Just wanted to applaud Princess posters

swom

Hi all,

I've only sailed on HAL and asked a few questions there before I sailed, but mostly just read.

I just wanted to compliment you all on your wonderful and "polite" responses. I have yet to read an "ugly" or vicious post here and I did see quite a few on the HAL site.

It's really a pleasure to come here to the princess site and read the responses to the questions ask, no matter what the question might be.

Most people are very helpful and try their best to help out the person posting the question.

I just wanted you all to know that. Kudos to you all. It's a very nice change.

I am also new to this Princess board as I try and decide whether I would enjoy the line, and have found the same to be true.

However, I have been on the HAL for awhile and find the nastiness limited to those posters who want to change everything about HAL to suit their own tastes. The "regulars" on that board are generally helpful, polite and friendly, IME.

Yes, we are usually civil here, but there are a few hot topics that can bring out some nastiness. Especially hot are these two subjects:

Smokers vs. non-smokers.

Formal vs. casual dress.

This is true on the other cruise line boards as well. It seems that whenever a smoking or a formal wear question comes up, there are usually some curtious answers and then someone comes comes along and and makes some incendiary remarks and the whole thread goes down the sewer. Usually the culprit is someone not seen here before.

The vast majority of posters here seem to respect the opinions of others.

We have our moments (unfortunately) over here but it is not like the HAL board I experienced a few years ago.

I have to tell you, I cancelled a HAL cruise because the posters scared me over there. It was a few years ago and it was right after the Vista class came out and all the traditional HAL cruisers didn't like the direction HAL was going with that class and it got ugly. It was also after 9-11 and HAL was selling suites for next to nothing and some posters resented that commoners such as myself could afford HAL suites.

I backed out and cancelled my aft Zuiderdam suite. Looking back, I really wish I would have sailed it. From what I have read and from friends who have sailed HAL - I really think I would like the line. I definitely like the size of their ships. Don't be surprised if you see me over on the HAL boards soon. I will wear my tougher skin when I venture that direction :)

I backed out and cancelled my aft Zuiderdam suite. Looking back, I really wish I would have sailed it. From what I have read and from friends who have sailed HAL - I really think I would like the line. I definitely like the size of their ships. Don't be surprised if you see me over on the HAL boards soon. I will wear my tougher skin when I venture that direction :)

I had an aft suite on ZUI in March, corner cabin. It was the best cabin I have ever had and better than some larger suites as the balcony was truly amazing! We had a party out there one night for about 12 people (HAL caters it and sets up at no charge) and had many breakfasts and lunches out there.

I have the same cabin booked for next April on the Oosterdam next April.

And the service on the ship was excellent. The ship itself, however, I did not find particularly appealing.

I had an aft suite on ZUI in March, corner cabin. It was the best cabin I have ever had and better than some larger suites as the balcony was truly amazing!

Yep - that is what I had. Though, we booked it the first year it came out and there were a lot of reports of strong sewage smells and the ship was going to dry dock the following week to address a lot of issues that had come out the first year. So we decided against it (for more reasons then just the people on the HAL board). We got the corner suite (the largest one) for $1400 pp or something rediculous like that.

Yep - that is what I had. Though, we booked it the first year it came out and there were a lot of reports of strong sewage smells and the ship was going to dry dock the following week to address a lot of issues that had come out the first year. So we decided against it (for more reasons then just the people on the HAL board). We got the corner suite (the largest one) for $1400 pp or something rediculous like that.

What a price! We paid over 2500pp.

Although we enjoyed our HAL cruise and their suites are the best (Carnivals was pretty good too), I had a bad taste in my mouth before cruising HAL and was not looking forward to sailing with them because of the clientele of people on their board.

Once I returned to the HAL board to give my review, any negatives that I had about the cruise were bashed very badly.

I just sailed HAL and posted my review here and on the HAL board when I returned. It was actually a comparison between Princess and HAL and was very well received on both boards. I had only one negative comment and it came from a HAL defender, but was posted on this board. I actually think he was a troll as he had a single digit post count and has disappeared again. He could not engage anyone into an argument and we spoiled his fun, so he left.

The people on the HAL board were very helpful to me prior to our sailing the Westerdam. One person did say for a true HAL experience one needed to sail a ship other than the Vista class - I took that as advice. If it was meant to be a veiled insult, it missed its mark. All in all, the HAL board was welcoming and helpful.

The Princess board is especially outgoing and friendly and helpful and we appreciate your comments, vawoods. Personally, I would gladly sail with HAL again as well as Princess and I would love to try other lines as well.

Thank you for your comment and welcome aboard.

This is a very civil message board. Things can heat up when discussing free ice cream. It seems to be a make or break discussion about cruising on Princess vs. another cruise line.:D

Archived