Evening attire questions

lysolqn

Have cruised 35+ times but the last time were on a Princess cruise was at least ten years ago. Will be Sapphire Princess in Alaska this summer and was wondering just how "formal" formal nights are. Also, what's the breakdown on the evening dress code for a seven-night Alaska cruise? Thanks!

I was wondering that myself since on the CB out of Ft. Lauderdale, people dressed every nite and once dressed they stayed in it for the remainder of the night. I normally see people go back to their rooms and get back into their day attire. This makes for a lot of clothes if you have day attire; formal attire; and night time attire. I had to bring 2 suitcases plus my overnighter just to fit it all with the airline weight being 50 pounds a bag now (and they are weighing).

Pretty much all the major cruise lines including Princess have lowered the requirements for formal wear to be just a sport coat and tie for the men and any nice dress for the ladies. That being said, it appears with each passing cruise more and more are opting for the less formal attire than the more formal tux/gown.

I have found on cruises over 20 days there is more formal attire on formal night and evenings are more "dressed" than during the day. On shorter cruises to places like Mexico the evening attire does not change than much from the day time and on formal night there are more suits and sport coats for men and ladies do not wear formal gowns but "dressier" outfits.

Thanks for your responses. Does Princess have formal, informal and casual nights or just formal and casual?

Dinner is either formal or "business casual," I believe they call it. Casual for daytime and the Horizon Court.

On Carnival "smart casual" means to turn your NASCAR ball cap to the front. Other days to the back. With all these various descriptions on other days like

"smart", "business", "Country Club", "Resort" it's no wonder one gets confused but to me "formal" is formal and that is pretty darn close to "black tie" which to me can only mean full tux for men and evening gown for ladies. Why the cruise lines had to bend the rules and lower it to just any old sport coat and tie is beyond me. You get a lot of "Rodney Dangerfields" on Formal night as a result. *For those that don't know how Rodney dresses that would be bright green sport coat, bright yellow tie over an orange collar shirt with mulit-colored checkered pants and golf shoes with tassles and yellow socks. And he wonders why he gets no respect on a formal night!

Archived