First time in San Juan..any suggestions?

maurick

What a lively thread!

I've been to OSJ back in 1996...And enjoyed it.

Sometimes it's what people are used to.

I come from the NJ/NY area and those same sights that people saw was everyday living to me. Why, I thought I was home!

Maybe some think that they should not have to be subjected to such things - but for others, it's life. That's what a cruise is all about - how you get there and how we leave is personal business.

Wouldn't it be nice if everywhere we went were as paradasaic as a cruise ship! (Don't stand next to the rail.)

• 2 weeks later...
Why the need to be rude?

I was stating MY reasons for why I have decided to stay on the ship next time. You were not there with me, you don't know what I experienced so who are you to judge someone? Personally, I wished that I would have read a more accurate review of OSJ before I left - maybe then I would have been more prepared for what OSJ is really like. Instead all the reviews I read had no mention of the stuff I mentioned above.

Sure, this stuff can happen in any major US city. However, it usually happens in the bad areas - and not the areas that tourists are attracted to.

I don't think kelz66 was being rude. Have you ever been to Philly? I have and the tourist areas are mixed with alot of poverty.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, this stuff can happen in any major US city. However, it usually happens in the bad areas - and not the areas that tourists are attracted to.

Have you been to Orlando/Kissimmee/Walt Disney World area lately?

We just got back and thought we were likely going to stay on the ship too. We docked in OSJ an just took an independent tour from the end of the pier for $10! It was really well worth it and it last about 1.5 hours or so and dropped us back off in the shopping area. Our children got tired and hot while shopping and rather than walk the .5 mile or so I waved a cab. He thought we were at the pier on the far side and quoted me $12 to take us all the way over there (family of four). Anyway, based on that if they have the independent tour you can find your own excursion for about $25 that would cover a good deal of the island and get you back to the ship if you are on the other pier. Or $10 if you dock in OSJ.

P.S. We ended up with $6 to go the .5 miles but the a/c was ice cold and the DW and kids were happy. Well worth the $10 total with tip!!

What do you mean by "independent tour" ? Are there people just waiting at the dock to offer tours? I'm always leary of those guys! Who did you go with?

We have been to Puerto Rico many times. We have stayed in Hotels in old Town and have walked around the city at night (it is very lively, and the locals dress to the nines). The Green parrot is a great place to eat. El Morro and the civic buildings are beautiful. If you have time get a driver at the dock to take you to Ponce where there is an art museum tht has pieces commonly loaned to one very famous Paisian art museum. Have a ball

Well, this is my 5 cents on the above TD.

I know how some folks like to paste and post your personal posting, so, just to tell everyone know that IT IS OK TO HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION about anything and everything, smile..

Texancruiser, I have to agree with you that not every place is safe and enjoyable ... I had some similar experience in Honduras- to me, it was a hole in the wall , and dirty and useless cruise stop for any tourist...

Due to my husband work, I have lived in Cuba for a few years, so , I am very familiar with all the 3d-country issues...

So... I am not afraid to go out to S. Juan , PR, and see by myself what is the city/country about.. But, until I do so, I will not make any judgements....

I am going in Nov,2006 on NCL , Jewel to Eastern Carribean cruise... First stop is PR, S. Juan.

I would like to see the old city, and to me, it will , probably, be similar to Vera Cruise ( Christmas Cruise, HAL 2005).

I am setting my expectations on good time and experimenting, seeing, enjoying, and just meeting new people and see new things...

I speak nice Spanish, and I expect to learn a lot from locals, LOL...

So, with respect to all above postings, I have to agree with Texancruiser, and I have to respect that posting, since this wolrd is not all white or black- it is colorful, and we all see colors in different ways - I see it puple, and you see it - blue...

Colorblind? - NO, this is just MY preception of life...

Peace,

Raffy.

WoW-- just happened to come across this thread-- and there has been quite a debate. It is great that everyone can "air" their opinions. Here is mine... one of the great things about a cruise-- is you can "sample" a tiny bit of different countries and cultures.

It is great to express your opinion-- but I don't think we should ever "diss" another culture in a public forum like this. We are in the 21st century-- the world is smaller! I think (my opinion only!:) ) it is good for so called first world citizens to see that not all of the world live in standards that you may think are appropriate or acceptable. People all over the world are the same-- and people are a culture's most valuable resource. The people make the country! So to me it is a shame that you would not want to "meet and mingle" with the locals! Just use common sense!

On the other hand-- if you have scrimped and scraped-- to save for this once a year or maybe once in a lifetime vacation-- then you certainly have a right to stay on the ship-- and not be "exposed" to any of the things mentioned in previous posts. It is your choice....

I just think that often times some countries citizens have a superior attitude when they travel-- and expect things exactly how they have or are treated in their homeland. As someone said before, "Get out there!":)

• 3 weeks later...

You will dock in Old San Juan. Upon stepping off your ship, you'll finds TOS of stores for shopping. Wander the streets of OSJ, and you'll find several plazas with ancient fountains and nice sitting areas where you can relax with a cold beverage.

If you're up for about a 45 minute walk, you could walk to EL MORO (the old fort with cannons pointing out to the sea at the entrance to San Juan, and climb around/explore that.

If you're looking for somewhere to eat that serves excellent traditional spanish & Caribbean food, I can highly recommend the PARROT CLUB. (open for lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch)(Excellent food & atmosphere) I liked this place so much that last year when my ship arrived in san Juan I told the people at my dinner table the night before that I wouldn't be dining with them tomorrow night because I would be having my dinner at the Parrot Club in town.

If you're looking for some "Beach time", the ElSan Juan Hotel has a beautiful stretch of beach & will allow cruisers to relax on it. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the street it's on. (Loook for a very tall/narrow white hotel directly on the beach with the initials ESJ at the top. (they also offer a very nice terrace for lunch if you're hungry).

It would be a shame to miss the charm of Old San Juan by staying on the ship. We've cruised out of OSJ twice, and both times scheduled 3-4 days before AND after so that we could have more time in PR. We have walked the streets at all hours and never felt unsafe; there's a big police presence always. Great shopping, wonderful restaurants, great nightlife -- what's not to like? If you have a rental car (or check with taxi -- can't remember exactly how far it was) go out to Luquillo Beach. It is gorgeous, and you can see the mountain range towering above you with the tops in the rain clouds. Don't pass up the opportunity to visit OSJ!

Nancy D

Okay, so I've read through most of this thread, and have no problem with trying out San Juan on our own, we too live in a big city, and like to experience other cultures.

That being said, is this the thing you would do, in preference to, say, going out and experiencing the rain forest?? We have a whole long day in San Juan, so maybe we could both, but just wondered.

Also, I have read talk about the two ports. I guess I won't know which until I get my documents in late November, but can anyone explain where the two ports are situated?

Wendy: One port - multiple piers. Click on this link for a map to get your bearings of the San Juan harbor area and Old San Juan. It is pretty much a U shaped harbor. You will see on one side the Pan American Pier and on the other side is the OSJ piers. www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

We stayed 2 nights precruise last Nov. and also had plans to spend most of one day at El Yunque but weather forced us to cancel (our concierge told us that even tho it was sunny in osj - there were some bad storms in the mountains and not to drive it ourselves). It is quite a drive out and back and to really see any of the rainforest you need to allow about 3 hours to hike (La Mina waterfall) at the minimum... check out the website (it is a national park) for more info. Just do a search for El Yunque. So yes you can do both but not really experience either very well.

You will have a great time whatever you do....San Juan was great :)

Also, I have read talk about the two ports. I guess I won't know which until I get my documents in late November, but can anyone explain where the two ports are situated?

What ship are you sailing? Does your cruise start in San Juan or is it just stopping there for the day?

Most cruises that are just stopping in San Juan for the day dock at one of the piers in Old San Juan. If there are a lot of ships in port that day, occasionally a ship will get shifted to the Pan Am Pier - but it is usually only the larger RCCL ships.

For cruises that start/end in San Juan, if you are on an RCCL/Celebrity cruise then it sails from the Pan Am Pier. Princess sails from Pier # 4 in Old San Juan as does Carnival, I believe. From what I've read, eventually most cruises will start from the Pan Am Pier, even Princess and Carnival cruises.

We're on Regent's Seven Seas Navigator. We're just there for the day. It's a smaller ship, so I guess Old San Juan it probably is.

Looking up the itinerary for your ship puts you in San Juan on a Thursday. There is no one listed in port on that day, so you will probably be at the OSJ pier. Maybe your ship will show up on the schedule at some point. Try the link below. The Navigator listed currently is RCI.

http://www.continentalshipping.com/Dec2006.htm

Wendy what day are you scheduled to be in San Juan? While Cruisecal is a great website, it is reliant on information being correctly provided by the cruise lines. It is just as likely to be wrong as the Continental Shipping website.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Upon arrival we immediately headed for San Cristobal Fortress on foot. Then on to El Moro Castle via the city wall walkway by the sea. Both were really cool to visit. Very impressive, massive, structures. Cost is $3.00 per person for each site, or $5.00 per person for both sites. It is pretty easy to walk around town as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both. (Check out the restrooms in El Moro. You won't find a restroom anywhere with better views). On the way back to the ship, just off The Street of San Francisco, we stopped at a street cafe for papaya and guava frappes, chips, and guacamole. It was a nice break.

Complete review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/millennium.html

I am one of those people who would stay on the ship next time. Both my husband and I did not enjoy San Juan at all. We had the Frommers guide that a previous poster mentioned and did the walking tour. I found the city very dirty and didn't feel safe. During our time in Old San Juan we witnessed the following:

1) a crazy guy yelling on a street corner who was soon chased by two police officers.

2) a young lady limping on the sidewalk, with a cane. She had no shoes and her foot was cut open and obviously infected.

3) Unbelievable poverty, I couldn't believe the housing that some people were living in (along the city walls between Del Morro and San Cristobal).

4) Several stray dogs, I doubt they had been vaccinated or received proper food.

5) Several people begging for money.

After witnessing the above we decided to head back to the ship. Several other people did the same. Perhaps we were just there on a bad day - but I do know that I was thankful when I was back on the ship.

The photos I did take in Old San Juan came out beautiful - the architecture is amazing and I am glad I went. However, it is something that I have no desire to experience again. I know that some people love it (my grandfather being one of those) but my experience was not a positive one.

Ironically, my next cruise departs from San Juan - but we will be staying at our hotel until it is time to go to the ship.

Sweetie, don't ever come to Miami! You'd hate it.:rolleyes:

1) a crazy guy yelling on a street corner who was soon chased by two police officers.

2) a young lady limping on the sidewalk, with a cane. She had no shoes and her foot was cut open and obviously infected.

3) Unbelievable poverty, I couldn't believe the housing that some people were living in (along the city walls between Del Morro and San Cristobal).

4) Several stray dogs, I doubt they had been vaccinated or received proper food.

5) Several people begging for money.

I've seen worse than this at Disney!

Archived