An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

To add to Doug's summary, here are photos of examples of each class.

Prinsendam:

holland-america-prinsendam.gif

S-Class (Statendam):

statendam170.jpg

R Class (Rotterdam):

ha_rott6.jpg

Vista Class (Zuiderdam):

Zuiderdam.jpg

Is it possible to post photos of all of the HAL ships?

Thanks!

Tom Barton:)

The Signature class are the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, no additional ships planned for HAL at this time.

Holland America has contracted with Fincantieri (builders of all of the current ships except the Prinsendam) to construct the first of its 99,000 gross ton, 2660-passenger Pinnacle-class ships, which will be a bit larger than the 87,000 gross ton, 2100-passenger Signature-class vessels, and is scheduled for delivery in Fall of 2015.

-Gord

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello All,

Having only been on Veendam and Zaandam, it still seems to me that Zaandam and Volendam, are the only 2 members of a separate class of ships. They are virtually identical twins except for decor. Plus they are also the only 2 themed "dam" ships that I am aware of: Volendam-flowers and Zaandam-music.

They remind me of the Coral Princess and Island Princess.... two identical ships with only decor differences, the only 2 ships of their type in the Princess fleet.

Rick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having only been on Veendam and Zaandam, it still seems to me that Zaandam and Volendam, are the only 2 members of a separate class of ships. They are virtually identical twins except for decor. Plus they are also the only 2 themed "dam" ships that I am aware of: Volendam-flowers and Zaandam-music.

Technically, the Volendam and the Zaandam are part of the R-class, along with the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam. Aside from the layouts of their stacks and the differing decor, the four ships are very similar.

-Gordon

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We are considering a cruise on princedam to norway/artic.

Wife suffers with sea sickness are we asking for trouble

with princedam being older than others in fleet and maybe stabalisers not up to 2014 standards.

If we decide to book which cabins best eg ) middle of main deck on volendam was excellent.

We are considering a cruise on princedam to norway/artic.

Wife suffers with sea sickness are we asking for trouble

with princedam being older than others in fleet and maybe stabalisers not up to 2014 standards.

If we decide to book which cabins best eg ) middle of main deck on volendam was excellent.

I've done a very similar cruise on the Prinsendam, we went as far north as the Polar Ice Cap. I'm also one who gets seasick very easily. Our cabin was midship, on the lowest passenger deck. I loved that location. The Prinsendam was built for worldwide cruising. I had no worries about her stabilizers. She is our favorite ship in the entire HAL fleet. Good luck and hope you have a great time.

Many thanks Mary A that's what we wanted to hear as we are probably doing same or similar cruise.

Did you enjoy your SHORT stops at Spitzbergen ?

Presume being small ship the spa facilities are limited however I understand Prinsendam has a heated pool which will be handy up north.

With 24 hour daylight an inside cabin may be the way to go or would we miss

sights from a cabin window ?

• 2 months later...

Nice information on the "class" explanations, but it's 2014 and a time for an upgrade . . . especially concerning the Signature class ships.

One poster refers to the "Nieuw Amsterdam" as no longer in service. Curiously Cruise Critic : http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=21 states that this is one of the newest ships, launched in 2010.

How can this be?

Edited by clementine01
clarification

Nice information on the "class" explanations, but it's 2014 and a time for an upgrade . . . especially concerning the Signature class ships.

One poster refers to the "Nieuw Amsterdam" as no longer in service. Curiously Cruise Critic : http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=21 states that this is one of the newest ships, launched in 2010.

How can this be?

If you had quoted the post about the Nieuw Amsterdam no longer being in service that would have helped us clarify your confusion. I can only guess that the post to which you are referring was about the previous Nieuw Amsterdam. That ship is no longer in the HAL fleet. The current one was launched in 2010 and presently is the newest ship sailing for HAL. Other than the Eurodam (IMO a stupid name) all of the ships are named after cities. There have been multiple ships by the same name over the decades (centuries?) HAL has been sailing.

• 3 months later...

I have noticed quite a few negative reviews mentioning the condition of the ship. It is going into drydock for only 2 weeks in April. How much is likely to be improved in such a short time? We are on the first cruise after so will be interesting to see perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this great information. Could someone please update it for the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam signature class ships and the new pinnacle class ship. This is great information for new cruisers and would be a magnificent update from an intelligent poster like that of this first sticky post

Or follow the suggestions to point this topic to a new address?

Thanks

Thanks for this great information. Could someone please update it for the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam signature class ships and the new pinnacle class ship. This is great information for new cruisers and would be a magnificent update from an intelligent poster like that of this first sticky post

Or follow the suggestions to point this topic to a new address?

Thanks

If you use the 'search thread' tool you'll find the info you want on the Eurodam (and sister ship, Nieuw Amsterdam). This is an example of what you'll find:

This thread, the descriptions of the various classes, began before the Eurodam.

The E-dam is a Signature class ship, and will soon be joined by a sister in that class. The Nieuw Amsterdam is expected to sail in July, 2010.

You can think of the Signature class as Vista 2.0. The deckplans are virtually identical, with the exception that there is an additional deck. There is the introduction of the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den lounge. There is also the introduction of cabanas on Lido Deck and in the Retreat area of Observation Deck. There are also spa cabins, and a few other little changes from the Vista class.

As the Koningsdam is still under construction, none of us can give first hand information about her. Your best bet is the same place we learn about her, the HAL site. Link to the Koningsdam.

• 4 weeks later...
nice information on the "class" explanations, but it's 2014 and a time for an upgrade . . . Especially concerning the signature class ships.

One poster refers to the "nieuw amsterdam" as no longer in service. Curiously cruise critic : http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?cruiselineid=21 states that this is one of the newest ships, launched in 2010.

How can this be?

2015 please some new info ..

Edited by we're sailing away....

• 4 weeks later...