Serenade Alaska questions-need help with cabin

I am looking into booking an Alaskan cruise in summer of 2007. Currently I'm looking at the Serenade of the Seas, leaving from Vancouver & doing the Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway & Juneau. We've heard that it's best to cruise Alaska in a balcony cabin so you always have the opportunity to check out the scenery, even if you're back in your cabin. So I have a few questions about cabin selection & I'm hoping someone here can help me with them.

First, I'm wondering is whether it's best to be on Port or Starboard side. I don't know if all ships dock the same direction & I'm sure different ships may go through some of the areas in different directions. But is there a general consensus for which side would be better going through these Alaskan areas?

Also, I noticed that there is a "hump" cabin available, on the front of the hump. In the Caribbean, I know that these hump cabins are favored by many, for sitting out in the Caribbean sun, feeling the ocean breeze, etc. But for an Alaska cruise, is this still a good idea? I mean, if you're on the front of the hump, and cruising through the glacier area, won't it be extra cold?

Any advice from anyone who has done this cruise before or something similar is greatly appreciated!

I just booked Hump GS 1554 (which is in the same hump location you are asking about) for that same itinerary in May 07. I have heard nothing but great things about that location.

At to port and starboard, the route doesn't actually appear on the Itinerary map on RCCL's site :( but I arbitrarily decided that starboard would face inland on more of the cruise...at least it seems to for the Inside passage, so that was my deciding point. Hopefully, I'm right :D . But, it'll all be good and fabulous, I have faith.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking around at pictures on Webshots & found a picture of a "hump" cabin & balcony. http://community.webshots.com/photo/340934393/1340970178056584805uteIIl But I noticed that in this picture the balcony seems to look very small. Am I imagining it or are the balconies smaller on these hump cabins? I've only had one balcony cabin before, on Radiance and it seemed like it was bigger than this one. I noticed that on the deckplans, the cabin I was looking at looks very similar to this one in position & size of balcony. So I may look into something else. Thanks again for the replies!

We also chose a Hump Cabin for our Serenade cruise to Alaska... Deck 7 #7602

We chose the right side of the ship (starboard) because we figured we'd have a better view of the mainland while cruising north to Alaska. If we do cruise the inside passage on our return to Vancouver we'll have a view as well... If the ship cruises out in the open ocean on our return trip, well, at least we saw the scenery on our way up :D

You might also call RCCL and see if there are any aft cabins left. They sometimes don't show up on the plans if there are alot of others that are still available in that category. We are booked in 9256.... decided Alaska was THE time to go aft facing on the balcony. Panoramic views! I cannot wait!

The only thing about the Radiance class cabins (unlike the Voyager class) is that the only aft cabins are category D1 & up. There's kind of a big price difference between the D1 & E3/E2 so we were hoping to stay within the E3/E2 categories. Otherwise, I'd LOVE to try to get an aft cabin!

Understandable.... we booked the first day bookings opened because we knew the price would only go higher.... (which they have!) Otherwise we probably would have gone the same direction. Except that I told DH that I was going to make sure we experience Alaska to it's fullest on this cruise. So, that is why I got up before 5am to book that cabin. ;)

From what I have read on the Alaska boards is that you should be fine on either side of the ship for the inside passage. RCCL hasn't made in clear on the itineraries if the return trip is also thru the inside passage... we are all hoping it is, both for scenery & less rocky seas.... but it just doesn't say. It would make sense, but stranger things have happened. I was so happy that the week we picked also goes to ISP for some authentic Alaska! Yeah!

Just wanted to say I'm a little jealous of all you balcony Alaska cruisers. We are in the cheapest inside! I'm still so excited, I just can't wait! Happy cruise planning!

Ah! But I am jealous that you are going a season before we are!! We have to wait until NEXT year! ;) One of my good friends is going in June of this year and I am so green about it!

Just wanted to say I'm a little jealous of all you balcony Alaska cruisers. We are in the cheapest inside! I'm still so excited, I just can't wait! Happy cruise planning!
99% of the fun is just going! Have fun! ;)

I was so happy that the week we picked also goes to ISP for some authentic Alaska! Yeah!

Actually, after May 12, 2007, they all go to ISP. No more Sitka:( I picked my original May 26 date because of the Sitka stop but apparently their website is having issues displaying the correct dates for the two Alaska Hubbard trips. So, since it is now, apparently, the same itinerary, I switched to May 19th which is slightly more convenient datewise.

On our Serenade cruise (S Caribbean), we had an E3 cabin on Deck 7 - aft. These cabins have a balcony that is about twice the size of other cabins. This is only true of the cabins on Deck 7. Some said they didn't like the overhang for the lifeboats, but that wasn't a problem for us. I'd recommend one of those...the costs are affordable and the balcony would be great for an Alaska cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

We just booked 9078, the room just before the hump on the port side, which has an extra large balcony. July 28th 07. In other threads, I've read that this is a much desired room. Booking agent was surprised it was available.

we just sailed on the Serenade in July and had a balcony cabin on the port side. we couldn't even use the balcony for the first three days as it was cold and raining and windy. when we got to the Hubbard Glacier it turned nice and we used the balcony the rest of the time. i don't think we missed seeing anything from the port side and at times that side faced the mountains in port so we had a better view (in my opinion). when we sailed out of the ports we got to see the houses along the beach in some spots and had a great view. so i think either side of the ship is good. when we got to the glacier the captain spun the ship around and everyone got great views.

If you check out the deck plan - link below - you can see that the balcony is slightly smaller - deeper on one side and almost to a point on the other as it is on the hump right where the cabins form a straight line. From the picture there are two chairs and a small table so don't know what more you need. I think it would be fine and Starboard is what I have heard is best on a Northbound cruise. Also it is an E3 and all other balcony cabins deck 8 are E1's and E3's. You should have great views forward at a better price than your neighbors. It should be fine. We're booked on the Radiance next year to Alaska so don't know first hand. Maybe someone will respond who has actually stayed in thes cabin. You will be sure to enjoy it - we can't wait.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=08&shipCode=SR&shipProfile=1066&sailDate=1060702&hasNavigation=false

I have been posting, reading and contemplating cabins - unfortunately the aft cabins and most of the "hump" cabins are not possibilities for us because we are traveling with our two young sons, and need at least a sofabed, and preferably a pullman as well. We booked #1558, a D1 on the starboard side with a sofabed. I haven't read much about this cabin so I am hoping the balcony is large enough for the four of us, with some privacy.

It sure looks big enough - see deck plan

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=10&shipCode=SR&shipProfile=1066&sailDate=1060702&hasNavigation=false

It looks very similar to 9078 - as wide as the normal balconies but much deeper - sorry this is a small picture I found on the web. When you go to the deck plan also select deck 9 and compare 1558 to 9078.

9078balcony3.jpg

We just booked 9078, the room just before the hump on the port side, which has an extra large balcony. July 28th 07. In other threads, I've read that this is a much desired room. Booking agent was surprised it was available.

Jack,

We too have this cabin in Sept 07. Yes, we are lucky to get it! As in, can't wait!

It's so hard to find any pictures of this room. Thanks Kitty.

Anyone have any different/larger views?

I am looking into booking an Alaskan cruise in summer of 2007. Currently I'm looking at the Serenade of the Seas, leaving from Vancouver & doing the Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway & Juneau. We've heard that it's best to cruise Alaska in a balcony cabin so you always have the opportunity to check out the scenery, even if you're back in your cabin. So I have a few questions about cabin selection & I'm hoping someone here can help me with them.

First, I'm wondering is whether it's best to be on Port or Starboard side. I don't know if all ships dock the same direction & I'm sure different ships may go through some of the areas in different directions. But is there a general consensus for which side would be better going through these Alaskan areas?

Also, I noticed that there is a "hump" cabin available, on the front of the hump. In the Caribbean, I know that these hump cabins are favored by many, for sitting out in the Caribbean sun, feeling the ocean breeze, etc. But for an Alaska cruise, is this still a good idea? I mean, if you're on the front of the hump, and cruising through the glacier area, won't it be extra cold?

Any advice from anyone who has done this cruise before or something similar is greatly appreciated!

first off...is your cruise a one-way trip NORTH or a round-tripper out of Vancouver. IF it is a round tripper, it does not matter which side you are on because both sides will "eventually" see the same scenery. HOWEVER...if it is a ONE-WAY NORTH with an eventual destination of SEWARD for disembarking....then a STARBOARDSIDE cabin is better...IMO. Also..we are booked into a "hump" GS on a RADIANCE NORTHBOUND trip to Alaska.

You should also ask you question on the ALASKA FORUM. You will get tons of answers to all your questions on this site as it is strickly all about things ALASKA: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Archived