Dissapointed with ncl

mkutun

I wanted to clarify what I said earlier. When I got my refund, I was within the 75 day-before cruise penalty period. The reason I paid in full when I booked is because it was too late to only send a deposit. In fact, looking back, I was wrong about the timing altogether - I booked about 60 days before the cruise, and I made the change/got the refund about 30 days before.

That said, I did book a guarantee because picking the specific room didn't matter to me. For all I know, I could be under the kitchen, etc. And if I hadn't gotten the refund, I still would have been okay - after all, I had the money to book the cruise at the time I did, so any refund is just extra (which I plan on spending on the ship - more drinks for me!) :D

And I have heard of that law about refunds, on CC boards. Trying to dig up a thread...

Now..I'm confused:confused:

I thought booking a specific cabin/suite was better than booking a GTY!

Do GTY's only go up to a certain category?

Do they include suites:o

I guess cruises are like airlines everybody pays a different price. I paid $182 for a RT ticket to LAX to get to my cruise and another person from the same place I left from paid $312 for her ticket. Sometimes you get a great deal and other times you don't. But I must admit I would be very upset to. They could have at least bumped you up to a port hole or window room.

Now..I'm confused:confused:

I thought booking a specific cabin/suite was better than booking a GTY!

Do GTY's only go up to a certain category?

Do they include suites:o

Some say one way is better that the other. To each his own.

If you really want a SPECIFIC cabin and want to know what you are getting, then book it. That is what the majority do.

If you don't mind taking a gamble, book a GTY. You often get one of the cabins that is left in that or a similar category. If they have MORE people with a GTY and not enough cabins in that category, they will bump somebody up. There are no rules, other than they will not downgrade you.

Not sure if you asked, but they even have GTY options in the suites, though the price is often the same as when you SELECT a suite.

Want to see the prices, just go to any web site with pricing or ncl.com and "price"out a cruise.

Is this also the case after final payment has been made? I've had price adjustments with them before final payment but not after. I've also noticed (at times) their ads for last minute sailing will list a cheap price and specify that the price is for new bookings only.

-Monte

Yes (and no). Yes, RCI will lower your fare after final payment right up until the week of the cruise. We once got a Senior discount reduction 5 days before our cruise. And a hefty little reduction it was too--we ended up paying less for our balcony than the cost of an inside when we booked. We had already gotten one reduction (also after final payment) and then got the second one as well.

RCI will lower your fare after final payment under these circumstances:

The price of RCI's regularly advertised fare goes down. Say, it was $799 on RCI's website and now it's listed under general bookings as $699. You'll get the $100.

They add a resident special that includes your state. You'll get that discount.

They add a Senior discount (and someone in the cabin is 55 or older). You'll get that discount.

You can check Promowaves (don't know the web address). Apparently, they list the new discounts every week.

RCI will not lower your fare under these circumstances:

The fare is listed on the Happy Hour Specials (Tuesdays). Those are always new bookings only.

The fare is specifically listed as for new bookings only. Sometimes, they put out a special deal to fill a ship and will indicate that it's new bookings only.

beachchick

The fare is specifically listed as for new bookings only. Sometimes, they put out a special deal to fill a ship and will indicate that it's new bookings only.

So if NCL said 'new bookings only' then they are the same as RCCL in this case.

Except that NCL will not lower a fare after final payment for any reason, regardless of whether it's listed as for new bookings only. RCI will lower the fare after final payment unless it's listed as for new bookings only.

Further, NCL does specials before final payment that are new bookings only, but will not allow already booked pax to cancel and re-book at the lower fare--even though it's before final payment and no penalty is supposed to apply. I consider not being allowed to cancel and re-book before final payment to be a penalty. Some have said that when you book early you get your choice of cabin, etc.; true enough, but if I cancel to re-book at a lower fare, I'm releasing that prime cabin I booked earlier and taking my chances with what's available now, just like everyone else booking at that point. So that logic makes no sense--it's not like they're going to let me cancel and keep my prime cabin selection. RCI will certainly let you cancel and rebook without penalty if it's before final payment.

BTW, does anyone know how NCL handles things like senior or resident discounts that get added after final payment? I would think that, like other lines, it would apply to all qualified bookings, even existing ones, but maybe they don't even do that.

beachchick

Further, NCL does specials before final payment that are new bookings only, but will not allow already booked pax to cancel and re-book at the lower fare--even though it's before final payment and no penalty is supposed to apply.

This claim is contrary to everyone else's experience.

NCL would have to be the most obtuse company in the world to say you can't cancel & rebook, prior to final payment.

If they did that to me, I'd cancel and NOT rebook...just to spite them.

Is this also the case after final payment has been made? I've had price adjustments with them before final payment but not after. I've also noticed (at times) their ads for last minute sailing will list a cheap price and specify that the price is for new bookings only.

-Monte

My last three cruises on RCI have had price drops after the final payment period and my TA had the difference credited back to my CC.

You aren't. You booked early and you got exactly what you wanted. You got the sailing date of your choice. You got the room of your choice. You aren't having to worry about getting a last minute cabin or finding last minute airfare. You booked early and got the benefits of booking early. If you want the benefits of booking late, you usually have to give up the early booking benefits. It doesn't go both ways.

We booked with (through our TA) NCL for next year and got the exact cabin that we wanted. If you book early you will have the best chance of getting the upgrades. Why worry about someone who books later for $100 less when you already have exactly what you want? If you book airfare early you get to choose your seat and have a better selection of flights. Now if the price goes down do you expect the airlines to refund you the difference and still expect to keep the flight you want and the seats you want?

Hey I will sit in the last row of a plane (the worst seats since they don't lean back) anytime if they were to save me 100-200 dollars or more! Luckily I fly much of the time with airmiles for free so I never complain about free! Once on a trip home from Europe, I was separated from my son and husband and was put in the back seat that of course butted up to the wall. I ended up with two seats instead of one, which is always good, and the flight attendant felt sorry for me and gave me a bottle of champagne to take home. Not all perceived bad deals are really bad. Same is true of cruising.

On most ships the only cabins I consider as any better than others are the ones with prime views (better than other cabins in same cat), or ones that are larger than others within the same category (particularly true with suites and their balconies). Otherwise, an outside cabin is still outside on most modern ships today and aside from the deck level and location, they are the same. I realize that on some ships there may be three cats of insides, for example: a "standard" of maybe about 126 sq ft, a "deluxe" meaning a bit bigger (147-170 sq. ft), and a "superior" as on the NCL Sun, (191 sq. ft) which is actually larger than all cabins except suites. On a ship, size is what matters most to me because often there are three of us. If mine is a bit further down the hall from an elevator, I know I need the extra walk anyway and am happy to get that "less prime" cabin if it saves me 300-500 or more on the cruise! To each his own!

Traveling on cruiseships is not cheap. Personally, I book well in advance so that I can have the pick of staterooms. I am willing to pay for that selection. If I don't like the price, I shop until I find a stateroom and price I like. Once I book, I'm a happy duck. My feeling is-- I got what I wanted for the price I wanted.

What I hope happens is a phone call from my TA offering a Penthouse for a few hundred more! Now THAT's a deal! :p

Being, like you all (I assume), a free-enterprise American, I bought some stocks a few months ago for their current price at that time. Now I see that they have gone way down and are cheaper! Called my broker--he laughed so I had a hissy fit and even though I sprayed tears and tore my clothes, he did nothing to lower the price that I had paid! Can you imagine that??? :eek:

Of course this is a fable but we might keep it in mind. If I have been sufficiently satisfied with anything so that I am ready to spend upwards of a thousand or so on it, I'm usually not bothered by some price fluctuations later. It was my choice.

This claim is contrary to everyone else's experience.

NCL would have to be the most obtuse company in the world to say you can't cancel & rebook, prior to final payment.

If they did that to me, I'd cancel and NOT rebook...just to spite them.

Hate to disagree, but that's exactly what's been reported recently on at least one long, detailed, and fairly "lively" thread.

In addition, this just happened to us. NCL had a Wednesday special that included our cruise, which is not until October. I wanted to do the cancel and rebook thing. Well, the "fine print" on the TA's email, as well as all the info from NCL, said quite specifically that someone who was already booked on a cruise would not be allowed to cancel and rebook with the special. They could only rebook at whatever rate they originally paid. Period. This is NCL's standard policy, at least now. This is our first (and likely last because of this policy) cruise with NCL. (We will, however, have a wonderful time this fall.)

Since then, there have been at least two more email specials with the same restrictions: If you are already booked, don't bother to cancel and try to rebook for the special because your name will come up on the screen and we'll see what you're trying to do (get the lower rate or the special); you will not be allowed to rebook at the lower rate, which is for "new bookings" and we don't consider cancelling and rebooking out of the penalty phase to be a new booking.

We even discussed the fact that NCL has no way of knowing why someone cancelled and then decided to rebook. NCL has simply decided that it doesn't matter; no cancel and rebook for lower fare, even outside of penalty, if the special is listed for new bookings only. (I'll try to find the thread because I'm not explaining it very well.)

Edited: Found it. Here's the recent thread about specials and the cancellation policy (outside of penalty phase):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=337261&page=3&highlight=beachchick

beachchick

Indulge this idea:

If I buy something at any decent department store or even Walmart for that matter, I can return it and buy it for the lower price should it go on sale so long as I have not used it or consumed it. There are some places like mom and pop shops where this is not honored, but the big dogs do it because there are long term advantages for them, such as customer loyalty and trust. It certainly keeps me coming back to those stores because their policies are generous to the consumer and their customer service does not generally antagonize its customers.

Let's extraplolate this idea to cruising: Let's say I book a cruise 9 months out. 3 months from departure, the cruise line sells my same cabin for less to others. This is a "sale" right?? The purpose of a sale is to move merchandise. As a savvy consumer, I say, "hey, I bought (reserved at this point) this for more money and haven't used it. My final payment isn't due so I want the price they are now offering it for." I do not think this is unreasonable as many types of markets routinely honor this request when the item in question has not be used or consumed.

A prior poster countered with, "you can't buy stocks at a lower price when they decline"--well of course not! They are purchased and OWNED at that moment and thus are consumed from the moment you buy them, much as a car is once driven off the lot. A cruise rez is just that--a reservation which until a final payment date, is cancellable.

NCL can set their policies as they wish--it is the free enterprise system. If making it difficult for the consumer and thus aggravating its customers is the way they want to do business, then repeat business (their bread and butter) will decline. Their dropping of rates after final booking is no secret to me though. I will (and do) wait until the last possible moment to book (with them) and take my chances. I have NEVER in 20 years been unable to find a reasonable cruise that appealed to me in the last 6-8 weeks prior to sailing--and at a substantial savings over what most other passengers paid because NCL's modus operandi is to slash prices after final payment is due knowing they will no longer honor requests for price adjustments. Basically know how the company you deal with works, and work the company to your best advantage. Oh yeah, and be happy--it's your vacation!

Hate to disagree, but that's exactly what's been reported recently on at least one long, detailed, and fairly "lively" thread.

In addition, this just happened to us. NCL had a Wednesday special that included our cruise, which is not until October. I wanted to do the cancel and rebook thing. Well, the "fine print" on the TA's email, as well as all the info from NCL, said quite specifically that someone who was already booked on a cruise would not be allowed to cancel and rebook with the special. They could only rebook at whatever rate they originally paid. Period. This is NCL's standard policy, at least now. This is our first (and likely last because of this policy) cruise with NCL. (We will, however, have a wonderful time this fall.)

Since then, there have been at least two more email specials with the same restrictions: If you are already booked, don't bother to cancel and try to rebook for the special because your name will come up on the screen and we'll see what you're trying to do (get the lower rate or the special); you will not be allowed to rebook at the lower rate, which is for "new bookings" and we don't consider cancelling and rebooking out of the penalty phase to be a new booking.

We even discussed the fact that NCL has no way of knowing why someone cancelled and then decided to rebook. NCL has simply decided that it doesn't matter; no cancel and rebook for lower fare, even outside of penalty, if the special is listed for new bookings only. (I'll try to find the thread because I'm not explaining it very well.)

Edited: Found it. Here's the recent thread about specials and the cancellation policy (outside of penalty phase):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=337261&page=3&highlight=beachchick

beachchick

Beachchick, this other thread is YOU, saying the same thing.

What I'd like to see are several other people who aren't just quoting YOU, saying that this is their experience too.

So far, I've seen one other person say the same thing, but only through their TA (the TA says NCL is a stickler for this).

We know TAs regularly say there's no such thing as an upsell, either.

If you know there's a sale every Wednesday, then cancel on Monday and rebook on Wednesday.

If you contacted NCL and a supervisor told you directly that a New Booking is considered to be "one that has never previously had a booking on this ship, this itinerary, this date", or some such thing, then this might make sense....but I'd wager that this is not their intent.

Yes, their AIM is to increase bookings, not just to re-cycle the existing bookings at a lower rate, but it is entirely counter-intuitive that if someone insisted, they wouldn't get the lower rate.

It said they cannot do anything but will give us something special in our room.I hope its a window lol

ROFLMFAO....Dyed in the wool complainers do not have a sense of humor.

Have a great cruise,

Texrails

Beachchick, this other thread is YOU, saying the same thing.

What I'd like to see are several other people who aren't just quoting YOU, saying that this is their experience too.

So far, I've seen one other person say the same thing, but only through their TA (the TA says NCL is a stickler for this).

We know TAs regularly say there's no such thing as an upsell, either.

If you know there's a sale every Wednesday, then cancel on Monday and rebook on Wednesday.

If you contacted NCL and a supervisor told you directly that a New Booking is considered to be "one that has never previously had a booking on this ship, this itinerary, this date", or some such thing, then this might make sense....but I'd wager that this is not their intent.

Yes, their AIM is to increase bookings, not just to re-cycle the existing bookings at a lower rate, but it is entirely counter-intuitive that if someone insisted, they wouldn't get the lower rate.

Actually Stephen, I said the same thing as Beachchick on that thread that if this was NCL's new policy, I wouldn't cruise on them again if I found myself in that situation. Member cruiseinthemed posted that she called NCL and was told this same information. Member lvtotrvl1 also confirms that you can't cancel and rebook. Member newmexicoNita also confirms this information. Apparently for certain sales, you can't ever have been booked on that ship for that date.

Though I am in the camp of those that says once you buy it, you own it (the price that is).

But, if outside the cancel/deposit dates and they do not want to give you the lower rate, then cancel.

Call a NEW agent and book it all over. Now, supposedly NCL has a list they cross check. Maybe, maybe not. If they did, I would escalate and tell them to book you, or you walk, since you do not have any reservation at all at that point. Are you ready to call their bluff?

Going forward, here is an idea. Could you book the cruise in one name only, with other names to follow. Then book the next one in the other name instead. I assume their system would track the "lead name" in the reservation system?

Yikes, this is lots of work. The rates better be good.

If enough people take the option of walking when NCL will not take a NEW reservation, they will have to rethink their policy.

This new every Wednesday promo is very restrictive........"New bookings only" ...it is a one day sale. Those are the rules.........period.

NCL is not the only company that does this. Other cruise lines do it as well as, land-based companies. Da rules are da rules folks;)

My suggestion.....if you are booked........don`t look:)

Actually Stephen, I said the same thing as Beachchick on that thread that if this was NCL's new policy, I wouldn't cruise on them again if I found myself in that situation. Member cruiseinthemed posted that she called NCL and was told this same information. Member lvtotrvl1 also confirms that you can't cancel and rebook. Member newmexicoNita also confirms this information. Apparently for certain sales, you can't ever have been booked on that ship for that date.

I'm dumbfounded by this. I suspect this is a policy which will change quickly, since it makes no business sense.

If I tried to take advantage of this (i.e. if I didn't care about my particular cabin), and they refused to re-book me....it would be the last time I'd ever use the cruiseline...they'd not only lose THIS cruise, but probably the 40 - 50 other cruises I would have taken (and at $15k/year, that's a lot of money they could have had, for allowing a $150 obc)

Also strange...I read that thread (quickly mind you), and don't remember seeing so many people concurring. But I trust you, and don't need further confirmation.

NCL is not the only company that does this. Other cruise lines do it as well as, land-based companies. Da rules are da rules folks;)

Right. It's a common cruise line policy and usually stated in the "special offer" emails I get from a number of internet cruise agents.

An even worse example: We booked an Overseas Adventure Travel land trip to Thailand about eight months before the departure date. Ten days before final payment was due, we were sent a statement saying there would be a $32/person surcharge for higher fuel costs. A day or two after receiving that, I got a mailing touting a $200/person reduction in the price of the trip--including the date we had booked. But it was for "new bookings only." Much as I complained, I was told "that's the policy." So, on top of not getting the lower rate, we had to pay the fuel surcharge.

The good news is: They overbooked our particular trip so we were called a month before departure and told that if we'd switch to a trip leaving three days later, we'd get a $500 discount apiece. Why did they call us first? Because I had complained about being given an increase at the same time as the price had been lowered for new bookings.

Right. It's a common cruise line policy and usually stated in the "special offer" emails I get from a number of internet cruise agents.

An even worse example: We booked an Overseas Adventure Travel land trip to Thailand about eight months before the departure date. Ten days before final payment was due, we were sent a statement saying there would be a $32/person surcharge for higher fuel costs. A day or two after receiving that, I got a mailing touting a $200/person reduction in the price of the trip--including the date we had booked. But it was for "new bookings only." Much as I complained, I was told "that's the policy." So, on top of not getting the lower rate, we had to pay the fuel surcharge.

Did the Overseas Adventure Travel land trip say you could cancel and rebook if you wanted the $200 lower price? Or did they say you would not be allowed under any circumstances to cancel and rebook to get the $200 off? That's the difference. I'm used to seeing the restriction of "new bookings only" however that usually means that if I want to be a new booking, I have to cancel and rebook. NCL says I can't do that.

But, if outside the cancel/deposit dates and they do not want to give you the lower rate, then cancel.

Call a NEW agent and book it all over. Now, supposedly NCL has a list they cross check. Maybe, maybe not. If they did, I would escalate and tell them to book you, or you walk, since you do not have any reservation at all at that point. Are you ready to call their bluff?

If enough people take the option of walking when NCL will not take a NEW reservation, they will have to rethink their policy.

I would have no problem doing this and would like to hear from someone who has. Bluffing works in poker so often because there is already money on the table to be lost.

Did the Overseas Adventure Travel land trip say you could cancel and rebook if you wanted the $200 lower price? Or did they say you would not be allowed under any circumstances to cancel and rebook to get the $200 off? That's the difference. I'm used to seeing the restriction of "new bookings only" however that usually means that if I want to be a new booking, I have to cancel and rebook. NCL says I can't do that.

No, we could not cancel and rebook. And, in any case, there would have been some money forfeited (I don't recall how much) had we canceled. And what would be the point of a printed "new bookings only" policy if the company were to allow you to cancel and then rebook?

And what would be the point of a printed "new bookings only" policy if the company were to allow you to cancel and then rebook?
The point would be that as a consumer I can decide for myself what means more; the existing booking for more money with the exact things I wanted or the new booking for less money and taking whatever things I can get. There are sacrifices with giving up an existing booking. I may lose a prime cabin that the cruise line can then resell for more money. And for the sake of argument, what if I cancel because I've broken my foot and a week later the doctor says I'll be OK to travel and I want to rebook all before final payment is even due. NCL says that if I want to rebook, I can't do it at whatever sale price they have going at the time. I'm not entitled to a sale. I'm the consumer and the point is I decide how and where I spend my money.

Archived