Disabled/wheelchair People, Be Aware On Pier!!

Rubinof

My husband and I love Celebrity, but found the pier assistance portion, of the program, sorely lacking!! We requested wheelchair assistance nine months ago, and were assured, that this would not be a problem, when we arrived, at Ft. Lauderdale. This could not have been further, from the nightmare, which ensued!!! Rather than go through the litany of negatives, pre- cruise, let me, just suggest, to you, that you snag the first wheelchair you can find, if it it does, indeed exist, and run, like the wind, that is, until you find one of their " phantom porters", or someone, to assist you, with the embarkation process.

Once on our cruise ship, we found "all things, to be wonderful"!! Actually, the best service we have ever encountered on ANY cruise ship!!! Better than any Celebrity ship, as well!!! We would, the next time, take our own wheelchair, and, probably, someone to push it. Not everyone is in a position to do that, however...........so, please be advised. Just because you check multiple times, and have written medical back-up, and go through Special Services, does not, unfortunately, guarantee ANYTHING. Please, be careful!! I spent the first week and a half, in a chair, in pain, on the ship, unable to get off and enjoy the ports.

On board Celeb is really terrific when things are firing on all cylinders... on shore, they don't really know their way around the engine...

This is REALLY noticeable to the disabled (and their caregivers).

I have taken 5 cruises with my mother who was in a wheel chair at the time. Not only did they have one waiting for us but a very happy and smiling attendant there to assist us. There were times when we had to wait a bit but we weren't the only ones there so we waited our turn.

Once onboard, it was my responsibility to push her and take care of her not the cruiselines. There were some ports she could not disembark because of the tenders, this was our decision, the porters would have carried her on to the tenders. You can usually get port information in advance and it is written which ones are docked versus tenders. It is the customers responsibility to do the research or your travel agent can assist with this.

I found the cruiseline to go above and beyond what I considered their responsibility in assisting us I am sorry you did not have the same experience. Now the airlines was a whole other issue. They never had a wheelchair and even had it in the computer that we needed one. Almost missed our flights on more than one occasion.

We were informed, by the cruiseline, that we did, indeed, fall through the cracks, with regard, to their spotty record, with wheelchair assistance. This was an effort, to give those, in need of assistance, recent, personal experience, with regard, to securing aid, at the pier. I'm glad to hear, that you and your Mother were successful, in receiving diligent care, from the cruiseline. We were treated, beautifully, once on board. In fact, it was an officer who came to our aid, when he saw my husband and I struggling with luggage and a wheelchair, on the ramp. I left out much information, which would not be, of any benefit, to those seeking help. We love Celebrity, and do not wish, to imply, anything negative. Hopefully, our incident was an isolated one. Perhaps, it is the pier, which makes the difference? I, just don't know.

You mentioned the airlines................what a nightmare!!!! All airports were a disaster!!! No trams, wheelchairs, people, etc. to assist. Oh yes, in Phila., there were trams, but they were unmanned! Go figure!! We have come to expect this ABYSMAL LACK OF SERVICE, from the airlines.

One thing to consider in the future, there are companies that rent on a weekly basis powered wheelchair for cruise passengers. It might be wise to get a cart for your mother the next time. It removes the need for someone to push her up the ramps and where ever else she may have trouble.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough go.

This last cruise was our first experience with Celebrity and we were quite impressed with the extra assistance they provided. Even when DH preferred to walk and stretch his legs the crew stood ready to help whenever we wanted.

We also were pleasantly surprised with the help we got in the airports. Our TA had made sure to advise the airlines (Air Canada and US Air) that we needed assistance and everything was ready and waiting for us throughout the trip (even in Philadelphia).

Hope your next trip goes as smoothly as ours did.

Connie

My experience was with onloading heavy specialized equipment for a family member who ALWAYS has their own wheelchair since she can not assist in transfers... With Celeb embarkation was largely a 'do-it-yourself' situation. Another line could do (and has done) better - but, once the onboard crew were drawn out of the hull and involved everything was super.

I guess my dh and I have been very lucky these past 6 years since his stroke. For the most part (99%), the airlines have been there to help us and we've never had a problem with embarkation or disembarkation. I always bring his wheelchair on cruises and also rent a scooter so I don't have to push him as I find the carpeting and connections on the ship are difficult for me to push.

Archived