new discounts

meow!

Silversea has announced on its website two new "silver sailings" at 50% discount, namely #3427 and #3433. Both are twelve day voyages this year, from Puerto Caldera to Puerto Caldera, in October and November respectively. The discounted verandah suite (345 sq.ft.) prices are $3485 and $3785.

On Oceania's website, they also have a similar twelve day itinerary, Puerto Caldera to Valparaiso, in December, 5-17 (not at Christmas, but the shopping period before). Their price (including return economy air fare from North America) for a PH minisuite (322 sq.ft.) is $4199. So if you allow $1000 for the air fare, but add on $13 per day of tips (including butler tips), and say $20 for drinks, the nett total becomes $3595, right in the same range as Silversea.

I read in the Oceania column that some customers have trouble booking PH minsuites on Oceania, but instead Silversea has to give such deep discounts to lure passengers. For those looking for a cruise in that area of South America and are willing to pay Oceania's PH rates, why not give Silversea a try instead? Thank you.

In no way does Oceania compare with SS. You must be kidding. I know, I have taken cruises on both. The last one was in March on Oceania. There are so many reasons why there is no comparison, from the cold towels and water considerately handed to weary travelers at the end of an excursion, to the anticipation of need for service - or drinks - or whatever, to the wood floored verandas, to the sheer luxury of the SS suites. The requirement to spend extra money is everywhere on Oceania - from expensive bottles of water to coffee, and all the expensive drinks in between. The ship boutiques are tacky, and the fake "Ritz Carlton" type heavy (and loud to my taste) draperies and rugs are simply over the top.

Anyone who has taken a cruise on both lines would never, ever say that Oceania can compare in anything. SS is a luxury product in every way. Oceania does not even claim to be comparable, but as far as I know positions itself as in between the luxury and mainstream lines.

Yes, you are probably right. Then there is even more reason for those looking for South American itineraries to give Silversea a try, when the price difference between the two is small!

Unlike most other cruise lines, Oceania does not have significantly different per diem prices for different geographic regions. So for the Mediterranean, where most cruise lines charge more, Oceania is competitive. However, for the Caribbean, for example, where most other cruise lines charge less, Oceania appears relatively expensive. I am just wondering (and asking for the reason) why despite the fairly close pricing between Oceania and Silversea for South America, not more passengers move towards Silversea. Does anyone know why? Thank you.

By the way, does anyone know how much it costs by taxi from the San Diego airport to the pier? Does San Diego have only one cruise ship terminal? Also, to fly out after disembarkation, what schedule should we book -- flight after what time in order for us to get to the airport in leisure, without hurry and worry? Thank you.

Archived