Anyone feel the cost of a Glaceir Flight/Landing tour not worth it?

LMHCruise

Hi all:

I'm close to spending the $800 or so for a 1 hour 15 minute hellicopter tour and landing on a glacier in Juneau, but before I do so, I thought I would pose the question another way. So many have said the tour is very worth the money, but I was wondering if anyone took such a tour and felt it wasn't worth the cost. We are travelling with our two kids so the cost for a little over an hour is quite a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My definate touring preference in Alaska is flightseeing. So yep ALWAYS worth the cost to me. :) Be certain, however, everyone is on the same page for this tour. Split up if not, I suggest. Don't drag along people with only so so interest.

My husband and I did the helicopter and deog sled tour. This fly's over and then lands on a glacier where you then go on a dogsledding trek. It was one of the many highlights of this Alaskan cruise that I will never regret! Well worth the expense:o

I spent last summer as a glacier guide on the Mendenhall, which meant a flight up and back every day. Usually, we just did a direct route. Every single flight was awesome!

Granted, i didn't have to pay, but i'd still go up on my days off because it was so cool.

Out of all the people i met on the ice and at the base all last summer (and it was a rainy, miserable summer) i don't think i met more than a handfull who didn't like it. Let me be honest--those handfull of people were generally very, very unpleasant people to be near. I felt sorry for their families.

If you've never been on a glacier or never flown in Alaska, you will be amazed.

The only time i'd advise people away from the tour is if the cost really is prohibitive and would keep them from doing other things they really want to do.

Also, with almost every single landing, you ARE REQUIRED to get out on the glacier, because the helicopter has to take people back down and bring the next group up. So if you have difficulty walking around on very uneven surfaces, this may not be for you.

On the other hand, the "pilot's choice" tours are more flexible and the helicopter will stay with you.

Hi all:

I'm close to spending the $800 or so for a 1 hour 15 minute hellicopter tour and landing on a glacier in Juneau, but before I do so, I thought I would pose the question another way. So many have said the tour is very worth the money, but I was wondering if anyone took such a tour and felt it wasn't worth the cost. We are travelling with our two kids so the cost for a little over an hour is quite a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We've been to Alaska twice and neither time did we do a plane/helicopter excursion. In fact, the first time we only did one small, inexpensive excursion. But both times we had a wonderful, awesome vacation!! In fact, we didn't feel slighted in the least that we hadn't done a plane/helicopter excursion!!! There are many enjoyable things to do in the Alaska ports without spending that kind of money.

Hope my perspective helps and enjoy your cruise!

GO FOR IT!! If you can afford the $$ and doing something like this appeals to you, then to not do it is just wrong and a wasted opportunity. Do it and have fun. You will count it as one of your most cherished life experiences!

We're on the Princess Sun 7/30 sailing and we probably won't be doing one of these. We could afford to spend the money and go, but I have a hard time justifying the expense of the trip when I know that this will not be the one and only time we'll visit Alaska (I'm in my late 20s, DH is early 30s), and I know that there are other things that we will enjoy very much (we're definitely planning on one of the whale watching excursions and possibly bear viewing options).

But maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into that since I'll be about 22 weeks pregnant and don't want to chance getting sick in the helicopter. :p :rolleyes:

I think you're going to have a hard time finding anyone who's actually been on the heli/glacier landing tours and not felt it was worth the money. Only for the sole reason that those of us who don't think it's worth the money aren't going to go to start with. And those who are on the fence and end up going probably enjoyed themselves so much they didn't mind how much it cost.

Personally, when I planned the excursions for my upcoming cruise, I thought the glacier landing sounded great -- but so did 20 other excursions. Since this is my 1st Alaska cruise, it's all new to me and I know I'll enjoy all of the excursions. I'm also in my early 30s and figure I'll go back someday when I hopefully have more expendable cash. So, I decided to save glacier trekking for another time.

My 2 cents worth (or maybe I'm up to .16 or .17 by now)... go with your gut.

If you feel like you'll be missing something by not doing the heli/glacier trip then go for it.

If you think you'll enjoy other, cheaper excursions just as much (or almost as much) without sacraficing a truly enjoyable experience then save the money. ;)

As only another opinion. If it is a desire-GO, there are plenty of regrets with Alaska touring and it isn't the place to skimp, my opinion only.

I hear all the time of the excitement of tourists on these great flightseeing trips, and other's wishing they'd gone.

Just my opinion, but if I knew what it would be like, I would not have done a helicopter/glacier landing last September. It was amazing, just like everyone says. However, I personally discovered I enjoyed the wildlife aspect of Alaska over the scenery. But, I'm from Washington...so standing on ice (even though it's very special ice) in a beautiful setting is something that is quite common to me. The people we were with were from the south, and they were in awe the entire time. We're going back in just over one week, and will bypass the helicopter ride in favor of more wildlife viewing.

I do agree with those that have stated that if you *think* you want to go and can afford it...GO! You certainly don't want to have any regrets!

Archived