Grand Turk Shore Excursions

jprrt

We are sailing in the Elation in June. One of the stops is Grand Turk. Was very surprised at the price of the shore excursions. Is if just me or are the excursions on Grand Turk much more than any other port?

We are sailing in the Elation in June. One of the stops is Grand Turk. Was very surprised at the price of the shore excursions. Is if just me or are the excursions on Grand Turk much more than any other port?

I dunno the answer to that question BUT I can say that the dune buggies sell out and IMHO they are worth every penny.... if you aren't adventuresome do the island tour... or snorkel... Dune buggies sell out early and online... more later.. just got back.. it will be hotter n' Hades there in June.. take plenty of sunscreen as there is NO shade..

Caroline - one more question about the dune buggy excursion!! How did you book it - was it through the cruise ship or how online ? We are going to be there in December on the Zuiderdam and fortunately will be the only ship in port that day. Also, can more than one person fit in a dune buggy (one person driving, other a passenger!). There are four of us going, but one of my kids will not be quite 18yrs old yet. Thanks so much for your help!

Kinda off topic, but how do you know what ships are going to be in port the day you pull in?:confused: We're going to be in Grand Turk on July 10th, and I'd love to know if we are the only ship that day.

Kinda off topic, but how do you know what ships are going to be in port the day you pull in?:confused: We're going to be in Grand Turk on July 10th, and I'd love to know if we are the only ship that day.

You can find out on GT site as well.. just go to http://www.grandturkcc.com and look on the schedules link... there are only 1-2 days in the next few months with more than one ship there. Only thing I noticed is it says 7:30-2 for Fantasy on all calls and we were there 10-4.

I did a fairly detailed review of our Elation cruise including Grand Turk. For the most part I would simply suggest you make it a beach day and get off early to get a decent spot. Other than that the people that did the excursions were a little mixed in the reviews. They were glad they did them to say they did them, but they wouldn't do them again. They got some info about the average house price etc. We didn't do any excursions and laid low on the beach and by the pool. Based on the video they show on board of the days activities - very few people went on the hiking trip (it would be VERY hot when you are going), and the dune buggies appeared to be going mostly through town on paved roads. Again, we didn't participate in either of these, but based on the number of people on the ship, the beach, and at Margaritaville, most people didn't do an excursion.

I saw a posting that it seems like CCL is basically buying the island to make it another private revenue stream... I can agree with that at this point. There is really nothing to do there in the town except the cruise terminal with the shops from the locals. In time it may expand and there may be people doing private tours, but nothing yet.

Host Caroline,

Do you know how long it takes for the complete circle of the hop on/hop off bus? Any feedback on those who took it? Is it worth the $44 that Princess charges or can you book it once you are there?

Is the beach area close to where the ship docks? Any charge to use it?

We are sailing on 7/2 on the Crown Princess and any info would be helpful.

MARAPRINCE

.... and the dune buggies appeared to be going mostly through town on paved roads. Again, we didn't participate in either of these, but based on the number of people on the ship, the beach, and at Margaritaville, most people didn't do an excursion.

ahh... you didn't see the dune buggies on anything but a very very short portion of the tour on paved roads.. we went on back trails to Dunn Hill and salt marshes, through a quarry, a couple of farmyards etc.. it was great fun and definitely NOT a road tour.. not a big fan of ship tours but we all rate this up there with America's Cup.. even the 20-somethings on the tour loved it.. and very few gone for that out of some 1800(?) pax because only 40 per day can do this!

Re the circle tour I don't think they have a set time.. they say 2.5 hours and based on how long it took us to come back from lighthouse (we went off road and some on road at 40mph at least) I woudl say that is pretty accurate. Not much in town.. but views from our perspective were awesome.. Don't really know a thing about beaches or tours there to beach/snorkel cause no one we know did that!

I stand corrected :) I hoped I gave that advice with enough grains of salt to not sound like I knew too awfully much! I did see a post from someone that was on our trip that took that excursion. She did have fun but thought the $99 might have been a little steep. Your review of it sounds a like a lot more fun than what I saw on the travel video! They are selling that excursion short of its full potential.

Is this a Carnival Travel video you're talking about? (we didn't watch TV so maybe that's where it was).... Dennis and his guys are great guides and that also made this an awesome excursion.. but that being said I LOVE amusement parks, roller coasters that don't go up side down and truly have a need for speed... :D .. If you don't take it as somewhat of an "adventure" in a new place it might seem steep but no one in the 10 buggies our day felt short changed....and it costs to maintain these etc.

Host Caroline: We are in GT on 5/24 and my dad has dialysis scheduled there at 8:00 AM. Was there any reason for your 10-4 schedule instead of 7-2:30??? OMG, I am freaking out. He needs that treatment. :eek: HELP!

i realize that ports may change and port times may change as well. that is why i have booked dialysis at every port even though he only needs one treatment. this is just the first time i have heard of a different port time at grand turk so i was wondering if there were other ships that made it there at different times. the dialysis nurse is willing to be very flexible with times so my dad gets his treatment. she is fully aware that we may be there early in the morning or a little later.

i realize that ports may change and port times may change as well. that is why i have booked dialysis at every port even though he only needs one treatment. this is just the first time i have heard of a different port time at grand turk so i was wondering if there were other ships that made it there at different times. the dialysis nurse is willing to be very flexible with times so my dad gets his treatment. she is fully aware that we may be there early in the morning or a little later.

The Sat. departures are in Grand Turk from I think 7:30-2:30 on Monday and the Monday departures are in Grand Turk from 10-4... or at least that is how it has been. We were supposed to get there at 10 but were there just before 9:30 so everyone was already getting off before 10.

Thanks for the info! I cannot tell you guys how awesome the dialysis nurses at the Grand Turk are! They told me they will have a machine ready for my dad no matter what time we get there! I'm very impressed with how accomodating and friendly and generous with their time they have been. Looking forward to Grand Turk. Looks beautiful!

ahh... you didn't see the dune buggies on anything but a very very short portion of the tour on paved roads.. we went on back trails to Dunn Hill and salt marshes, through a quarry, a couple of farmyards etc.. it was great fun and definitely NOT a road tour.. not a big fan of ship tours but we all rate this up there with America's Cup.. even the 20-somethings on the tour loved it.. and very few gone for that out of some 1800(?) pax because only 40 per day can do this!

Host Caroline: On the dune buggy excursion, they have a weight limit of 250 lbs. Did you see anything that made this rule be put in place? I'm a little over 250 :o , but carry it well (people can't believe it when I tell them my weight). I'd hate to miss out on the excursion for not meeting the 250.

I didn't see anyone (or I don't remember seeing anyone) who looked like they might be near a weight limit and we were outside so no scales. We had to sign a couple of waivers, but I didn't really read them (I know I should have but realized that if I get hurt, it's not their fault - basically that's what it said).

If we were going to do a "do-it-yourself" thing (i.e. no official cruiseline excursion), what would you recommend?

I read the Cruise Critic Port of Call notes, seems like there isn't all that much to do in town. I'm thinking of hanging out at a beach, maybe doing some snorkeling, and then getting a bite to eat in town. Any recommendations for specific sites?

Are the places close and easy to get to? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Archived