Inside Edition - Story on Cruise Ship Drinking

reallyitsmema, I am sorry I made a mistake, Im not perfect that why I ask if anyone else can find it...see if you can do better. My apologies.:confused:

I only pointed out that their is a current thread that you might want to post your link to where people are discussing the story. The thread you posted to is 6 years old. Not sure why you have issue with that.

On the other hand if everyone practiced personal responsibility there would be no need for laws, police, the court system... you get the idea.

Personal responsibility? There is no such thing in today's America.

I watched this story tonight as well; and was going to post a link.

It made me sick; I emailed inside edition first. Telling them not all ships are party ships. Cruising being shown as a 'spring break' for adults.

It made very angry to see them put the negative spin. Many are not going to spend their hard earned vacation dollars and time being drunk for the entire cruise.

Just watched an Inside Edition story about a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas. I was disgusted at how they made the story to appear as if the only reason people cruise is to over consume alcohol and put themselves in danger. They started out the story talking about the travesty that people start drinking as soon as they get on the ship, and the cruise line starts pushing the "drink of the day" right away. They were appalled that people would consider drinking before muster considering the Costa Concordia. They also talked about how people not only over indulge on the ship but at the port as well (Cozumel).

Now, they probably took a cruise during spring break on a 4 day cruise. Most of us stay away from those cruises, but they made it sound as if this happens on every cruise and that the cruise line should be responsible for these people. They showed kids that couldn't stand up themselves or were passed out around the ship. At the end, they showed some kid that was drinking late at the bar, ended up on the outside promenade and jumped over the railing to his death. Now, tell me why the cruise line should be responsible for that.

I was so upset about the story since this is not what happens on the typical cruise. I might consider starting my vacation with a drink. How can that be such a travesty. It happens on land and sea. People will drink too much. The people that over indulge should be responsible for their own actions. Thus, the term "drink responsibly".

Sorry, wanted to post the link but it isn't on the website yet. Probably available in the next couple of days.

Good heavens, man...you know what the most irresponsible part of this story is?...you watching Inside Edition!:eek:;)

there is a CNBC special that is now on Netflix, called Cruise Inc.. CNBC played is quite a few times.

Its very interesting.

Lets not fool ourselves. The cruise companies are businesses, and businesses are made to make money.

In the show, NCL said that every passenger has to drink on average 6 drinks to stay profitable (probably the margin of profit that they themselves created).

I would imagine that every passenger can also mean a person who drinks 12 cocktails.

Now if you recall your cruise:

Street parties - fun parties, made to have people stay up late, and buy drinks and goods.

Pool decks: music, games and relaxation with people walking around to sell you alcohol.

Shows: alcohol sales

Quest: alcohol sales

Dinner: alcohol sales

Before and After Parties: Alcohol sales

The reality here is if people want their cruise to be somewhat affordable, just relax and let the cruise line do their thing.

If you want to be on a cruise line where people stay out of your way and don't hawk booze and items, then you will pay for it.

That show was so one-sided. Of course people drink on a cruise - they aren't driving, so why not? But to say everyone pushes drinks is insane. I have been on the upper deck, reading and sunbathing, and the guys would come around and ask if I wanted a drink. If I said "no, thank you" they were fine with that. If I said yes, they would bring me a drink, and the next time I would say "no, thank you", they were great! It is all about personal accountability.

I've been at the Cozumel place that was in the story. I just didn't get into the conga line!!! Good grief! It was not the cruise line's fault that people over-indulged.

And the napping...oh, yeah...love it. But I don't nap because I am drunk. I nap because I am so relaxed!!

Just my thoughts.

Barb

Yes some people do over drink but not all. I rarely drink at home maybe twice a year? When we go out to dinner. When we cruise I like to enjoy a few because I know I will NOT be driving any where and we usually cruise with out the kids so I know I have no one else to be responsable for . My DH drinks when we cruise becasue he is relaxed no work, no driving and no kids.

As far as the ports (love cozumel AND Cancun been to both on land vacations ) we shop when in ports or do a snorkling excursion.We might have a drink . I will if we find a Hard Rock Cafe,.I collect the hurricane glasses. DH might even have 2 but we are not kids and are pretty responsible.

I hate when non cruise lovers start talking about the horrors of cruising...you could drown ...or get lost. Oh it would be boring to be on a "boat" for a week . People that love cruising have to take it with a grain of salt (sometimes around the rim of a glass :eek: )

I need to say it. I had to smile, big huge smile when I didn't see the Carnival Whale Tail and they said Royal Caribbean. I've been on 8 Carnival cruises with two booked. Carnival is the one aways getting bashed. I love my Carnival Cruise Line, I have nothing to compare it to, but you will never hear me bash another cruise line. Still Smile:)ing!!!

I do think pushing booze or making booze a part of every evening event is a bit much. Most are correct that you can say no and I am a firm believer in this for myself and my family.

At the same time folks who have trouble with the personal responsibility put my family at risk and at the very least infringe on our trip. I do think the cruise industry has its own in house rules.

Funny but true story ~ My elderly Father in law was boarding NCL from one of the islands .. I can't remember which one off the top of my head. He had not been drinking but slipped and fell going up the ramp and my mother in law had to help him the rest of the way. The security there assumed he was drunk. He had to speak with the captain to explain he was not drunk, just a clumsy fool in order to have the alcohol ban taken off of his account. We tease him about this humiliating event still!

So at least some cruise lines (and I suspect all) do have an in house way of handling those who drink too much. I am sure there are guest who fall through the cracks however and I am sure the media was sitting and waiting for those particular guest.

I think the only way this could have been a fair piece is if they had compared the cruise ship drunks with the Vegas drunks, the Mardi Gras tourist drunks and any other tourist type place. In relation to those, cruise ships are tame.

I wanted to add that the ports do get out of hand at times!

I was in Costa Maya during spring break a few years back. Do any of you know the pool bar right off the dock there? I saw college kids swimming and cutting up in that pool with huge chunks of puke floating! OHHHH it almost ruined my day and I had that I am about to be ill feel when I saw that!!!

In that pool there was more then 1 person who threw up and tons of throw up floating around. The younger college aged kids would just push it away and swim on by :eek:

This has nothing to do with cruise ships. This is the ports and companies at the ports.

Which was it? Smuggled or served?

I took my 14, 16 and 18 yr old (I'm not going to lie ... know my 16 and 18 yr olds drink with the friends on occassion) on Rhapsody over spring break. Told them NO drinking ... and they didn't. they also had to check in with me at a designated area every 2-3 hours, otherwise they ran the ship.

I believe the parents need to be held accountable as well.

Good for you.

Just a side note: Last year on the Freedom (June) somehow my 16 year old son seapass card had no holes in it. We didn't think anything of it until we were off the ship. If it happened to us, it could happen to others.

Just saying...

The drinking age in many European countries is 16. Having alcohol at that age is perfectly acceptable. Do have the issues we do with"underage" drinking if they teach responsibility at an early age? My kids went to Aruba several years ago with their father and the drinking age was 14.

I thought seapass cards were coded to prevent this ?

I have heard and read in several places/people that cruise lines do try their best to keep underage drinking down with the seapass cards. There is a certain amount of human error you have to take into account. While issuing those cards the crew members have mistakenly forgot to punch the holes.

So for those parents who have teens it is worth it to double check before leaving the check in area to make sure it was taken care of. If you forget I am sure you can go to customer service and get it fixed but much easier to check while there at check in.

I am cruising with my 2 teenage sons, this is their first cruise. My oldest is 17 but will be turning 18 soon after we board. My other knuckle head is 15 and will be 16 a few weeks after we get home. Neither of my boys have ever been caught drinking. My oldest isn't the party/drinking type but my 15 year old is. He laughingly admitted that he would seriously take advantage of the situation if they forgot to punch his card. I think his quote was something like, "Not only can I drink but I can drink on Dad's dime?! OHHH Yeah it would be time to party!!" :rolleyes:

I grew up going on cruises (and other vacations) and I can tell you I drank before I was of age...maybe in the 90's it wasnt monitored as much...but i blame my parents not the cruises. I ran the ship the entire week and only checked in for family dinners. And as someone else stated the ports were even more so than the ships. Looking back now i feel lucky i wasnt one of those awful stories that you hear o the news.

Now that i have my own kids i will keep a better eye (and proverbial leash) on them than my parenta did me!

I am sure this was already asked but how do some of these posters know exactly how old these people are. Someone mentioned that they saw a 13 yo drinking and had to be carried off. How did you know their age? I was on the Voyager from 3/31 to 4/6 and i was up at all hours (I'm a night owl) and while I saw kids around at those hours I never once saw a single one of them with an alcoholic beverage and believe me I look for that stuff because in my day I was a wild child! I know it doesnt mean that it didnt happen just because I didnt see it but if it is as widespread an epidemic as reported it should stand to reason that I would have seen someone drinking!

Just saw an Inside Edition story that was, to say the least, very unflattering for Royal Caribbean. The expose showed excessive and underage drinking on one of it's ships. The point of the story was that the cruise line did nothing to control the situation but willingly continued to serve people and allow 14 and 16 year olds to drink until they passed out.

Comments?

CaptainG

IMO i blame the parents, they need to be controlling their kids and watching for this sort of thing, is RCCL some what responsible, yes they are, but is this by any means 100% their fault........NO, parents need to be held responsible for this sort of behavior.

Archived