Post Cruise day in NYC with Kids - Tour Help please ??

When we get off the cruise, we intentionally took a late - 7 PM flight out of Newark.... We want to see as much of NYC as we can, with 4 young kids in tow.

Three Questions -

1. Can we take a tour with the kids - which is best (does the ship offer any?

2. Is there a place to leave all our bags at the pier ??

3. How long is the ride between the pier & Newark Airport ??

Best I can do is answer in reverse order

3. Newark Airport 14 miles about 30 minutes light traffic

2. No - no place at the pier to leave the bags:(

3. Wonderful things in the city for the kids - top of the Empire State, The Intrepid next to the pier. Museum of natural history

Keep in mind you won't have a lot of time. Off the ship at 11 am at the airport by 5pm gives you about 4+ hours to tour.

You can check luggage at Penn Station where you can also get a train that takes you to the EWR(yes you have to change at EWR tram station to get back). The Empire State Building is within walking distance from Penn Station. Take a cab from the Ship Terminal to Penn Station check your luggage at the AMTRAK luggage check(they charge for this). and then you can do what you do. Aim to get to the airport at least 2 hours before your plane leaves.

They have those double decker tour buses where you can get off and on all day at any stop you like. I can't remember the tour name, maybe Gray LInes (check there website). You can get 2 for 1 play tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square for a matinee (if the timing is right). Beauty and the Beast and the LIon King is great. Tarzan is a new Disney play.

Best I can do is answer in reverse order

3. Newark Airport 14 miles about 30 minutes light traffic

2. No - no place at the pier to leave the bags:(

3. Wonderful things in the city for the kids - top of the Empire State, The Intrepid next to the pier. Museum of natural history

Keep in mind you won't have a lot of time. Off the ship at 11 am at the airport by 5pm gives you about 4+ hours to tour.

I think the trip to Newark MAY be just a little longer!!! MAy only be 14 miles as the crow flies but traffic is too iffy to ever generalize as LIGHT. Count on an hour by the time you get off the ship, get a cab (?) get through the Lincoln Tunnel, into the Airport etc...

Big Apple Tour Bus-excellent tours from Times Square

Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center-rooftop)

NBC Studio/Store

Planet Hollywood for lunch

Hard Rock Cafe for lunch

Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum (Hokey, but fun)

Empire State Building has a fun "Virtual Tour Ride" of New York City.

You can check luggage at Penn Station where you can also get a train that takes you to the EWR(yes you have to change at EWR tram station to get back). The Empire State Building is within walking distance from Penn Station. Take a cab from the Ship Terminal to Penn Station check your luggage at the AMTRAK luggage check(they charge for this). and then you can do what you do. Aim to get to the airport at least 2 hours before your plane leaves.

It would be a lot easier to check luggage at a hotel (all will do this for a nominal charge) as there are no lockers at Penn Station and luggage check can be hard to find and I don't know if you can use this if you don't have a train ticket. It seems to me a couple of years ago when we tried, you had to have your train tickets.

The most fun tour is the Grayline Double Decker Tour Bus! I highly recommend and kids love this.

Archived