All Things Carnival Spirit

sea_u_onboard

We booked the 9:00 with Captain Larry. Had no problem at all in fact we had about 45 minutes to shop before. The Spirit docked like at 7:00-7:30 and we just walked off and down to Orca Enterprises - about 4-5 blocks. This was a great tour. Saw lots of whales and there was only 25-30 people on board. We just came back on 8-24-06. On the Spirit from 8-16 to 8-23 Southbound. The Orca Bus dropped us off at Coastal Helicoptier - which we had booked with Orca. Landing on the Glacier - was by far the high light of the trip. We were in Alaska with land tour and cruise a total of 15 days.

Yeah, they had no problem at all switching us to the later trip. There were probably 50 people on our trip, but it was not at all uncomfortable......except when they were serving snacks and you couldn't easily get in and out to the deck.

Maybe there is a big difference in arrival time depending on whether you are traveling NB or SB? We were NB and arrived right at 9 and were docked directly across from Orca - right by the tram entrance.

Great ! I'm hoping not to overpack. We are doing 4 days pre-cruise and the plan is to wash before we get on the ship.

I also read somewhere that some do their laundry in port. I guess that's an alternative - as you can do many loads. Just not sure that's how I want to spend my time in port. If it was just me and DH no problem - but I swear the 2 boys don't know how to wear something twice.

That explains it - there is a difference. SB comes in at 7. I think I will go with the 9:30 and get it out of the way early. Lots to do in Juneau.

I booked the 9:30 (weeks ago). I want to go out first thing and then not have to worry about having to be somewhere at a certain time the rest of the day. Plus, I wanted to go out with Capt. Larry.

I believe I've read in a couple reviews where folks were offered the chance to take another trip later in the day (if there are openings) at a discounted price. I may even opt for that.

You know, sea_u, I went out to cruisecal and on our SB voyage (next SB after yours), we are never in port with more than 3 ships. And, we did have at least one port where we are currently listed as the only ship (can't remember which one right now and don't have my notes here with me). There's another HUGE plus to the Spirit's itinerary!

When I was researching Alaska I considered other lines - even thoug I am a die-hard Carnival fan. I just found that the Spirit's itinerary and the times in port were the best. 4 ports and not much action (as far as other ships) while in port. Plus - the others were more expensive for a smaller cabin. Can't beat the deal I got on this trip.

Hi all, great thread! We've just booked on the NB next August.

Would someone be able to confirm for me that the partition between balconies does open on the Spirit? They did on the Miracle and I assumed the same with a sister ship.. but my PVP is saying not.:confused:

Maybe it's just some of them and I can move. We're in 6226 and 6228. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Johnny

Hi all, great thread! We've just booked on the NB next August.

Would someone be able to confirm for me that the partition between balconies does open on the Spirit? They did on the Miracle and I assumed the same with a sister ship.. but my PVP is saying not.:confused:

Maybe it's just some of them and I can move. We're in 6226 and 6228. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Johnny

While on the Spirit in 2004 I was told by my steward that for security reasons they do not open the particians. Being that my group always books cabins together and had never had this problem on any other ship, I headed to the pursers deck to inquire. I was told NO once again. Not happy about it I waited another day and went back to ask again, NO. So I assume that unless they have changed the policy it will still be NO, which is a huge bummer. We have the wrap around and 2 stern extended balconies for Alaksa 2007 and the entire stern along with both port and starboard deposited for our Mexico sailing in 2008 and sure hope to get them opened up for the party patio.

This certainly has me confused now - we had no problem on the Miracle and she's a Spirit class. Here is the email from my PVP. Can anyone who's been on the Spirit confirm or refute any of this?

The balconies do not connect on any floor on the Spirit. The partition does not collapse. My information comes from the individual room descriptions on the ship. Do you know where the Cruise Critic is getting their information? They are very reliable. Let me know

Thanks,

Johnny

This certainly has me confused now - we had no problem on the Miracle and she's a Spirit class. Here is the email from my PVP. Can anyone who's been on the Spirit confirm or refute any of this?

The balconies do not connect on any floor on the Spirit. The partition does not collapse. My information comes from the individual room descriptions on the ship. Do you know where the Cruise Critic is getting their information? They are very reliable. Let me know

Thanks,

Johnny

Gee I have sailed CCL 16 times so would think I could be considered reliable.. I went back to my Spirit photos and see that the particians do indeed have the "door" in them. Not sure how reliable the PVP's insider is.

I wonder if it depends on the itinerary. I know that the Mexician Riviera is very windy on some days (read - not experienced) - maybe too windy for the doors to be open. I'm just guessing here.

I guess we need to hear from somebody who has / or has tried to open them on the Alaska route.

We were on Spirit this last week and were in 6240. The balconies definitely have doors. We didn't ask for them to be opened but I saw one open on the deck below us and also our friends in 6242 had to get the steward to come and lock the partition from her balcony to 6244 because it had been open and was banging loudly when we set sail from Vancouver. I know this isn't really a definitive answer but it would seem that it may be possible to have it opened.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheryl,

while on the Spirit this year, we were told to head to the pursers desk early to have our partitions on the balcony opened, as they only open so many. We decided after being told that while the partition was open it blocked the door to our room, to not open the partition.

Julie

That's the real bummer about how some of the ship's partitions are set-up. While on the Conquest we had 3 cabins in the row. Two of the cabins the partition didn't interfer with the doors but the third one we had to bungie the partition to the door handle so it would open and close with the door. What a pain.

You would think they could come up with a better design by now.

I know this question was asked but couldn't find where it was answered.

On the southbound route - which night is the best night to book the supper club?

I don't really want to go the 1st night onboard and the second (cruising)and fifth nights (Skagway) are formal nights. Juneau is a possiblity - as we are planning to be on shore for most of the day - and plan to have early dining - so we could set something up for around 8 or 9 - but is it better to be on the water when in the supper club? Are there views from there? Just not sure if we will be up to the supper club after being on shore all day either.

Sitka might be a nice night. We have to be onboard by 6:30 - and we plan to make that an easy day.

Ketchikan is out since we will be fishing all afternoon and I just don't think I will have the energy.

The last night I don't want to miss the dining room - SOOOOO

I think I just narrowed it down.

Juneau while in port

-OR-

Sitka at sea

Which would you pick?

I know this question was asked but couldn't find where it was answered.

On the southbound route - which night is the best night to book the supper club?

Sitka might be a nice night. We have to be onboard by 6:30 - and we plan to make that an easy day.

The last night I don't want to miss the dining room - SOOOOO

I think I just narrowed it down.

Juneau while in port

-OR-

Sitka at sea

Which would you pick?

Cheryl- I would pick Sitka, primarily because you'll still be able to view the scenery because of the extended time of daylight. The view from Juneau is static- Douglas on one side and the souvenir shops near the pier at Juneau on the other. You may be able to see Mt. Roberts tramway, but I would rather be sailing.

Archived