Day Tour to Pompeii from Rome

If anybody has taken a day tour from Rome to Pompeii and had a good experience, would you please let me know. We have seen Rome but would like to see Pompeii. We are going a couple of days early before our Transatlantic Cruise on Golden Princess this fall so have a day free. Also, am concerned about cancellation charges in case we are delayed getting to Rome. I have a quote from Bob's Limousines and Tours for 380 Euros in a Mercedes and they pick up at the hotel. But seems a little steep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If anybody has taken a day tour from Rome to Pompeii and had a good experience, would you please let me know. We have seen Rome but would like to see Pompeii. We are going a couple of days early before our Transatlantic Cruise on Golden Princess this fall so have a day free. Also, am concerned about cancellation charges in case we are delayed getting to Rome. I have a quote from Bob's Limousines and Tours for 380 Euros in a Mercedes and they pick up at the hotel. But seems a little steep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We did a day trip from Rome to Pompeii via Naples 2 years ago as were staying in Rome(no cruise),but we did it through a tour by bus.It was a good trip actually as it was not a huge group,and we had a good guide going as well as at Pompeii.It was 139 US PP so 380 € for private car is not really out of line if you want to go this way.If this price includes a guide as well it is ok,if not you will have to hire a guide at Pompeii,but I also bet you could stop at some other places as well if you have them for the day.You could always ask about cancellation charges if your arrival is delayed,but we have never had a problem flying inot Rome.There are other private divers,but some of them add on big time if you want a guide as well.You could also take the trasin to Naples and then to Pompeii scavi stop and hire a guide right there and then train it back to Rome if you did not want to commit to hiring someone.Your hotle should be able to help you as well if you wante dto wait.

Karen, Thanks for the info. No guide was included with the car rate - it was another 120 Euro for a guide at Pompei. I did find a bus trip that is much cheaper (~$125 USD) but with no cancellation allowed (i.e. forfeit the money if you are not there). Do you remember the name of the bus company that you used for your tour? I check Gray Line and that is the price above. Appreciate the help.

Karen, Thanks for the info. No guide was included with the car rate - it was another 120 Euro for a guide at Pompei. I did find a bus trip that is much cheaper (~$125 USD) but with no cancellation allowed (i.e. forfeit the money if you are not there). Do you remember the name of the bus company that you used for your tour? I check Gray Line and that is the price above. Appreciate the help.

I really do not remember the name of the tour/bus company we used..I booked it before we left through the agent we used as it was easier to pay for all the trip before we left as we were traveling all around Italy by train etc.The hotel we stayed in had the same brochures as they used the same.Gray Line is good and I would go with them if you want to prebook.I know a lot of people just"must" travel independently,but some of the bus tours we have done have been pretty good,and we have never had a problem.If you are booking for the day after you land in Rome I bet you will be just fine as they do like to have you book a day ahead.I suppoed you could wait until you alnd and get to your hotel if it's going to worry you and you should be fine.That is a good price and I just bet you stop at the cameo factory too....actually it isn't bad and the cameo's are really pretty.Do take water with you or get some before you go up the steps to the ruins...you will need it even if it is in the fall..

As the poster above suggested, contextrome is a sight well worth visiting and using their services as well. I believe they have a self guided package too. That way you could take the train and go at your own pace. Earlier this month we did their three hour walking tour of Trestevere, it was excellent.

Enjoy !

check out www.greenlinetours.com ~ Els

Thanks to all who responded - I did check out Green Line and that looks great. I also checked out www.contextrome.com and we would love to use them but they don't have anything scheduled for the time we will be in Rome. I will continue to check their web site as that looks like a great tour. If that does not work, will probably try Green Line. Again, thanks to all.

Archived