Totally Confused About Packing For Alaska

TwelveKitties

Four of us are going to Alaska in 25 days for a land tour and cruise with Princess. Three have never cruised before - I have once and that was to Alaska - but all I remember about it from a packing point of view is that I took way too much. The other three keep asking what to take and quite frankly all I know to tell them is I haven't a clue.

I've looked at all the packing lists, etc., but they are so all inclusive that if I followed them, I'd be taking as much stuff or more than before. What I am really looking for is advice about what (and how much for a minimum) to take on the 3-day land tour, and what (and how much for a minimum) to pack to send on to the ship when we arrive in Alaska. I just don't want to end up like last time lugging all this stuff I didn't need through the airports etc. (although I will say that I was totally prepared, didn't have to buy anything and was able to supply traveling companions with clothes!). None of us mind wearing things more than once, nor do we mind doing laundry on the ship. What we mind is dragging too much stuff.

The other thing I would like to know is what other items besides duct tape, clothes pins, highlighters, post-its and Bonine that we should be taking that we might not think of, but might prove to be useful?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

TwelveKitties

My first rule of thumb is to leave out anything that I have to ask why would I take it? Second, don't pack anything the ship will provide, like cups, paper, pens, clocks, etc... I like to take care of things like clothes or suitcase mending, hair, nails and all that before we leave. I don't take along extra electrical devices, cords, tape, highlighters. Over the years, I've found the only requirements we may need is in the health department, so I make sure to pack a small first aid kit.

Pack layers. Light layers are best, with one final layer of a longish rain jacket with a zip out liner. If you have an excursion to a glacier landing or dog-sled ride, you will want gloves, otherwise, use your pockets, you may want a hat, but you can always buy a souvenir one.

Plan on using the ships laundry service, to cut down the amount of long pants you have to pack. Bite the bullet and pay for undies and socks to be washed, or use the ships laundromat if they have one available for pax.

Carry on for the 3 day pre-cruise:

Your toiletries.

3 complete changes of clothes, everything from undies to your rain jacket. See if you can wear one pair of pants twice, or use the outfit you travelled in to board the ship. Turn everything over to the laundry service on the ship once you board and settle, that will take care of at least 3 - 5 days of clothes for the cruise.

Your camera bag.

So, your suitcase for the ship will hold:

Your formal clothes and shoes, the formal nights are just as formal in Alaska as on any other cruise. A couple pair of slacks or skirts, plus mix and match shirts or tops for casual evenings, maybe a sweater or lightweight jacket. Two more daytime outfits and a few more pair of underwear and socks.

You really will need to check the weather a couple days before you leave, to adjust for weather changes. I would take at least 3 long sleeved T's and 3 short sleeved T's. One pair jeans and the rest sweat pants or jogging/wind suits. A windbreaker to layer when or if it's not raining.

We were told to pack extra shoes in case one gets wet, but we did not need extras.

Take your bathing suit, they do have hot tubs and some ships have indoor pools. Sometimes hotels do as well. Take your sandals or flip flops to walk to the pool. Take at least one pair of shorts, they do sometimes get warm weather in Alaska.

If you need to shop before you leave, your money is best spent on upgrading your camera or buying extra memory.

Upon disembarking from our Alaska cruise, I was astonished to see the amount of luggage people had. I packed our family of 4 in one suitcase each, two carry on bags, one garment bag, backpacks for the kids, my purse and the camera bag. There were some couples who had as much as we did :eek: .

I write this all the time and it is so true, no one will notice or care if you wear the same outfit more than once. Please don't read so much into those packing lists, you will have so much to organize and re-pack, much of it never used. Only take what you need to exist for the week, not for every eventuality that may come about.

Thank you so much ... your reply was just the kind of information that we were looking for. I really just want to go with the minimum and spend the time enjoying everything, rather than worrying about the fashion police. My goal is one suitcase per person (with a collapsable duffle inside to pack for the land tour once we arrive at the first hotel in Alaska when we split up our luggage between the land and the cruise) - plus a garmet bag. Whatever else someone is willing to carry on and lug around is up to them (we're all adults) but my purse and anything else I may need in transit always goes in a back pack.

We do have laundry on our ship - so that will make it even better.

Thanks again.

Twelve Kitties

Kathy...you have helped so much and are appreciated.

I have a question about day shoes. When doing land excursions from ship, will I need hiking type shoes, a good pair of athletic type shoes or both? We're doing a lot of walking, the Taku River Float Plan Trip, and a musher's camp & ride.

We're also doing a six-day land afterward.

Jeanmarie

Take a pair of shoes you would not mind getting wet and a better pair of walking/running shoes. Pack layers of clothes. t-shirt, button down shirt, sweater, light jacket and water proof jacket/windbreaker. This way you can undress if it gets warmer. Also brink gloves and an insulated hat to cover the ears. It can get cold on the ship when on the upper deck and you are cruising along. If any other questions, feel free to drop me a message.

If you have a water repellent winter jacket w/ a hood or can borrow one for the trip, I recommend it! Mine has a zip out lining yet I kept it in for a cruise in Aug. to Alaska! You probably don't need it in Texas but I was very glad I brought mine to Alaska. On our cruise, everything was casual during the day...jeans or docker type, swaters or sweatshirts and walking shoes and socks. Still... bring sunglasses!:)

TwelveKitties....

Pack, planning on paying to do some laundry/drycleaning.

An Alaska cruise, is certainly a diffferent packing issue than the Caribbean.

One pair of jeans, one pair of khakis. Plan to wash them.

You'll need a windsuit...or sweatsuit.

We brought shorts along...and used them ! Mainly on the ship.

There are so many great t-shirts to purchase on the ship and in the ports in Alaska. Good cotton quality.

If you are one who thinks they may purchase t-shirts, plan for that. Plan to wear them while on your trip. Pack accordingly.

Having cruised twice in Alaska....June/July...the heaviest garment we needed was a lined raincoat. We also brought along a hat/gloves...and did need them.

Mix and match a couple of outfits for dinner. Not all of them..... just plan on a couple. It will make a huge difference in your "space in your suitcase" issue.

Bring along a folding type carryon bag. The ships will sell them....because mostt folks end up with purchases that they cannot fit in the luggage they came with.

Study the itinerary. We were able to foresee a night that we knew we would not be eating in the dining room. Then, we knew not to bring clothes for that evenings dinner. A later night in port is an example of when we did not eat in the dining room. Alaskan itineraries can be port intensive.

I think the biggest area that will assist with your packing dilemna... is to budget some dollars so that you do not hesitate to send your clothes out to be cleaned.

Have a great trip !!!

• 5 years later...

Layers!

I have a pair of silk long underwear, that takes up very little space, but really helps keep me warm. I think I got mine at REI, but you can find them on-line at many places.

I would also bring a lightweight fleece jacket. Layered underneath a raincoat, you will be toasty warm.

As for packing for Alaska I was there early Sept and it was cool and there was a misty rain most of the time. I took a pair of fleece lined jeans and a heavy aran sweater and a rain jacket and fleece to wear plus a hat and mitts. I ended up wearing the jeans and the sweater most of the time. Check the weather net work to see what the tempture will be in the ports you will be visting. Plus any formal wear ect.

We are two adults, a 6 year old and an 8 1/2 year old. What is this 2 formal night thing? I was planning jeans, maybe khakis, shorts. I get the layering part, the raincoat part, mittens and hats (especially the kids). I am pretty sure United charges $25 per bag, so I am trying to keep it down. what is the duck tape, highlighters, etc for?!

and can you can you not bring wine on the ship? And what is the ULTIMATE DRINK CARD?

can you tell this is our first cruise?!

Pat

We are two adults, a 6 year old and an 8 1/2 year old. What is this 2 formal night thing? I was planning jeans, maybe khakis, shorts. I get the layering part, the raincoat part, mittens and hats (especially the kids). I am pretty sure United charges $25 per bag, so I am trying to keep it down. what is the duck tape, highlighters, etc for?!

and can you can you not bring wine on the ship? And what is the ULTIMATE DRINK CARD?

Pat

Check your cruise docs. Most 7 night cruises have 2 formal nights and the rest "resort casual". Formal doesn't always mean tuxes and gowns. For us it has been a dark suit for hubby, nice pants, dress shirts and ties for our two boys and a cocktail dress for me. For our Alaska cruise I am considering nice dressy pants and a nice dressy twin set as my cocktail dresses are all sleeveless. We are planning to only check one bag- our garment bag. We will be using carry ons for the rest of our clothes. It can be done, we did a dry run this past spring break where we drove to the port. Boys will be packed into their extra large Speedo backpacks and we will use our two carry on cases (our boys are now 17 & 12, but have been used to carrying their own gear for awhile now). Each person can then have something personal as well- large purse/bag or briefcase.

I have never taken duct tape- but some swear by it to fix unexpected issues. Highlighters are for the daily newsletter which lists all the things on the ship. Used for marking the things your family wants to participate in. Have sometimes used, but doesn't really take up space in my bag.

Some lines offer beverage cards, others soda stickers...cruises don't include pop/soda often free.

Other questions feel free to ask.

On a 7 day cruise there are generally 2 formal nights. You can wear a cocktail dress but you can also wear nice pants and blouse or something too. Alaska is generally not as picky about clothes in the dining room. And if you don't want to bring anything but jeans, you can always eat in the buffet.

You do not have to pack for 25 days. Pack for 7 days (more or less) and use the laundry.

Most things can be worn more than once, even without washing.

Pat

Pat, the cruiselines have different rules regarding bringing on beverages and will have different names for any special drink programs.

You can find out how many formal nights you'll have by checking out your cruiseline's website. A few such as Carnival don't really have a true formal night anymore.

You do not have to pack for 25 days. Pack for 7 days (more or less) and use the laundry.

Most things can be worn more than once, even without washing.

Actually the OP said she's leaving in 25 days, not going for a 25-day trip.

12 Kitties:

You'll love Princess for their Alaskan cruises. There's a naturalist who'll be on board when you do the glacier cruising. Also the self-service laundries are very convenient -- there's one on every deck that has cabins. I took the 3-in-1 Purex sheets (had to really search to find the unscented ones). Really cuts down on weight.

Just think layers for Alaska. It may start getting a little warmer by June. (we went in August and there was a heat wave before we got to Seattle, but it cooled down and got rainy by the second day of our cruise). Bring one of those plastic waterproof jackets. We didn't do any physical activities on land (and didn't do a land trip) so we didn't have to be concerned with shoes other than walking shoes and what we wore onboard.

You can go simple on the formal wear. I wore cocktail length dresses and my hubby brought just one regular suit.

I've read that mosquito repellent is a necessity. I'm a magnet for those critters and didn't encounter them on that cruise. I do bring the medicine cabinet (don't won't to depend on the ship's store having what I need).

Actually the OP said she's leaving in 25 days' date=' not going for a 25-day trip.

[/quote']

I saw 25 days and land trip and put it together as a 25 day trip.:o

Advice still holds. Pack light and use the laundry.

Light layers and mix and match.

Look at the original date of the thread, it was started in 2006 so I think the cruise is probably history by now.

I don't think the packing is any different now than it was for me in 2006, the biggest change is that now we have baggage fees to pay. Something to seriously consider when packing any extras.

Pat

Not sure what line you are cruising, but if it's NCL you won't need to bring any formal clothing. They have the anytime dining. If you eat in one of the pay restaurants you may want to bring something a bit better than jeans (i.e. khaki's, etc.) We are leaving for our first Alaskan cruise in a week and are not bringing any dress clothing. For more detailed information on your cruise go to your lines specific thread or the roll call for your cruise.

These are a must on an Alaskan cruise. Use the ships laundry-somewhat expensive but a big savings of space when packing. If you wear a suit rather than a tux on formal nights wear the suit when boarding the ship-saves a lot of space. Also wear rather than pack your heaviest shoes.

On our Alaska cruise I got a kick out of a couple with matching his/her safari clothes including the boots and hats with the side brim turned up!

You will be OK if you plan on dressing the same way you would for cool and possibly wet weather at home. Our Alaska cruise on Princess was probably one of the least formal formal nights. There were a lot of slacks/blazers. Not starting anything, just saying that is how it was in for us in May '10.

Why "bump" a 5 year old thread?

Because there will always be newbies to CC and you all always give good advice (as you all posted here).

And even tho some of us may not be newbies to CC we may still benefit from the information! Otherwise nobody would have answered this thread.:D

So thank you. Cuz I am always looking to better prepare myself.:)

Archived