Tours in Picton

terry&mike

I am trying to decide between the HAL tour Taste of Picton, and a private (small) bus tour, to visit some wineries in this area. Will only be in port 1p-6p. Also considering renting a bike, but need to go about 30 minutes into Blenheim to do so. With such a short port stop, am trying to be sure to have enough time to do an independent tour (which I prefer). Has anyone out there tried any of the above tours?

Hello,

I haven't taken the tours that you mention but had the good fortune to live in Picton for a while. The wineries are an excellent choice to visit you would probably have time to walk around Picton afterwards. Going into Blenheim to pick up a bike is probably not good use of the short time that you have, and Picton is a bit 'hilly'. On the way out of the dock you will pass the Edwin Fox museum, it's home to the only remaining wooden barque immigrant ship and well worth a visit. There is usually a small market set up on the foreshore when the cruise ships come in.The Picton Museum on London Quay is interesting if you would like to see the whaling history of the area. The trip into Picton through the Marlborough Sound is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.

Have a great time.

John L

We agree with what John has written. However bicycles can be hired in Picton if you want to cruise around the town and out to Waikawa Bay which is about 5 kms. To get there is not too hilly and many local folk ride. There is a small delightful boutique winery called Johanneshof, about 10 kms from Town but a steep hill to get over first then its flat all the way.The drive into the Marlborough wine area takes about 30 mins. Which ever tour you chose you can be assured of a pleasent afternoon. Picton is a pretty little town and as John said there are several other interesting places to visit if you chose not to do a winery tour.

We have lived in Picton for the past 12 years and have never ever get tired of sailing in the Marlborough Sounds no matter what the weather. it is a rather special place in NZ.

Hello to you John, we met you and Liz on the DP last month. hope you are enjoying your time ion shore.

Von

• 4 months later...

Archived