Humiliated to ask....

luvgreys

Ladies only please....

I will be on the Glory in two weeks. According to Mother Nature, I will be on my period the day that we are to snorkel. I have read conflicting reports on snorkel/diving while menstrating. PLease let me know if you have snorkeled during the "fun" time of the month.

Thanks, and once again, I am sorry to ask. :o

You have nothing to worry about from sharks. In testing, sharks didn't respond to human blood in the water at all, but went crazy when fish blood was introduced to their tank.

They really don't see us as prey at all, with most bites occurring as "test" bites to see what we are (they don't have hands, so they bite to test things). Unfortunately that one little test bite can have fatal consequences, but normally people live, which is always good news.

We've dove many times with sharks and have never once been threatened. You'll be just fine, enjoy your snorkeling!

You have nothing to worry about from sharks. In testing, sharks didn't respond to human blood in the water at all, but went crazy when fish blood was introduced to their tank.

They really don't see us as prey at all, with most bites occurring as "test" bites to see what we are (they don't have hands, so they bite to test things). Unfortunately that one little test bite can have fatal consequences, but normally people live, which is always good news.

We've dove many times with sharks and have never once been threatened. You'll be just fine, enjoy your snorkeling!

So, it sounds like she's safe, but God help the dive master if she doesn't have a good dive.

I've always hoped for a bit of shark attractant effect, but so far it hasn't worked.

For snorkeling, your usual swimming protection will do just fine. However, you may want to wear a dark bathing suit and bring along a cheap, brightly colored beach towel for a sarong just in case.

If you wear a wetsuit, just leave it on until you can hit the shower.

I actually forgot my own towel last month, and had to ask a lady I had met the night before to bring me back one from her shopping trip in St. Maarten.

I also got to spend a full dive day in my wetsuit, including back onto the ship as there were no rinse/change facilities. It did generate some stares as I strolled through the entire ship in booties, wetsuit, sunglasses & hat while toting a full set of dive gear.

But on the good side, nobody was maimed although I was the only lady on the boat! (ha ha JMikeC)

Have a great time and don't worry about it!

Wendy

Ladies only please....

I will be on the Glory in two weeks. According to Mother Nature, I will be on my period the day that we are to snorkel. I have read conflicting reports on snorkel/diving while menstrating. PLease let me know if you have snorkeled during the "fun" time of the month.

Thanks, and once again, I am sorry to ask. :o

I am so glad you asked that question, i have been wanting to post this for weeks but was not quite sure how to word it.

I now feel safe, thanks to all the answers and will be snorkeling in shark infested water while on my "happy time", as my DH calls it.

It is a close call. I am hoping that it comes before, but I do not know. I did not want to take the stuff that makes it stop, because I would like to try and get pregnant in the next few months. I will let you know when I get back.

Sooo what is the usual swimming protection mean. I am not trying to be stupid, but just a stick? (Sorry ladies I am speaking in code here):o

luvsgreys,

Ok, enough code... lol.. I know this is embarassing but it's a fact of life.. What I meant by "swimming protection" was using Tampons versus pads but also, to watch the flow... If your flowing heavy and can't control it with Tampons, then maybe skip snorkeling as you'll be so worried about it anyways.. Pads are messy when in the water and stuff goes everywhere.. I never go in the water or a pool if I have to wear a pad.... Just my opinion and comfort level.... And Tampons don't explode in the water while snorkeling or diving.... I hope this helps and that you feel more comfortable...;)

DH and I went on a shark dive last January while I was on my period. This was not my original plan. We had planned on going to Costa Maya and diving there. Our ship was diverted to Playa the night before. I hadn't been diving in over a year, and the only dive shop we could find without prior reservations that would leave in time for us to make it back was a harpoon dive! I was nervous, but also dying to finally go diving after waiting so long. On our dive, we came within about 40 feet of several bull sharks that were trying to get the poor fish our divemaster had harpooned. None of them had ANY interest in me or the fact that it was my time of month. I would say you are safe. Those sharks couldn't care less about us. Have fun!

Sharks don't care about anything human, especially where there are/have been alot of divers and they are familiar with those strange four-armed octopi with bad smelling skin!!:eek:

Just don't keep a struggling and/or bleeding fish with you ;)

Have fun!!

• 3 weeks later...
luvsgreys,

Ok, enough code... lol.. I know this is embarassing but it's a fact of life.. What I meant by "swimming protection" was using Tampons versus pads but also, to watch the flow... If your flowing heavy and can't control it with Tampons, then maybe skip snorkeling as you'll be so worried about it anyways.. Pads are messy when in the water and stuff goes everywhere.. I never go in the water or a pool if I have to wear a pad.... Just my opinion and comfort level.... And Tampons don't explode in the water while snorkeling or diving.... I hope this helps and that you feel more comfortable...;)

I could never imagine anyone thinking of using a pad, I think that is a disgusting idea!

Tampons are hygienic as the mess is kept within!

I could never imagine anyone thinking of using a pad, I think that is a disgusting idea!

Tampons are hygienic as the mess is kept within!

My point exactly.... I don't use anything else.... And especially in water..

Well it was that "Fun" time for me the whole freakin week! I handled it just fine. Once got in the water I never had any problems. My doc also told me to take 4 advil every 6 hours to slow the flow, and it worked. I snorkeled in Belize, and Costa Maya..yes with tampons (Super plus) and I was fine. I enjoyed the snorkeling so much, and I forgot about my period.

• 1 year later...

Ladies-

The ultimate product has now arrived. I found the Diva Cup, and had no problems with it on our trip on the Galaxy a couple of weeks ago. (I can't use the Instead product)

The website is http://www.divacup.com

It's the best gadget in the world, but does have a little bit of a learning curve on insertion and retrieval, especially in the confines of a cruise ship bathroom. I would recommend using a panty shield to catch any stray drips until you get fast with the cleaning procedure.

There was no problem with leaking AT ALL, even though I was diving on two heavy days, and one of the dives was 90 feet on my heaviest day. I emptied it before we went, when we came back, in the evening, and before bed. No more being locked up in my wetsuit all day!!!!!!

I've used my Diva Cup for four months now, and so far, it seems to have cut WAY down on the cramps, which is a definite plus.

I bought it on drugstore.com, which seems to have a really good price, and some good on-line coupon codes available as well.

Happy Diving!

Wendy

Archived