Istanbul (Turkey) - leaving tomorrow is it safe?

alex0000

This will be my first Windstar Cruise and am a little disappointed in the information that they give me when I call to ask if the cruise is going to go this weekend.

I'm booked to go on the Istanbul to Athens cruise that leaves this Saturday (I leave tomorrow morning for Istanbul). If you have not heard there have been multiple terrorist attacks there last night and some places are advising Americans not to go.

I've called Windstar twice and they told me first that management hasn't arrived yet so they don't know if they are going to sale or not. My travel agent told me to call back in the afternoon. I'm just sitting here waiting to see what they decide. If the cruise goes and I don't then we lost 100% -- next time I will certainly think about travel insurance.

Is there anyone else out there that's going on this trip?

Any suggestions?

It seems like there is one real incident in Istanbul. If I were in your situation, I would go and have a great time. Remember, Istanbul is a large city and you will only be there for one day. Just stay away from very public transportation.

P.S. My wife and I have been on the Istanbul to Athens cruise and loved it. You will have a great time.

The ship will sail regardless as it must return to Athens to pick up the next group. What with Bush and all the other being in town security will be even tighter than it normally is. I wouldn't be worried if I were in your place. We made this same trip several years ago - it is a wonderful itinerary and the Turks we met were very gracious to us. Be sure to have your U.S. money ready when you get to the airport in Istanbul so that you can purchase your entry vias. I forget how much it is, but they only take cash, or, at least that was the case when we traveled there.

I agree. Windstar has the responsibility to resolve any travel disruptions you may encounter unless and until they notify you, officially, to the contrary.

Your responsibility is to be aware, available to get last minute info, and make a reasonable effort to contact Windstar.

Sounds like you should go, enjoy yourself (you'll love the Windstar experience) and enjoy Istanbul, a fabulous city.

Istanbul is great and they love Americans over all. We were there during during some serious political rallies in 2001 and just avoided those parts of town. The mosques and the Grand Bazaar were unaffected. Go and enjoy yourself!

Archived