew my TA didn't know what she was talking about. (I seem to know more than they do most of the time). :rolleyes:

I guess I was under the impression that the sofa bed was a single. I didn't know 2 adults would fit comfortably. So let me make sure I'm clear on this. 2 adults would sleep on the convertible couch, 2 adults would sleep on the king (or twins), and the child would need a roll away each night. Is that right? :confused:

I heard that if we book a suite guarantee, Carnival will be required to upgrade us to a cat. 12 because 5 people won't fit in a cat. 11. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks again for all the great pictures and help!

Hello stacy143,

My wife and I had a Cat 12 suite on the Ecstasy (a Fantasy Class ship) in October and loved it. The bed is a King and the sofa makes into a Queen bed. It will be tight, but there may be enough room for a twin size portable bed of some type. As to the upgrade on a suite guarantee, I don't believe your TA will book you a guarantee for 5 people since the Cat 11 will not support that many. I think that Carnival would decline the booking or upgrade you at the higher price for the Cat 12. You might check into having 2 ocean view rooms for probably about the same money as 5 in a suite. Sure would be less crowded.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

p

Thanks for the quick response!

You're catching me at a "good" time!;)

I am talking about Carnival "Fantasy" out of nola in March. I knew my TA didn't know what she was talking about. (I seem to know more than they do most of the time).

That's what CC is good for!

Okay, Fantasy, expert here...:rolleyes:

I guess I was under the impression that the sofa bed was a single. I didn't know 2 adults would fit comfortably. So let me make sure I'm clear on this. 2 adults would sleep on the convertible couch, 2 adults would sleep on the king (or twins), and the child would need a roll away each night. Is that right?

Okay, it is a little tricky here, because they have been remodeling a lot of the different ships in this category recently...

It should be the pull out sofa that is the "regular" size that fits two (meaning one down from a queen, but one up from a single/twin)...

But, if they have happened to change to the newer couch, then it actually gives a lot more space, so one could sleep on the couch, and a rollaway could fit in easily next to it; and still have plenty of room for another rollaway for the child...

At any rate, regardless, it can fit five people...

I would just say, make sure that it is 5 people that want to be in the same cabin (on the other hand, there are many reviews here of people staying in two twin, two upper berths, and a rollaway cabin (with half the square footage of this cabin), then just be sure that you are good with each other (I'd do it if I had another couple like my friends or cousins that I was comfortable with, or my parents - for kids/granparents time)

I heard that if we book a suite guarantee, Carnival will be required to upgrade us to a cat. 12 because 5 people won't fit in a cat. 11. Do you know if this is true?

I guess that "technically" you are correct. As there is no way that you could fit 5 people in a Category 11 on a Fantasy Class ship.

Those were really created for "couples" or parties of 3, so they could not fit you in a Category 11.

Thanks again for all the great pictures and help!

No problem whatsoever!

I think these have a great balcony on this class of ship (one of the most roomy and private) and if that is important, and the other questions and info regarding your situation matches, then I'd say go for it...

But, if you have a different situation, and the balcony is not vital, then look into (you may be better off, but it all depends on your specific family dynamics) getting two cabins next to or near each other (with out the balcony unfortunately); and I'd recommend Upper Deck for those, or if it works, getting a Category 11 for one group (make sure you get the even numbers, because then) you can get an inside right across the hall for the other two people; and you can still share your balcony...

All random ideas, let us know if there are any more questions, or help.

CJW

Just booked cat 12 (U-98) on the imagination for March 17th. We are very excited have cruised twice before once on this ship always inside cabins. couple of questions?

bar - is it just glasses, that is fine I will bring my own champagne and other.

frig - is there anything in it to start? what?

is there a benefit to being on one side of the ship or the other?

Will these class rooms be ready when we board?

Will the spa do massages in the suite?

any other suggestions on what to bring so we can fully enjoy the cabin and room.

thanks so much for this thread.

Ok, you Cat 12 experts... :)

I'm on the Elation in U73 on 2/3/07. Our first suite. :) We've got 4 in the cabin. (Me, my housemate, and two boys 11 & 13, who are both already more or less adult-sized. Yay for early bloomers! *sigh*) I understand the bed arrangement is one king bed and one sofa bed. Thing is, we'd all ideally like to have separate beds. My housemate and I don't mind sharing the king, but we'll probably have the king separated into twins if that's possible. Sharing a double sofa bed is too small for us; we both need room when sleeping. But the brothers won't share a bed with each other at all and, honestly, we feel they're a bit old/mature to be sharing a bed with an adult woman, even though one of the adult women is the mom. So, I'm thinking we'll need a rollaway so that we'll have four separate beds in the cabin.

My question: Is there any way to request this ahead of time or do we wait until we get aboard and talk to the room steward? I've heard that they tend to run out of rollaways, so if there's a way to arrange for a rollaway in advance, that would be good...

Other question: I've heard it said that the rollaways are small? Will it accommodate an adult-sized person? 13-year-old is 5'9" and might grow another inch or two by the time we get to the ship with the way he's growing. 11-year-old is about 5'7," the same height as me. If the rollaways are small, then housemate will get the rollaway. She's only 5'3". :)

Thanks in advance for any info! :)

~Kathleen

Just booked cat 12 (U-98) on the imagination for March 17th. We are very excited have cruised twice before once on this ship always inside cabins. couple of questions?

bar - is it just glasses, that is fine I will bring my own champagne and other.

frig - is there anything in it to start? what?

is there a benefit to being on one side of the ship or the other?

Will these class rooms be ready when we board?

Will the spa do massages in the suite?

any other suggestions on what to bring so we can fully enjoy the cabin and room.

ronkay,

Yes the bar is glasses only.

The fridge is cold but empty, there will be two each coke,diet coke,sprite and one bottle of water in the room for your use. You will be charged for each you use. Each will be replaced daily and charged to your S&S card.

Cat. 11 & 12 rooms will be ready at the same time the other are.

The spa will not come to your room for massages.

The above is my personel experience I have stayed in cat.12 cabins on four of the Fantasy class ships. I also have U98 booked next month just on the Sensation.

May the seas be calm and the sun shinny for your cruise.

Nightwind,

The beds are pushed together when the tickets say mr. & mrs. other wise they break them apart. I was told this just recently when my wife and I arrived to find our beds pulled apart. I asked the stewart why the beds were not together and his reply was " his sheet showed two people of the same sex sharing the room so they pull the beds apart". And sure enough on his paper work it showed mr. & mr. in the cabin. It took him all of two minutes to fix the beds.

I have only seen the rollaways and they did look small. The sofa bed is full sized. I think the four of you will be just fine.

Thanks for the info, G.C. :) Hopefully, we'll be able to get one of the rollaways. If not...A kid gets to sleep on the floor! Because I'm mean that way. :) They can switch off on who gets to sleep on the floor since they're so darn stubborn about not sharing a bed. *sigh*

Then again, 11-year-old is enamored of the idea of bringing a sleeping bag and sleeping on the balcony. I don't have the heart to tell him that since the cabin isn't excessively high up on the ship, he might have a problem with bits of the ocean visiting him if the seas are rough. :)

Thanks for the info, G.C. :) Hopefully, we'll be able to get one of the rollaways. If not...A kid gets to sleep on the floor! Because I'm mean that way. :) They can switch off on who gets to sleep on the floor since they're so darn stubborn about not sharing a bed. *sigh*

Then again, 11-year-old is enamored of the idea of bringing a sleeping bag and sleeping on the balcony. I don't have the heart to tell him that since the cabin isn't excessively high up on the ship, he might have a problem with bits of the ocean visiting him if the seas are rough. :)

nightwind,

You will be suprised how high up you are. It is a lot higher than it looks from the web site. You will not have to worry about anything other than rain. I am not real sure how comfortable he would be sleeping on the plastic deck chair. Have a great cruise :) .

Aren't any suites (category 11 or 12 eligible for Skipper's club - priority check-in/boarding)?

Yes.....you have priority check-in/boarding on cat. 12.....just had this suite on the Fantasy in December out of N.O.

Archived