First time in San Juan..any suggestions?

maurick

What do you suggest in San Juan for first timers going in Oct? We will be going on RCL Explorer of the Seas. Is there anything to do within walking distance of the ship? Thank you in advance

What do you suggest in San Juan for first timers going in Oct? We will be going on RCL Explorer of the Seas. Is there anything to do within walking distance of the ship? Thank you in advance

If you dock at Old San Juan there is plenty to do within walking distance. Here is a website I used to plan my day. We didn't get much accomplished besides visiting San Cristobal as it was hot and my 4 year old just wanted to go back to the ship, lol. The area is not flat so if you plan on doing alot of walking wear comfortable shoes.

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

From what I understand if you dock at Pan American piers it's a short taxi ride to Old San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...

Maurick,

When are you sailing? We are on the Explorer on June 2 and I did call RCCL and was informed that we will be docking at the Pan American Pier, not the pier in Old San Juan.

It has been suggested to take a taxi from the Pan American Pier to Old San Juan or you can walk it in about 30 minutes.

Vic

<snip>

It has been suggested to take a taxi from the Pan American Pier to Old San Juan or you can walk it in about 30 minutes.

Vic

That would be quite a hike at a good pace to make it in 30 minutes. The Pan American is farther from OSJ than the Caribe Hilton, and that distance is over two miles.

An alternative would be to walk over towards the Hilton and catch the city bus into OSJ for what I believe is now $.75.

We just got back and thought we were likely going to stay on the ship too. We docked in OSJ an just took an independent tour from the end of the pier for $10! It was really well worth it and it last about 1.5 hours or so and dropped us back off in the shopping area. Our children got tired and hot while shopping and rather than walk the .5 mile or so I waved a cab. He thought we were at the pier on the far side and quoted me $12 to take us all the way over there (family of four). Anyway, based on that if they have the independent tour you can find your own excursion for about $25 that would cover a good deal of the island and get you back to the ship if you are on the other pier. Or $10 if you dock in OSJ.

P.S. We ended up with $6 to go the .5 miles but the a/c was ice cold and the DW and kids were happy. Well worth the $10 total with tip!!

I cringe every time I see someone say "stay on the ship"

We stayed in Old San Juan 3 days/2 nights precruise the end of November and LOVED IT !!

Spent one whole morning at El Morro (the fort) and I am not really much of a fort kinda girl but I enjoyed this one... the views are really pretty and the fort is huge !! Spent the afternoon walking the wall which lines the shore and harbor area... lots of parks, plazas, parrots and views... depending on what time you are out and about there are usually street fiestas or something going on....

Another morning walked to La Bombonera for breakfast and had mallorcas and hand made pastries with their famous coffee YUM... then "shopped" our way back to the hotel.

Old San Juan is full of history and charm..... teeny tiny cobblestone streets, decorated buildings (90% have been remodeled) painted different Caribbean colors with iron balconies and plants everywhere.... the cathederal while on the outside is kind of plain is beautiful inside... Ponce de Leon is buried in osj... I could go on and on .... if you want to walk it yourself - go buy Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call (5th edition is latest printing) for @ $ 15.00. It has a great detailed walking tour as well as lots of info on all the islands you will be visiting while on your cruise..... well worth the investment. Or take a short local tour but DONT STAY ON THE SHIP !!!!

We stayed in Old San Juan 3 days/2 nights precruise the end of November and LOVED IT !!

Spent one whole morning at El Morro (the fort) and I am not really much of a fort kinda girl but I enjoyed this one... the views are really pretty and the fort is huge !! Spent the afternoon walking the wall which lines the shore and harbor area... lots of parks, plazas, parrots and views... depending on what time you are out and about there are usually street fiestas or something going on....

Another morning walked to La Bombonera for breakfast and had mallorcas and hand made pastries with their famous coffee YUM... then "shopped" our way back to the hotel.

Old San Juan is full of history and charm..... teeny tiny cobblestone streets, decorated buildings (90% have been remodeled) painted different Caribbean colors with iron balconies and plants everywhere.... the cathederal while on the outside is kind of plain is beautiful inside... Ponce de Leon is buried in osj... I could go on and on .... if you want to walk it yourself - go buy Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call (5th edition is latest printing) for @ $ 15.00. It has a great detailed walking tour as well as lots of info on all the islands you will be visiting while on your cruise..... well worth the investment. Or take a short local tour but DONT STAY ON THE SHIP !!!!

I agree completely with Texancruzer. Two years ago on our Honeymoon we docked in the middle of OSJ on Carnival. We loved it, so much so, that when we booked our upcoming cruise we wanted one of the port stops to be OSJ. We sail on the EOS on June 2nd.

I am one of those people who would stay on the ship next time. Both my husband and I did not enjoy San Juan at all. We had the Frommers guide that a previous poster mentioned and did the walking tour. I found the city very dirty and didn't feel safe. During our time in Old San Juan we witnessed the following:

1) a crazy guy yelling on a street corner who was soon chased by two police officers.

2) a young lady limping on the sidewalk, with a cane. She had no shoes and her foot was cut open and obviously infected.

3) Unbelievable poverty, I couldn't believe the housing that some people were living in (along the city walls between Del Morro and San Cristobal).

4) Several stray dogs, I doubt they had been vaccinated or received proper food.

5) Several people begging for money.

After witnessing the above we decided to head back to the ship. Several other people did the same. Perhaps we were just there on a bad day - but I do know that I was thankful when I was back on the ship.

The photos I did take in Old San Juan came out beautiful - the architecture is amazing and I am glad I went. However, it is something that I have no desire to experience again. I know that some people love it (my grandfather being one of those) but my experience was not a positive one.

Ironically, my next cruise departs from San Juan - but we will be staying at our hotel until it is time to go to the ship.

Just returned from the NCL Dawn last week and one of our stops was San J.

Life is to short to stay on the ship.

I did not witness any of crime etc. I felt safe and I was travelling with my husband and 10 &12yr old children.

We walked down the pier and a cab driver 10.00pp gave us a tour of the city.

Old San J and the new it was aprox 1.5hrs and well worth it. The city is rich in history and architecture. The weather was hot and overcast. Not a beach day but we had spent 4 days frollicking in the sun prior to this stop.

When the tour was over our driver let us off in the old part of San J. and we strolled the cobble stone streets and did some window shopping and actual shoe shopping for the kids...Great deals on Nike shoes.

This port was clean and I was surprised as just how big the city was.

Enjoy!

Bon Voyage.

You are so right! OSJ is full of rich history. We stayed for 3 days before our cruise and 1 after. We went to El Morro, walked the streets and shopped from local vendors and took in a folklore show or two at the stage in the shopping area.

I don't understand the stay on the ship mentality either. I think part of the cruise experience is experiencing the local cultures, which will include poverty! There isn't a city in the US that has the same problems, just maybe not to the same degree or definitly not in the tourist areas!

Go and enjoy OSJ! You will be glad you got off the ship!

I am one of those people who would stay on the ship next time. Both my husband and I did not enjoy San Juan at all. We had the Frommers guide that a previous poster mentioned and did the walking tour. I found the city very dirty and didn't feel safe. During our time in Old San Juan we witnessed the following:

1) a crazy guy yelling on a street corner who was soon chased by two police officers.

2) a young lady limping on the sidewalk, with a cane. She had no shoes and her foot was cut open and obviously infected.

3) Unbelievable poverty, I couldn't believe the housing that some people were living in (along the city walls between Del Morro and San Cristobal).

4) Several stray dogs, I doubt they had been vaccinated or received proper food.

5) Several people begging for money.

After witnessing the above we decided to head back to the ship. Several other people did the same. Perhaps we were just there on a bad day - but I do know that I was thankful when I was back on the ship.

The photos I did take in Old San Juan came out beautiful - the architecture is amazing and I am glad I went. However, it is something that I have no desire to experience again. I know that some people love it (my grandfather being one of those) but my experience was not a positive one.

Ironically, my next cruise departs from San Juan - but we will be staying at our hotel until it is time to go to the ship.

We've cruised out of San Juan 7 times, with an 8th coming up next January. We love San Juan, and always go in a day early to spend time in OSJ, walking the streets, eating the food, going to the forts. The people are great, the city is wonderful - the architecture, the historical sites, the food... As for the above list of horrors, well, we live in Cleveland, and we see that stuff in our own city. You do in any big city, and many smaller ones, as well. Part of the richness and excitement of travelling is seeing other cultures. Get off the ship - walk the cobblestone streets (or take the free trolleys), see the forts - enjoy your day! You'd be best advised to take a taxi to OSJ, but once there, everything's walkable.

Jodi

Like I said in my post - maybe I was there on a bad day, but what I witnessed did not make me feel very safe. I was not the only person from my ship who elected to go back early.

I don't regret going to Old San Juan - it is just one of those things that I will not be doing again. We all have ports that we don't particularly like for one reason or another, and San Juan happens to be mine. Next time I will use the San Juan port as a great chance to have the ship to myself :)

I am curious. Is there more poverty, crime, etc. at one dock that the other?

We are sailing from SanJuan on the Crown Princess in November. Never been to SanJuan and hoped to see just a little of the city. Unfortunately, we are flying in the same day we sail but our flight gets in at 2:30pm and hopefully

be on board the ship by 4:00pm (?). Depending where the Crown is docked is there enough time to see anything? What time does the sun set in SJ?

Well here I go again.....

I agree that a big part of the travel experience is to see, smell, hear, touch and taste those places that you visit..... unfortunately so many people who cruise do not get to do that for one reason or another.

Alot just take a tour or excursion on a bus with 50 other people and go to point A then point B etc. and once off they are mobbed by vendors trying to make a living.....

or those that walk in a few blocks and see poverty and turn around and go back.....

I have been very fortunate in that when traveling my dh and I both agree to "get out of town and explore". We usually rent a car and pick a direction and just see what is around the bend.... we have met many interesting people that way and found lots of NEAT STUFF around the bends. We have also seen very proud people who have nothing except a strong spirit and a belief that tomorrow could be better. I know that I look around me and know that I am very blessed indeed.

That said.... we are also not oblivious to bad situations and are always careful of our surroundings and use caution at all times.... on the islands in the Caribbean, in Mexico or even while traveling in the good ole USA...

We walked ALL OVER Old San Juan while there and found it to be much cleaner than St. Thomas USVI !!! (thats United States Virgin Island) and I guess I would have to say it was my least favorite so it's a good thing we had planned on our day trip to St. John (which was pristine).

I am probably the one who recommended Frommers to you and if you go back and re-read that section.....it mentions areas to steer clear of..... sounds like you wandered in to that area.

I am probably the one who recommended Frommers to you and if you go back and re-read that section.....it mentions areas to steer clear of..... sounds like you wandered in to that area.

I followed the Frommers walking guide according to the book. Regardless, I didn't enjoy Old San Juan. I don't understand why you have a problem with that. You don't see me jumping all over you for finding St. Thomas to be dirty...so why don't you show the same level of respect and accept the fact that people have differing opinions.

No where in my post did I say that the OP should stay on the ship. I simply stated my reasons for why I would stay on the ship next time. I also mentioned how my photos came out beautiful, the city has amazing architecture and that several people (my grandfather being one of them) absolutely love OSJ. I also mentioned how I don't regret going to OSJ - I am simply choosing to not go back.

BTW, I am well aware of what USVI stands for...but thank you for spelling it out anyways.

Does anyone know which pier the Explorer of the Seas docks at. We will be there in late August.

Sandi

I was on the Explorer last Oct and we docked at the Pan American Pier. There were lots of taxi's waiting outside when we arrived. We paid $4 per person to get to OSJ (one way).

I followed the Frommers walking guide according to the book. Regardless, I didn't enjoy Old San Juan. I don't understand why you have a problem with that. You don't see me jumping all over you for finding St. Thomas to be dirty...so why don't you show the same level of respect and accept the fact that people have differing opinions.

No where in my post did I say that the OP should stay on the ship. I simply stated my reasons for why I would stay on the ship next time. I also mentioned how my photos came out beautiful, the city has amazing architecture and that several people (my grandfather being one of them) absolutely love OSJ. I also mentioned how I don't regret going to OSJ - I am simply choosing to not go back.

BTW, I am well aware of what USVI stands for...but thank you for spelling it out anyways.

I dont have a problem with the fact that you did not like San Juan....and my post was not directed at you except for the last paragraph...... I was actually more responding to the other posters who agreed with me about the "stay on the ship" mentality....there were a few. As far as spelling out USVI it was simply to draw attention that an island that is part of the US was the dirtiest of all that we visited on our cruise :eek: imagine that. I also wanted those that will be visiting San Juan or other areas that are considered "third world" countries to keep an open mind and know that they are not all just beautiful beaches and Senor Frogs.....

Thank you all for your info!

Autumn3 .. I know how you felt. If I saw all you did. I would have gone back to the ship too. We will be on Explorere of the Seas. Hope we have a good day there.

Recognizing that not everyone likes every island, Texancruiser makes a good point - for the most part, these islands have a very different standard of living than we have stateside. Barbados and Grand Cayman are the major exceptions. You'll see poor people (homeless or not), stray animals (both farm-type and pet-type), and you do have to pay attention to your surroundings and belongings everywhere. And even on Barbados, we saw goats and cows wandering near the roadside in "urban" areas. I have heard people say that Grand Caymen is their favorite island - probably because there are no animals wandering the streets, and no one trying to sell you stuff (souveniers or unlicensed pharmaceuticals) on the streets or beaches.

Jodi

erniesband..... well put.... and just an interesting fyi that we learned while on our tour with Cameron Reid on Barbados (one of those "around the bends" I was talking about earlier) is that the reason you see so many goats, chickens, pigs etc.. roaming is this - it is customary for a childs godparents to buy their godchild an animal for a pet. This is to teach them to take care of another living being and to love something other than themselves...... pretty neat I think. They are not killed for food and are pets and then some.....

As for poverty on Barbados and Grand Cayman - it is there. Cameron took us to see some government housing areas - but even though they did not have much - what they had they took care of. Everything was orderly and clean etc.

I know I need to put on my flame proof suit right about now - but I cant help but feel kinda sorry for those people who don't "see" these islands and the people that live there. They are amazing for the most part. Industrious because they have to be and extremely hard working. And so very very friendly..... when you are not in a crowd of others stepping off a bus ;)

Ok..... I am off my soap box now...... go for it

Archived