What is the one food item not to be missed??????

NiniB

On Princess I love the flying fish (no kidding) it is in some kind of coulis and I tried it on a whim and it was excellent. I also like the James Beard recipe french toast they serve on the last day's breakfast. Yum!

I agree - the Flying Fish is VERY good (then again, so was everything my family and I all had :) ). It was served on Caribbean Night. For those interested, I've included the menu description...

...from Barbados: "A Very Traditional Flying Fish with Coo-Coo" It is described as, "Rolled Fish Filet Braised in a Tomato Sauce and Native Herbs, Presented Over Nest of Malanga Tubero (Okra-Polenta Pudding)"

• 5 weeks later...

Don't miss: The Chocolate Lasagne on Oceania! Wonderful pizza on Princess!

Zydecocruiser......where was the picture of that dinner taken? It looks like an airline meal, except the tray table looked too big.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't see a lot of mention of the food on this ship. Do they have the Grand Marnier souffle? What about that midnight chocolate buffet? Somebody posted a picture and it looks awesome! I love CHOCOLATE! Do they offer anything decent that's sugar free? I know, that sounds like an oxymoron, but I'm diabetic (don't take medication; control by diet and exercise), so I do need to be somewhat in control!

Thanks for any info!

redfish1, that's awesome that you're able to control your diabetes with diet instead of resorting to insulin, but be aware of what you're putting in your body when you eat artificial sweeteners. The stuff really is poison. Ask me if you'd like more details.

And if you really like chocolate but want to keep the sugar down, you can always try out 100% cocoa chocolate or even raw cocoa nibs ... I have a bag sitting on my desk. They're great to munch on.

Hi David (remember, we're on the same cruise!), and thanks! Afraid to ask for details of the articficial sweetners. Even Splenda? I don't drink very many Diet Cokes, but I do like iced tea with sweetner. Mostly, I drink water, though. Where do you get those raw cocoa nibs? Are they dark chocolate, and how much less sugar? I really prefer dark chocolate, but I like chocolate, period!

yep, I remember you from the roll call thread. Sorry to say this, and I can't use enough emphasis to really say this how I would like: ESPECIALLY Splenda! Here's some reading for you:

http://rense.com/general65/splend.htm

http://www.deepdownwellness.com/althealth/splenda.html

http://www.healthylivingnyc.com/article/137

Basically, the chlorine molecules in sucralose (Splenda) can't be digested in your body. Most of them get flushed out (hence the 0 calories), but depending on how your body functions 10-50% get stored long term in fat deposits. You know that smell of an overchlorinated pool? Think about that same chemical being lodged in body fat for literally decades!

Here's a link to another post I made about artificial sweeteners on this board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=295687

You can find raw cocoa nibs at a lot of organic grocery stores or online. Here's one of many links you can find:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/coco_nibs.htm

They're pieces of cooa beans in their raw state so they don't have any sugar at all ... just pure chocolate flavor. I'll try to remember to bring a stash of good chocolate on the cruise ... dark of course (it's the only way to eat chocolate as far as I'm concerned).

Tea is the best alternative to water there is ... green is better than black (more antioxidants). If you want to sweeten it, I would suggest either using raw unfiltered honey or agave nectar. Both are good natural sweeners that won't spike your blood sugar level.

Basically, the chlorine molecules in sucralose (Splenda) can't be digested in your body. Most of them get flushed out (hence the 0 calories), but depending on how your body functions 10-50% get stored long term in fat deposits. You know that smell of an overchlorinated pool? Think about that same chemical being lodged in body fat for literally decades!

This makes zero sense. For something to be stored as fat it must be digested, and fat cell is a fat cell is a fat cell (more correctly termed as adipose tissue), and once the body stores energy as adipose tissue it no longer knows nor cares about the source of that energy. As for sucralose the main complaint about it is that in its manufacture chlorine is added to the sugar sucrose molicule, and binds with carbon. The worry is that at certain levels chlorocarbons are toxic, however, there are two factors in their toxicity, the first is digestibility, which sucralose is not, and the second is that the toxin must be fat soluble, which this particular form of again is not. If you know of someone who has died as a result of eating sucralose, I am sure that the regulators at the EU or FDA would love to hear from, at this point they have dismissed all of the pseudo-science around sucralose.

I have no connection nor have I ever had any connection to Tate & Lyle, and find the flavor of artificial sweeteners to be vile, but I will not sit back and witness pseudo-science running amok.

Let me try to find the source about fat storage ... as to if anybody has died, I can point you to at least one firsthand case of a miscarriage due to Splenda usage. Now we may be getting into gray areas of the whole "when life begins" debate, but I would consider that a death.

And honestly, I trust the FDA about as far as I can throw them ...

Edit: ok, let me ammend my statement. Sucralose is very close to DDT in its chemical composition. DDT is fat soluble. Not necessary A = C, more A implies C. My appologies on that. Maybe this well better help explain what I was trying to communicate:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

Archived