Blue Jeans -- Yes or No

Got2Cruise

For all of those who recently on a NCL cruise-- were Blue Jeans allowed in the dining rooms for dinner.? According to the website, it specifically states that blue jeans are NOT allowed, BUT, I find this kinda weird, if the cruise leaves from Texas you are allowed to wear bluejeans to dinner due to the Texas culture.

So, is this rule enforced, or not? We are sailing on the Crown to Bermuda.

On the Star in the Freestyle Daily it specifically states that jeans, shorts and tank tops are not permitted after 5:00pm in the restaurants except Market Cafe, Blue Lagoon and La Trattoria.

I don't know if the dress code is enforced. Unlike many of the fashion police that post on this board, I could care less what anyone else is wearing, so I didn't bother to check. Since the dress code was specific, I wore slacks and a shirt with buttons to all meals.

I think it's unfair to put the ship's staff in an awkward position - it's like the old cliche "between a rock and a hard place". The staff is obligated to try to follow their employer's rules, yet if they do they run the risk of incurring a paying customer's wrath. My solution? Follow the rules, which means no jeans (unless you're sailing from Texas).

I think it's unfair to put the ship's staff in an awkward position - it's like the old cliche "between a rock and a hard place". The staff is obligated to try to follow their employer's rules, yet if they do they run the risk of incurring a paying customer's wrath. My solution? Follow the rules, which means no jeans (unless you're sailing from Texas).

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. My question was. . .Was the rule enforced? Did people wear blue jeans to dinner? And, another thing. . .why is it acceptable for Texas people to wear blue jeans but not other people. What does that say about people from Texas? What if you are from Texas but are leaving from New York, can you give they ole' "But I am from Texas and come from a different culture", excuse? ;)

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. My question was. . .Was the rule enforced? Did people wear blue jeans to dinner?

Yes, I know that wasn't your question. My answer reflects my opinion that we cruisers should be more considerate - considerate of what the cruise line requests and considerate of how our actions can affect others (i.e., putting the staff in an untenable position). If you read thru the zillions of other threads concerning this issue, you will discover that NCL (and pretty much all other cruise lines) do NOT strictly enforce their dress code. So, there, you have the answer that you apparently are seeking. You can probably get away with wearing jeans. If you're willing to risk the embarassment of being asked to return to your cabin to change, go right ahead. My point is that NCL gets to make the rules since it's their ship. We should respect the rule or choose a different vacation venue.

Thanks, but that wasn't my question. My question was. . .Was the rule enforced?
You already know the answer to your question. It doesn't matter if the rule is enforced or not. You know for a fact that the NCL web site says no jeans. There is a dress code and you should follow it. If you choose to wear jeans and you're turned away, don't be surprised or act as if you didn't know. Be prepared for the rules to be enforced. Johnql was only trying to give you his opinion. If you're going to wear jeans no matter what, why ask what the rules are? Take your chances and maybe you'll get away with it.
And, another thing. . .why is it acceptable for Texas people to wear blue jeans but not other people. What does that say about people from Texas? What if you are from Texas but are leaving from New York, can you give they ole' "But I am from Texas and come from a different culture", excuse? ;)
NCL has dress guidelines that include people being allowed to wear jeans on cruises that leave from Texas. Jeans are part of their culture.

Got2Cruise, I will try and answere your question. Just off the Dawn on 5/13, saw jeans during the day but don't recall seeing them in the dining room. Not that I was looking for them. Saw a lot a real casual dress, like up-scale? jogging suits. I dressed according to the policy and felt comfortable.

My question was. . .Was the rule enforced? Did people wear blue jeans to dinner?
The "no jeans" rule was enforced on our Bermuda cruise last year. It was the first time in all our cruises we saw people denied entrance to the formal dining room.

And, another thing. . .why is it acceptable for Texas people to wear blue jeans but not other people. What does that say about people from Texas? What if you are from Texas but are leaving from New York, can you give they ole' "But I am from Texas and come from a different culture", excuse?
This is not correct. The policy applies to cruises leaving from Texas, not passengers who happen to be from Texas.

On the Dawn in April, we only saw one person wearing jeans to dinner in one of the dining rooms and he totally stood out, if you KWIM. Also, jeans are entirely too hot to wear in Bermuda in July. Buy yourself a couple pairs of slacks and some polo shirts, please.

We were on the Star in January, we saw a woman Yelling madly at the Pursers desk about not being allowed into the Dining room because she was wearing Jeans. She said I booked this Cruise because it was Freestyle, and my TA told me we can wear jeans everynight, and that is all I brought! So they had to explain to her the rules. But on many nights in the dining room after that we saw people in things that you would not wear to a formal dining room... cut off shorts, jeans etc. So some people enforce it others do not!

I agree with the op. I think if NCL allows Jeans on one cruise because it leaves from Texas then it should be that way thru ought. Just because you are leaving from a state that wears jeans all the time should not matter. People like my husband who is a construction worker who does not were anything but jeans has to go out and purchase new clothes just to go to dinner on a cruise. Why shouldn't a "cowboy/cowgirl" have to buy new stuff.. Personally I don't care what people were to dinner, I hate getting changed for dinner just so I can go and change after to be more comfy. I am on VACATION and getting dressed to eat is not something I enjoy doing believe me I would wear shorts to dinner everynight if I could but I wont because I always follow the rules even if I don't agree with them at all...

On the Dawn 4/26 cruise, I was turned down from 3 different restaurants on the same night for wearing blue jeans! The 3 nights prior to that one, no one had said anything. I guess they got word from upstairs to enforce the rule! I didn't mind, allthough I thought it was funny seing people in horrible training suits and sneakers sitting at tables where I couldn't get in with a nice suit jacket, nice shirt, nice shoes and good looking dark blue jeans. I guess the European fashion thing doesn't work on boats... :) We ate at the buffé that night, and for the rest of the cruise I wore suit pants. The staff seemed a bit embarrased turning us down, so I didn't wanna put them through that again.

My husband wore jeans to the dining room for dinner on the Spirit 4/30/06 this year and not one word was said to him. I say be comfortable some of the outfits we saw the ladies wearing were more appropriate for a club then being in a dining room. Anyhow, enjoy your cruise!!!

I didn't see anybody wearing jeans on the Sun in Feb. in the dining room or other reservation restaurants (nor did I see shorts or cut offs). Was this because NCL was enforcing the rule??? or, was it because the clients on the ship chose to respect the rule???

I appreciate not having to put on real formal wear but would hate to see the cruise lines getting to lax. Why is the term "resort casual" so confusing to some?

Jeans are jeans and it makes no difference if you are from texas or LA. On every cruise I have been on jeans were allowed the first night because people might not have had their luggage and time to unpack yet.

And it doesn't matter to me if the rules are enforced or not. The fact that it is a rule means it should be respected. And I would love to be able to wear jeans all the time! As much as I don't like dressing for dinner it does make it seem just a little bit more special.

Just got off the Dawn, Sat. 5/27/06:

Freestyle Daily, Guest Information,

Evening attire: 'No Tank tops or Shorts are permitted after 5:00 PM. Shorts are permitted in Garden Cafe.

Blue jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, bare feet, etc are not allowed in any of our restaurants for dinner. This includes all main restaurants, alternative restaurants and cover charge venues, however Blue Jeans are permissible in Garden Cafe and La Trattoria'.

On the Sun last month as you were entering the main dining rooms and the specailty pay restaurants the signs were very clear: no shorts, jeans or tank tops after 5pm. I know some of you are new to the board, but like Shoreguy this question is getting a little old. I am not about to debate whether you should or shouldn't, I am only quoting the policy and yes, it was enforced. NMNita

On the Dawn 4/26 cruise, I was turned down from 3 different restaurants on the same night for wearing blue jeans! The 3 nights prior to that one, no one had said anything. I guess they got word from upstairs to enforce the rule! I didn't mind, allthough I thought it was funny seing people in horrible training suits and sneakers sitting at tables where I couldn't get in with a nice suit jacket, nice shirt, nice shoes and good looking dark blue jeans. I guess the European fashion thing doesn't work on boats... :) We ate at the buffé that night, and for the rest of the cruise I wore suit pants. The staff seemed a bit embarrased turning us down, so I didn't wanna put them through that again.

Thank you. I thought that the reason these boards are here is to share information. For the record, it is important to know if the rule is enforced, because if you are traveling with teenagers,(and if you are the parents of teenagers you know what I mean) and they insist they don't need to pack anything but jeans, you need a back- up plan. But guaranteed, as soon as they see others wearing jeans in the dining room, they will insist on wearing jeans also. I really don't understand why people are getting so indignant, it is not like I am asking the usual "How to sneak booze on board"? that is asked several times a month. Isn't what these boards are for? Finding out information? As for the Texas remark, if you noticed there was a "wink" next to my remark, it means I was joking. But for the record, it seems discriminatory to state that cruises leaving from one part of the country has a different dress code than cruises departing from another part of the country. I never would imagine such a "rule" until I happened to read the "what you need to know" on the website. And, if I am the only one who thinks this rule is weird, well, so be it, but I am allowed to express my opinion.

I wonder when this "rule" was established? Probably after all the people from Texas showed up wearing jeans and refused to follow the guidelines.

For the record, it is important to know if the rule is enforced, because if you are traveling with teenagers,(and if you are the parents of teenagers you know what I mean) and they insist they don't need to pack anything but jeans, you need a back- up plan.

The trouble is you are asking for a definitive answer - which no one can give you. The rule appears to be "mostly" enforced but not always. If your teens don't mind the prospect of having to eat dinner at the buffet for their entire cruise (something I would not recommend) then by all means let them pack only jeans. Who knows they might encounter a lax dress code enforcer and be able to eat at least some meals in the dining room. Personally I don't care what people wear. I follow the dress code - so I can avoid placing myself and the dining room staff in an awkward position. I think it is very rude to be confrontational with the staff when they are trying to enforce the dress code.

i believe that when a cruise line posts a dress policy, it is meant as a guideline- for example, surely my $450 silk and sequined tank top would not be turned away under the "no tank tops" policy. That is because it is clearly appropriately dressy and formal. The "no tank tops" policy is clearly meant for casual, informal work out wear.

By the same token, "no jeans" should be interpreted as "no ratty informal jeans." The policy is meant to (or should be meant to) guide the appropriateness of dress. Clearly, if the dress code is such that casual tank tops or informal jeans and not suggested, then jogging suits and sneakers would be inappropriate, as well. It is not so much that there is a "rule," it is a guideline, and common sense.

On the other hand, in the best and most chic and formal clubs in NYC, (not just Texas) clean, pressed jeans with high heels and a lacy top for women, or with a formal button down shirt for men, is what is "in" right now. And is considered dressy. So it should be perfectly approriate.

And btw, since the cruise leaves from NYC, then the cruise line should respect the "local culture" as it respects Texas local culture.

;) don't worry, be happy

Archived