Save the Towel Animals---Are they becoming extinct?

remydiva

We did not have towel animals on our Sapphire cruise the week before Easter. I wonder if it was because it was a Spring Break week and there were just too many people on board for the stewards to have time to do this. Or maybe the cabins with kids had them. We have never had anything used but what might be left out on the counters readily available. We've had some fun experiences with the towel animals and I think they only add to the cruise experience regardless of the cruise line. My favorite is the monkey swinging from something!! And we left an extra tip even though we didn't have any towel animals this time. Our cabin service was excellent.

My husband and I travel travel with our teenage sons. We tip the room steward as we come on board. We get a couple things for that extra tip: an extra set of eyes on the kids (they are in a separate room) and we always seem to be the first on the hall to get the visit from the towel animals. We then rave about them to the room steward and we always seem to get a return visit. And yes, I own the towel animal book.

Don't recall a towel animal on any of my 16 Princess cruises--nor on Celebrity or NCL.

Had towel animals on NCL. Never had them on the many Princess and Celebrity cruises I have been on. Don't really want them either. The worst stewards I had on Royal Caribbean did great towel animals. I would rather they just keep up the room.

Some of us prefer not to have towel animals...

I can see it appropriate with Carnival and RCCL but is it necessary on every cruise line?

On Carnival and RCCL the stewards are encouraged to do towel animals. They even give them instruction how to do it. Since Princess and Celebrity are considered more upscale they don't encourage their cabin attendents to do it. If someone gets a towel animal on Princess or Celebrity they probably learned it on another cruise line.

I love the towel animals. We've had them visit at least once on most all our cruises......personally - I'll leave an extra tip for my steward when they take the extra time to leave a TA.....anyone know if they visit on the Tahitian Princess?

I had my first set of towel animals appear on my windowsill during my seventh Princess cruise on the Star. Two swans like Stovemungen’s except each of mine had a heart shaped candy on its head. (Would love to have added a photo, but I keep getting an error message when I try to add one.) I loved them, but many others would prefer if they took up residence in someone else’s cabin. Maybe Princess should think about adding Towel Animals to their cruise personalizer.

I had never seen them before sailing with Carnival back in 98 on the Elation. We had them in our cabin on the Carnival Spirit this last Janaury. Our 3 year old nephew who was in the cabin next door loved the animals. They appeared about the 3rd night at sea and stayed thru the end. They even had a class on Towel animal making and have a book for sale too. Yes, we couldn't resist, we bought the book.

Archived