Sept. 17 2006; 11 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

Figment72

We leave for WDW on Sept. 9th, for 8 wonderful days at the world. Then it's on to the 11 night cruise and afterwards we'll be doing F&W festival for 4 days (as well as comparing vacation photos with DisneyCruiseGirl). [/color]

During this time, we have 2 MNSSHP to pack for (going as pirates, so the costumes will be doing double duty on Pirates night), DIS cruise gifts to pack, masks and snorkels and enough clothes for a 3 week honeymoon trip. We're taking 1 large rolling duffle that we'll keep below 70 #. It'll cost us an extra $25, but it will be worth it to have just 1 large bag to schlep.

So, how many of us here also "talk" on the DIS?

I've posted on the 11 night thread over there a few times, but seem to be pretty much ignored. Partly my fault, since I'd already decided I didn't want to be part of all the "festivities" this time.

We would have loved to have spent some time at WDW, but we're dumping the kids on the husbands long enough as it is.

I am about ready to start packing. Florida is having no-sales tax days on clothing and school supplies so I bought a bunch of new Dockers. I am just going to put them into the suit case now.

I am about ready to start packing. Florida is having no-sales tax days on clothing and school supplies so I bought a bunch of new Dockers. I am just going to put them into the suit case now.

Wow...what a great deal!

I'm so tempted to get the suitcase out and start packing. I will have to do a "practice pack", just to be sure it all fits.

So, how many of us here also "talk" on the DIS?

I recognize at least 3 other nicks from the 11-Night thread over on the DIS boards. I use the same ID here as I do there.

MizDaisy, it's too bad you aren't interested in the festivities we have planned during the cruise. My hubby and our best friends are planning a mini MouseAdventure on the High Seas for one of the sea days, there is a Jammie Breakfast in the works, a possible Mickey Bar eating contest and loads of other fun things in the planning stages. Considering that there are ~250+ of the 1500 people on the cruise who are registered to the cruise thread, I'd say we have almost 20% of the total passengers in our 'group'. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the grass skirt fraternity for the sail-away party !!!!! :eek:

I know...I've been reading and following along.

A couple of the ladies that are traveling with me have just been through some rough times. They've had (and one still has) husbands who've been very ill....so this cruise is all about doing "nothing" for us.

When we've done the whole "DIS" thing, it seemed that we had to check our watches a lot, and keep checking the mini-navigator, just to make sure we weren't missing anything. We just didn't feel up to doing that this time.

I've cruised with a few of the DISer's before, so it will be nice to say "hi" and chat.

But....and here's something that may not sit well.....I was on the 2nd Mexican Riviera cruise to sail after the Repo cruise. At that time, the crew (including the Captain) were still talking about "that group". And not in a good way. They were all pretty disgusted with the behavior of some of the group. And even this past May, I had some CM's that I've known a long time mention it again.

I sort of decided at that time, that if I wanted to continue to sail with DCL and keep my CM friends, then I wasn't going to be part of "that group".

Hey, MizDaisy, I hope you and your friends have a fabulously "down" time and can relax to you hearts' content. It surely sounds like you all will need every minute of it! We'll be there, too, but won't participate in all of the DIS stuff. I have certainly learned a lot from them, though!! I'm not in the clique, either, but it is OK. There are eight in our group and I imagine I'll have a hard enough time keeping up with US, let alone 220+ others!:p My daughter has made contact with another little girl who is supposed to be going if she gets well enough, and she is so looking forward to that. What excursions is everyone going on? Are you doing DCL or on your own? And someone PLEASE tell me how you know what night is what? If pirate night is on St. Kitts day, we'll have to change our Palo reservations, too.

This board has taught us a TON about the different ports and available excursions; at this point, we'll only be doing St. Kitts and CC through DCL. Thanks to all who have helped inform us!:)

I know...I've been reading and following along.

But....and here's something that may not sit well.....I was on the 2nd Mexican Riviera cruise to sail after the Repo cruise. At that time, the crew (including the Captain) were still talking about "that group". And not in a good way. They were all pretty disgusted with the behavior of some of the group. And even this past May, I had some CM's that I've known a long time mention it again.

I sort of decided at that time, that if I wanted to continue to sail with DCL and keep my CM friends, then I wasn't going to be part of "that group".

What were they saying about the group?

I'm curious because I used to occasionally meet up with a bunch of Disneyland fans at Disneyland. It was fun at times but because of their familiarity with Disneyland and some cast members they developed a sense of entitlement and a feeling that they were VIPs. They became a part of the show rather than guests.

I stopped going with them when we sat through a showing of Fantasmic! (the good Disneyland one, not that cheap WDW knock-off) with a lot of the group reciting all of the dialog, some sound effects and generally being loud and obnoxious. They thought that they were funny and entertaining and said that they weren't bothering anyone but they clearly were.

I was wondering if the "superfans" were the same on the DCL.

Hey, MizDaisy, I hope you and your friends have a fabulously "down" time and can relax to you hearts' content. It surely sounds like you all will need every minute of it! We'll be there, too, but won't participate in all of the DIS stuff. I have certainly learned a lot from them, though!! I'm not in the clique, either, but it is OK. There are eight in our group and I imagine I'll have a hard enough time keeping up with US, let alone 220+ others!:p My daughter has made contact with another little girl who is supposed to be going if she gets well enough, and she is so looking forward to that. What excursions is everyone going on? Are you doing DCL or on your own? And someone PLEASE tell me how you know what night is what? If pirate night is on St. Kitts day, we'll have to change our Palo reservations, too.

This board has taught us a TON about the different ports and available excursions; at this point, we'll only be doing St. Kitts and CC through DCL. Thanks to all who have helped inform us!:)

As far as what night they are doing different themes, I thought I had it figured out according to the way they (DCL) had done the 10 Night Christmas cruise, but I was wrong....I've seen several people now say that it will be in the order Kitster posted on the previous page.

We're taking DCL's excursion to St John from St Thomas. I've snorkeled over there several times, but have never toured the island. We were going to do it on our own, but felt more comfortable booking with the ship, since there are too many variables with going to a different island.

We've booked the Catamaran Seahorse Snorkel at Castaway Cay also.

But on all the other islands, we plan on grabbing a taxi van and touring on our own and then hitting a beach. We've researched each island to find the highlights of what to see, and found a few choices for beaches at each. We'll ask our driver and other "locals" about good restaurants and beaches, too.

What were they saying about the group?

I'm curious because I used to occasionally meet up with a bunch of Disneyland fans at Disneyland. It was fun at times but because of their familiarity with Disneyland and some cast members they developed a sense of entitlement and a feeling that they were VIPs. They became a part of the show rather than guests.

I stopped going with them when we sat through a showing of Fantasmic! (the good Disneyland one, not that cheap WDW knock-off) with a lot of the group reciting all of the dialog, some sound effects and generally being loud and obnoxious. They thought that they were funny and entertaining and said that they weren't bothering anyone but they clearly were.

I was wondering if the "superfans" were the same on the DCL.

Pretty much exactly as you said. From the Captain, all the way down the line, and even from some other passengers....everyone said that this group was obnoxious, rude, demanding, pushy.....

The crew couldn't WAIT for the cruise to end, so that they could see (some of) these people get off. That's not to say that they ALL were nasty...but a fair amount of them. There were crew members who were still talking about it an entire year later. The other passengers that I talked to said that "those people" acted as if they owned the ship and had little regard for anyone who was not a part of their group.

Totally off topic! :)

I meant to say also.....even though WDW has more parks and more hotels...my heart still belongs to Disneyland. After a million trips as a kid, and because we're close enough (Arizona) to pop over when we want to, it feels like home to us. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it!

Pretty much exactly as you said. From the Captain, all the way down the line, and even from some other passengers....everyone said that this group was obnoxious, rude, demanding, pushy.....

The crew couldn't WAIT for the cruise to end, so that they could see (some of) these people get off. That's not to say that they ALL were nasty...but a fair amount of them. There were crew members who were still talking about it an entire year later. The other passengers that I talked to said that "those people" acted as if they owned the ship and had little regard for anyone who was not a part of their group.

I'm sure there are people like that everywhere, especially in a group the size of DIS. I have also found some REALLY nice people over there, though, too. :) I have definitely taken a pass on the pajama breakfast, but my mom loves to scrapbook, and I figure with the amount of time we'll be on the ship, it will be fun for her to do it.

I think part of the way they come across is because so many of them know each other from previous cruises and just don't mean to be uppity or snubbing others. I sure hope our crew enjoys the trip, too.

On our last cruise, our assistant server was hilarious and we "picked" on him a lot. He said he enjoyed it a lot, but that he didn't even talk to the people who had our table at the early seating because they hardly gave him the time of day and didn't speak to him at all. I felt so badly about that. So I'm a little cautious about the whole DIS thing as a group, although like I said, there are some REALLY nice people.

As far as what night they are doing different themes, I thought I had it figured out according to the way they (DCL) had done the 10 Night Christmas cruise, but I was wrong....I've seen several people now say that it will be in the order Kitster posted on the previous page.

Ugh, now I DO have to change our Palo dinner dates, and the system hasn't let me do the original ones very easy at all. :mad: Thanks for all of your help -- can I ask HOW y'all find out this stuff? I've got to redo our schedule now, but it is so helpful to know it now than later! You are the best!

I am now trying to figure out my entire packing logistics. We are actually driving down the day before to do some touring, haven't been to the Cape in years, etc. Then after the cruise we are heading to WDW for the Food and Wine Fest. I usually do a load or two of laundry during a cruise, but with all port schedule there doesn't seem to be a logical day to plan for this. May just splurge and send stuff out for Disney to clean.

I can't remember how much each item costs to have washed, but I know that for my family of four, when I've sent out just things like underwear and t-shirts (not the formal things) the bill has been around $80. I sent probably 5 days' worth of items.

Cindi...don't get me wrong about the DIS. I have met a lot of amazing people. In fact, all the gals who are cruising with me in September (except one) are ladies that I met through the DIS. We've taken other vacations together also. I now have friends from there that I know will be my friends forever, and I'm amazed and grateful for that.

gatour...you're right, there isn't really a "logical" day for the laundry. I don't want to spend my last day at sea in the laundry room.

Land & Sea trips are always soooo hard, simply because of all the clothes!

I'm going to search and see if I can find out if it would be cheaper to have the ship do the laundry, or the resorts. I DO know that when the ship does the laundry, then send back all the undergarments in a bag...a sack...rather rumpled and not sorted. Seems like when I sent clothes out at the Polynesian, they came back folded and in small boxes.

I DO know that when the ship does the laundry, then send back all the undergarments in a bag...a sack...rather rumpled and not sorted. Seems like when I sent clothes out at the Polynesian, they came back folded and in small boxes.
Please bear in mind that they probably have 4-5 times the space for their laundryroom at the Poly than the ship has. I know for a FACT that the wardrobe department onboard ship is the size of a broom-closet, so storage space for laundry boxes probably isn't a possibility. Folding would be nice though.

Please bear in mind that they probably have 4-5 times the space for their laundryroom at the Poly than the ship has. I know for a FACT that the wardrobe department onboard ship is the size of a broom-closet, so storage space for laundry boxes probably isn't a possibility. Folding would be nice though.

True...good point. I didn't mind it so much....I was just surprised. But I must say, it was still worth every penny to not have to do it myself!!

Been looking and still haven't found any place that states the cost.

Hey! This is so cool. This thread wasn't here when we booked this cruise a few months ago. It's our first Disney cruise, I'm so excited!!

Me and my husband (Jimbo) will be celebrating our 3 month anniversary. :D It's also our first inside cabin...not so sure how I'll like that. But it'll be worth it to sail Disney.

Hey! This is so cool. This thread wasn't here when we booked this cruise a few months ago. It's our first Disney cruise, I'm so excited!!

Me and my husband (Jimbo) will be celebrating our 3 month anniversary. :D It's also our first inside cabin...not so sure how I'll like that. But it'll be worth it to sail Disney.

Congratulations on your anniversary! We're getting an inside cabin for the first time as well -- last time all three cabins of us were upgraded at the port, thanks to the MOUSE! :D But sometimes seeing the ocean go by from where we were played games with our heads and stomachs, which is weird because when we were on an open deck, there was no problem. Go figure. But, we spend so little time there, we're just hoping for the best.

IS IT TIME YET? We just went shopping for clothes this weekend, thanks to a tax-free time here in Florida, and now I've got to haul out the suitcases. Miz Daisy, I know all about the practice packing. Heeheehee! I'll probably do it multiple times, and in the end, my husband will figure it out for me. He's awesome at packing, thanks to nine years in the Navy!:)

I'd been thinking that I would try to just bring one suitcase. Not gonna happen. Will bring two and that way, I can go shopping!!

I have a feeling there may be a lot of upgrades on this cruise. There are still an awful lot of empty rooms.

True...good point. I didn't mind it so much....I was just surprised. But I must say, it was still worth every penny to not have to do it myself!!

Been looking and still haven't found any place that states the cost.

Dry cleaning service:

Description
Price

(in U.S. Dollars)
Pants
$4.25
Jacket
$4.50
Two-piece suit
$7.00
Shirt
$3.50
Tie
$2.00
Evening dress
$8.00
Skirt
$4.50
Blouse
$4.00

There is a "pressing only" service at 50% of dry cleaning cost.

Laundry service:

Description
Price
Shirt
$3.00
Pants
$3.50
Short pants
$2.50

With "regular" service, your clothes will be returned by 5:00 p.m. the next day.

50% surcharge for same-day service.

Your clothes will be picked up before 9:00 a.m. and will be returned by 5:00 p.m.

100% surcharge for express service.

Call for pick-up. Your clothes will be returned within three hours.

Here's the link to this info.....I'm not sure how recent it is:

http://www.dcltribute.com/faq/valetservice.htm

Your 11 day sailing seems to be more popular then the 10 day sailing I am going on. I thought I would check you guys out to see what you are up to and find out any information you have. You guys seem to have a good group going.

Archived