What is an upsell?

cssmom

I have seen a couple of post about an upsell. I am new to NCL, is this something exclusive to them? I have heard of an upgrade but never an upsell. I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks.

Karen

If I'm right, an upsell is when they call you before your cruise and offer you a better cabin for a better price that it should cost. (example: mini-suite to full suite for 300 pp instead of 600 pp). Some deals are good, if you need the extra space or if spending the additional money won't make you cut on the shore excursion budget).

My understanding of an upsell is: when the lower priced cabins (or hotel rooms) are booked, a higher category will be offered at a reduced rate. This benefits the cruise line as it opens up the lower priced cabins of which they have many and are easier booked and of course they benefit the customer. They are not offered all the time just when it benefits the cruise line. So one day/hour upsells may be "out there" and another day/hour not. How they choose to disperse these, vary. Could be to previous cruisers or if you happen to call and get the right person at the right time or thru a TA.

I don't know for sure but I would think upsells are not exclusive to NCL. I have received an upsel rate previously at a WDW hotel.

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have said recent post......

I just returned from the 4/26 cruise on the dawn...from my expierence...you do not have to wait for the ship to call you with an offer of an upgrade "upsell" on your cabin...while reading and posting pre-cruise...I also read of the infamous "upsell"...being curious...I took the liberty in calling ncl direct...previously my DH and I were booked in a BB on deck 8...upon calling ncl I learned that we could upgrade to a "mini suite" for a mere $150.00 per pax...i was informed though that this procedure needed to funnel through my TA as that is how we booked our initial reservations...i called said TA...and "WA LA"...a mini suite on deck 11 it was....I do suggest though...waiting about a month prior to your cruise to call...for your best savings...as the departure date draws nearer...prices so tend to drop...sometimes much...sometimes little...AGAIN...this is only my expierence...and also my first cruise on the dawn...OR...any ship for that matter...I did enjoy her...and will post my review on the main board under the thread already in motion..."The Dawn Leid Back Cruisers are Home"...hope it helped...have a great cruise...hope you dive in for the upsell...the "mini suite" was "MINI"...so i could not imagine being in anything smaller...

Archived