Question about 18 yr. old

My question is......my daughter has a friend traveling with us...she is 18 yrs old.....do I need any special documents for her besides ID and birth certificate.....any permission forms needed from her mother?.......

Thanks

since your daughters friend is 18 I dont think she will need anything special because she is of age.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. RCI doesn't consider an 18 y/o fully adult. Eighteen y/o's can't book cruises on their own and are still required to travel with someone who is over 21 in their cabins. At a minimum, the beer and wine waiver (yes or no) might be an issue. It's probably also a good idea to get a letter authorizing emergency medical attention, just in case. At 18, she is probably still on her parents' insurance plans, so such a letter might be smart.

As far as permission to travel, I don't believe you would need that.

beachchick

I'm not sure this is necessarily true. RCI doesn't consider an 18 y/o fully adult. Eighteen y/o's can't book cruises on their own and are still required to travel with someone who is over 21 in their cabins. At a minimum, the beer and wine waiver (yes or no) might be an issue. It's probably also a good idea to get a letter authorizing emergency medical attention, just in case. At 18, she is probably still on her parents' insurance plans, so such a letter might be smart.

As far as permission to travel, I don't believe you would need that.

beachchick

At 18 she should be able to get medical attention without parental consent. When my daughter turned 18 she was still under my insurance due to being a full time student. Even though it was my insurance and I would be paying copayment, I could not get information regarding her medical needs without her consent. The privacy act kicks in.

What would be the harm in getting a letter from her parents? I usually get a medical card and a letter to allow me to seek medical treatment from parents if I am taking their child for a period of time. I do this for trips in the country and I would certainly do this when travelling out of the country. I think it's just peace of mind issue, and fortunately I've never needed to be concerned with that...but...?

With all we do to ensure a good vacation, why not get a simple paper signed?

I am asking this as a serious, not smarty-boots, question: Does the U.S. medical privacy act apply to international, non-U.S. ships? Related question: Might RCI consider a difference between privacy relating to medical issues and who's going to pay the bill? For one thing, they don't "take" insurance; if you need medical attention, it's COD (well, actually, Sea Pass OD). That might make a difference, but I honestly don't know.

beachchick

Hi, we have just gone through the same thing. We are leaving May 19th and are taking my cousins who are both 18. We needed to get a written letter giving permission to make medical decisions if needed. It also has to be notarized and sign by BOTH parents.

Be very careful as the last thing you want is to NOT be able to board the ship.

Theresa's right, RCCL requires a notarized signed letter by both parents stating that you (or some adult in the party) will supervise the person under 21. You must include the specifics of the cruise (ship, itinerary). We did it last December. There is a recent thread somewhere that talks about someone's near miss experience of not having what they needed.

And I'm with caviargirl, you should talk directly to RCCL to get the specifics.

Archived