Never flown before

bubbles1209

Ok, never been on a cruise, and never flown before. Not sure what to pack where. Ok, i get clothes in checked luggage, shoes in checked luggage, but what about the personal toiletries? You know, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, deodorant, perfume, goodys, zantac, etc. Where should I pack those? Carry on or checked? Please, anyone with personal experience help me out:confused: Thanks:)

Ok, never been on a cruise, and never flown before. Not sure what to pack where. Ok, i get clothes in checked luggage, shoes in checked luggage, but what about the personal toiletries? You know, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, deodorant, perfume, goodys, zantac, etc. Where should I pack those? Carry on or checked? Please, anyone with personal experience help me out:confused: Thanks:)

Been flying since I was two. Probably have over three million miles by now.

In your carry on luggage: Look on your airlines website for dimensions of your carry on luggage and limitations. Generally speaking it should fit under the seat in front of you. The overhead bins go like hotcakes at a starving carb addicts convention. Jewelry, medications, documents (ideally on your person), a bathing suit, a change of clothing or two, WITH underwear. I put my toiletries in my carry on luggage. I had a shampoo bottle explode and ruin some clothes coming back from Hawaii. It was a business trip so it was my business casual wardrobe.

In your checked luggage. Everything else. I pack my shoes here.

I wear slip on shoes, or even nice sandals when I fly. I used to wear closed toes shoes, in an air incident they are safer, but I'm more likely to be asked to remove my shoes than be in an incident.

Take a snack in your carry on with some bottled water. In the summer if a flight is delayed you will thank me. Take reading material. Get your ID and ticket out (Boarding Pass etc), BEFORE you go through secuity. Turn on your cell phone before security and make sure your laptop, if you carry one, has enough batteries to boot up before you get into that security line.

Relax, have fun. The noises you hear are NORMAL! There will be whirs and clicks and clunks on the flight. All those are normal. Look at the people sitting up front. They are frequent flyers, if they don't look nervous, there's nothing wrong.

Have a wonderful flight and an amazing cruise.

When you pack your shampoo or anything liquid, put them in zip bags. I put everything I can into zip bags since many are small items. Some will even pack their clothes in zip bags, but I do not. Mark your luggage somehow so you can find it easier. They all look alike. I now also take a couple extra luggage tags, because a couple times they ripped off. Put them in your carryon. Luckily, we always have 2 on each luggage so we still had one on it.

This is not a flying tip, but in case you have not read it before, bring a travel clock. There are not clocks in the cabin except on the phone.

Gail

There is some good advice here. Try to relax. Flying and cruising can make anyone nervous for a first time, but both are pretty safe. More so, than driving.

I pack in my carry ons anything I simply cannot do without just in case my checked baggage gets delayed or lost. Medicines, makeup, hair care products and blowdryer, curling iron. Also, any valuables that you don't want lost or stolen. I will be packing an extra change of clothes because I have had luggage delayed before and hadn't done this. What an inconvenience not to be able to change into cooler clothing. (Came from cold rainy weather into hot humid weather) Also, sometimes you don't get your luggage delivered to your cabin until later in the day and you may want your bathing suit with you or something else to change into when you arrive.

All other clothes and shoes will go into checked baggage. Since 9/11, I have not locked my checked bags because I don't put any valuables in them. This has been for travel within the US. However, I just ordered the new TSA locks, because I am traveling to Europe in a couple weeks. I don't feel comfortable leaving my bags unlocked for this trip. The TSA locks will allow the Security Personnel access to my bags (special key), so they don't have to cut off locks. But, it will keep others, like baggage handlers, from having access to my belongings.

One other tip......I have been packing a collapsable duffle that lies flat in my suitcase. This allows me extra space for purchases during my travels. I plan to do some serious clothes shopping while in Europe. I figure I can pack my laundry in the duffle and load up my main suitcase with my purchases.

Have a wonderful trip! You will love cruising.

Wear something comfortable, but nice, JUST IN CASE your luggage never shows up. I pack my toiletries in the checked luggage, but most airlines will give you a kit if they lose the luggage. Plastic bags over stuff individually and again in bulk for breakage. If you use a special soap, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. that you cannot do without, then pack those toiletries in the carryon. I never put camaras, computers, or valuables in checked luggage, but some of the accessories are okay there. I like to put a secondary ID into my checked luggage to prove it is my stuff in a crisis, and also in case I lost, had stolen, all ID with me. It's never happened, but could. I put a copy of front and back of all my cards from my wallet into my carryon papers (You may not remember who to call for a lost/stolen card, or even if you had the card with you.)

Special tip- baggage handlers from start to finish treat your bags roughly and they ALWAYS lay your bag down upside down, on that zippered compartment, instead of the way you would lay it down to gain access to the inside. I asked why, they said if they put it on that softer compartment, it is less likely to slip off a conveyer (onto their toes). This means that you can never pack anything hard or fragile into those side compartments. You should put towels, magazines, shower shoes, pajamas, etc. there- anything that ain't a big deal to be bumped, scuffed against. On the way back, I thin-bag some laundry and put it there- soft and already wrinkled. NEVER put toiletries there just so they are accessible, they will break them.

Sorry, after reading my post it occured to me you may not understand something I wrote. Once you have arrived at the docks to board the ship, you will be leaving your large baggage with a porter. So, keep your carry on with you, so you can have your change of clothes and toiletries handy. Once you board and get your cabin key card, you can go immediately to your cabin to freshen up or change your clothes. Sometimes, your checked bags with the cruiseline doesn't show up for several hours. It gets delivered to your cabin.

P.S. Don't forget to tip the porter a couple dollars.

I just ordered the new TSA locks, because I am traveling to Europe in a couple weeks. I don't feel comfortable leaving my bags unlocked for this trip. The TSA locks will allow the Security Personnel access to my bags (special key), so they don't have to cut off locks. But, it will keep others, like baggage handlers, from having access to my belongings.

I feel that any baggage handler who wants to steal, will target the locked cases, figuring that's where the valuables are, and he will have the key. An unlocked case looks like any other, why bother. If you want to know if he's been in your case, or slow him down so he'll just pick another, a plastic wire-tie or just tape across your zippers is good enough.

I thought of what you are telling me, but I don't think it is the handlers that have the keys. I believe it is the Transportation Security Adminstration. I don't intend to have anything valuable in my checked luggage on the trip over, but not sure about the trip back. I plan to shop.

I thought of what you are telling me, but I don't think it is the handlers that have the keys. I believe it is the Transportation Security Adminstration. I don't intend to have anything valuable in my checked luggage on the trip over, but not sure about the trip back. I plan to shop.

TSA WILL cut off the locks, even though they are supposed to have keys. I don't understand the logic, but have been told "supervisor who has key was on break" and the weirdest one "we HAD to get into that bag NOW-no time to get the key". Save your money. Go to Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart, etc. and buy some BRIGHTLY colored zip ties (electrician ties). Take extras with you in your carryon-lots of uses-eyeglass repair (the little bitty ones), holding handles on luggage, holding zippers closed when they break, string some together and tie up most anything.

If you use a weird colored one (I like florescent orange and green) and TSA needs to get into your luggage, you will know immediately. They use the same zip ties, except in TSA black. And the weird colored ones are not something most thieves would be carrying around.

The last thing I put in my suitcase is a copy of my passport. written on the sheet is the port agent's #, parents #, my cell #, hotel #, TA #s, etc.

also, a bit unrelated but I scanned my passport, CC and other id. then i email them to myself. available anywhere there's email.

check your airline's weight limit too. last tip - flying sucks these days (in coach anyway). set your mind for the worst experience possible, short of crashing. you'll think you had a great flight then.

I pack my toiletries in the checked luggage, but most airlines will give you a kit if they lose the luggage.

This is no longer true. I keep my toiletries with me in my carryon and was glad for it in March. I was flying home from San Juan via DFW. Our flight was overbooked and I took the bump. Coming into Dallas I knew that I was not going to be getting home that night and would be put up in a hotel. What I did not know is bad weather had cancelled flights that day and the day before. Hundreds of people were stranded. When I went to get my hotel voucher, the lady gave me a small toiletry kit - because I had been nice enough to give up my seat to somebody else - of course I didn't need it since I had my toiletries in my carryon plus a change of clothes and night clothes. The other people who missed their flights and had no luggage were not given toiletry kits.

If you can't keep any other toiletries with you in your carryon, at the very least keep your toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush/comb, makeup, soap, and deodorant with you. Believe me, when you've missed a flight having these can make all the difference in the world.

I never put camaras, computers, or valuables in checked luggage, but some of the accessories are okay there.

I put everyting with wires and electronics in my carry-on....one less possible reason for the TSA to open up my checked bags outside my presence.

Special tip- baggage handlers from start to finish treat your bags roughly and they ALWAYS lay your bag down upside down, on that zippered compartment, instead of the way you would lay it down to gain access to the inside. I asked why, they said if they put it on that softer compartment, it is less likely to slip off a conveyer (onto their toes).

The rationale is that the WHEELS are up, so they don't come in contact with the belt and you end up with a "rolling" situation rather than friction with the belt. It's not so much toes as the bag coming off on a turn or a downhill slope and not getting to its destination.

As for treating bags roughly, I think you may be a little harsh/cynical about the "ramp rats". They have to move a lot of bags, and do it quickly. They don't intentionally abuse luggage. Luggage is supposed to transport and protect the contents. The luggage takes the wear and tear, not the contents. If, instead, you feel that luggage is a status symbol and valued possession and needs to be pampered, you probably shouldn't fly -- or should have your private plane staff gently move your Louis Vuitton bags into the cargo hold.

The last thing I put in my suitcase is a copy of my passport.

The last thing I would want a thief to have would be a copy of my passport information. I would have a sheet with my TRAVEL contact information, cell phone/email information, my destination information, my airline and itinerary -- but would not have my home address there or home phone number (can you contemplate burglary of travellers homes), nor identification numbers/data that could be used for identity theft.

Flyer Talker - I was going to say the same about not putting your Passport information in your luggage. What is your suggestion on what information you should include on your luggage tags? We have our names, address, & sometimes phone # on ours. Wouldn't we need the information so we can be sure it's our luggage & not someone elses?

We use the zip/cable ties instead of locks. If you do use them, do not pull them all the way. Then it's too hard to cut them off. I carry extra ones in a zip bag along with small clippers. I put them in the outside zipper of our luggage.

Gail

Flyer Talker - I was going to say the same about not putting your Passport information in your luggage. What is your suggestion on what information you should include on your luggage tags? We have our names, address, & sometimes phone # on ours. Wouldn't we need the information so we can be sure it's our luggage & not someone elses?

My luggage tags have my name, cell phone and e-mail. If an airline insists on an address, I put on one of those flimsy tags they have at the checkin counter and write the name of my destination hotel.

Airlines only use your personal luggage tag info if their bar-coded, computer-printed tag is missing, and they need to figure out who the bag belongs to. It's for YOUR identification purposes first.

If you need a distinctive tag to identify your luggage, I would suggest you consider THESE TAGS. I have them with my last name embroidered and they are great for spotting your luggage, and for letting people know that it is NOT theirs. The tags are 7"x1.5", and distinctive.

You might want to read my posts (numbers 5 & 7) in THIS THREAD for other info/suggestions on lost luggage and how to reduce the likelihood of it disrupting your journey. I HIGHLY recommend the use of the itinerary sheets that I describe in post #7.

We use the zip/cable ties instead of locks. If you do use them, do not pull them all the way. Then it's too hard to cut them off. I carry extra ones in a zip bag along with small clippers. I put them in the outside zipper of our luggage.

I'm one for the TSA locks. It deters pilferage at all stages of the baggage handling process. I accept the occasional cut lock as a price I pay for the dozens of times when it isn't cut. I often use a cable-tie as well -- though all that does is let you know that someone has been in the bag. Get the TSA locks with the indicator that lets you know if someone used the master key to open the lock.

I use the TSA locks with the indicators also. I haven't had a cut lock, yet.

A thief can't do much with a copy of your passport. paasport numbers aren't linked to bank accounts, addresses, etc. They can get more info about you with your phone number (including your home address, many websites will reverse engineer it). have you ever googled your phone number?.

Depending on how much time I have in the departure city prior to boarding the cruise sometimes dictates what to carry on and what to check. The more time you have the less likely that anything is irreplaceable, so if you have overnight and there are more flights coming in from wherever you come from you can pack a bit more and carry a bit less.

Having said that NEVER pack prescription meds. OTC things are fine, you can always find a drug store to replace them before you board the ship. Toiletries can be packed, but if you are concerned that something might leak stick it in a zip lock type baggie.

Always carry cameras, laptops, cell phones and other electronics with you. Travel docs, at least boarding passes and passports go with you. It seems that while we make a big deal of getting our docs the cruise lines really don’t care if you have them or not.

Remember that there is a 50 lb limit on the weight of your checked luggage, and with a lot of shoes in a bag or with a big bag it is not hard to hit 50 lbs. Spread your stuff out, each person can check two bags, so leave some space for souvenirs.

The cruise lines suggest locking your bags. I think it is important to lock them only so that they don’t open. If a thief wants in they are going to get in. I never lock them when flying. If TSA wants in they are going to cut the locks off even if you have the TSA locks, and the thieves all have keys anyway.

Always put some idea inside your bags that includes name address and phone number. Why? If you tags are ripped off the outside and your luggage is lost the airlines will search it in an effort to find the owner (if they don’t it goes to the salvage yard in Alabama). If you don’t want to put personal information in the bags throw in some business cards. those don’t have home info and will let the airlines find you.

I use the TSA locks with the indicators also. I haven't had a cut lock, yet.

A thief can't do much with a copy of your passport. paasport numbers aren't linked to bank accounts, addresses, etc. They can get more info about you with your phone number (including your home address, many websites will reverse engineer it). have you ever googled your phone number?.

Lol, I just googled my phone number, and someone else's name came up, not mine:D Bad part is, we get calls for her all of the time, and have told I don't know how many people she no longer has that number.

They can get more info about you with your phone number (including your home address, many websites will reverse engineer it). have you ever googled your phone number?.

Which is another reason to use the cell phone number that isn't linked to your home address. Or your email.

I was not talking about official keys. The handler who steals will have his own unauthorized key.

The rationale is that the WHEELS are up, so they don't come in contact with the belt and you end up with a "rolling" situation rather than friction with the belt. It's not so much toes as the bag coming off on a turn or a downhill slope and not getting to its destination.

As for treating bags roughly, I think you may be a little harsh/cynical about the "ramp rats". They have to move a lot of bags, and do it quickly. They don't intentionally abuse luggage. Luggage is supposed to transport and protect the contents. The luggage takes the wear and tear, not the contents. If, instead, you feel that luggage is a status symbol and valued possession and needs to be pampered, you probably shouldn't fly -- or should have your private plane staff gently move your Louis Vuitton bags into the cargo hold.

Thanks for flaming me, Flyer Talker. The point was not to put important things into those outside compartments, otherwise I stand behind what I said. I was trying to be helpful as far as packing was concerned. I am not being overly critical of their treatment of luggage, watch these guys, sometime.

Archived