Rhapsody-Shorts in dining room?

THANK YOU. Someone finally speaks the truth. I have NEVER heard about anyone getting shooed away because they were wearing the "wrong clothes." It's suggested - even the RCL rep told me this on the phone.

Now, be also aware that on the first night of dining, it's come as you are, because some people may not have received their luggage by then.

Yeah, I never heard of them being shooed away for bermuda shorts either.

Thank you for posting that. While the rest of the dress is suggested RCI states, clearly on their website, that no shorts are allowed in the dining room in the evening. That is not a suggestion, imo.

From the RCI web site:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

I do not see any mention of shorts anywhere in there. That was under the frequently asked questions. I then logged into my RCI and under my cruises looked for the dress code, and I do not see any mention of a dress code there, either. Can you show me where it says no shorts? Thanks! By the way, on my last cruise, I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt to dinner on formal night. No one said a word to her. Again, I think it was probably because it was a smaller ship (Grandeur) and had a way more laid back atmosphere then the other ships do. It was mentioned at our table, but that was the extent of it. it didn't ruin anyone's meal, and no one say and gawked. By the time we had our first glass of wine, it was forgotten. :D

On the Rhapsody last November I watched a man come in 20 minutes late, wearing a tank top, baggy nylon shorts and a kerchief tied around his head. He had the table manners of a goat. And surprise surprise - he did not appear the last night so I am going to make the leap that he stiffed his waiter. His tablemates looked miserable and the two families barely interacted all week. Did it ruin their cruise or dining experience? Don't know - but I bet they didn't look forward to dinner and probably didn't know enough about cruising to have asked to change tables. Did it ruin my cruise or dining experience? No. Is it an example of what is happening to cruising in general? Yes.

The last time I tried to explain this I got called a social elitist (which in itself is really really funny). Here's the thing - RCCL is attempting to use nice language when they say the "suggested" dress code is such and such. In many social circles, this is a polite form of "required" or at the very least a strong but subtle hint of "this is what you SHOULD wear." However since it is open to interpretation and since there are people who don't want to be told what to do on "their" vacation, the debate rages on.

I don't think you're a social elitist. I went to the dining room the first night dressed in shorts as our luggage had not arrived yet, and even though there were many people in there in shorts, I felt uncomfortable .... but that is just me. I like getting dressed for dinner every night. I like wearing a gown on formal night (hardly ever see that any more) ... but I really don't care if others wear shorts. It's not going to ruin my meal ... as you said, bad table manners would ruin my meal before a "bad" outfit would!

From the RCI web site:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

I do not see any mention of shorts anywhere in there. That was under the frequently asked questions. I then logged into my RCI and under my cruises looked for the dress code, and I do not see any mention of a dress code there, either. Can you show me where it says no shorts? Thanks! By the way, on my last cruise, I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt to dinner on formal night. No one said a word to her. Again, I think it was probably because it was a smaller ship (Grandeur) and had a way more laid back atmosphere then the other ships do. It was mentioned at our table, but that was the extent of it. it didn't ruin anyone's meal, and no one say and gawked. By the time we had our first glass of wine, it was forgotten. :D

I don't know where it's mentioned on the website, but I know that on every cruise I've been on it it has been printed in the Compass that shorts and tank tops are not allowed in the dining room in the evenings.

I don't know where it's mentioned on the website, but I know that on every cruise I've been on it it has been printed in the Compass that shorts and tank tops are not allowed in the dining room in the evenings.

I am looking at my Compass from the Navigator for this past December and it states the same as you mentioned in your above statement. We can all talk about this until everyone is blue in the face and it will still come down to folks doing what they want. It doesn't ruin my dinner but it does tell you a little something about a person who would ignore the dress code.;)

Capris are fine for the ladies - except on formal nights - shorts a no-no any night. While not always turned away for shorts as I have seen them in the dining room, you do run the possibility of not being allowed in. The guidelines clearly state no shorts in the dining room. Inexpensive docker-type pants are comfortable and won't break the bank.

I completely agree. I am by no means a stickler for rules, but guys show up in pants. Take a couple pair of Khaki's and let the good times roll.. If you want to cheese on something, make it your shoes.. wear some sandles, and keep the loafers for formal nights..

I forgot and left my loafers at home on my second cruise.. so I had a choice.. sandles, or tennis shoes.. I have never packed another pair of dress shoes.. nor will I..

It is on the website, if you look at the individual ships under Main Dining Room, there is a notation about shorts not being allowed at dinner

Rhapsody of the Seas:

Dress Suggestion

During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights; all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.

kitty

To me the smart casual sounds more like my formal. Even in much of the business world, jackets/ties are out. Khakis and a collared shirt are perfectly suitable for guys imo. I've always worn capris for all but formal nights. This year gauchos would work, too. I wouldn't wear shorts but bet there are more women wearing the new longer shorts this year. They're even showing them for the office with the right shoes and top.

OK, I'm not trying to start anything here, but I've worked for the following companies in the last 10 years as a professional consultant: IBM, SBC, Pacific Gas and Electric, and Wells Fargo Bank. Most of the employees at these places dressed pretty sloppy; men and women.

We are not referring to business casual (IMO) when we say "smart casual". We are referring to dressier than that. This is a nice restaurant, not a schlep to work office.

"Business dressy" would be a better comparison: women in pantsuits, and men in shirts and ties, maybe a jacket, not a suit. Or, men in no tie and a jacket.

RCI wants people to wear appropriate clothing otherwise they wouldn't put forth the effort to make the guidelines. I am tired of people saying that RCI doesn't care because the dress code isn't mandatory.

Come on people be honest. If you don't plan on fallowing the guidelines just say so. Don't go through this whole spiel about how RCI's dress code is just a suggestion. Just be honest and say "I don't give a crud about the dress code and I'm going to wear what I want". There is no gray area here.

I really don't care what people wear but don't try and convince me that what you are doing is acceptable.

These days, they may say suggested but what they mean is "this is what is expected". It's considered polite to follow the suggested/requested/expected dress code. Of course society is dumbing down so much these days that nothing surprises me when people show up looking like they're going out to McDonald's for the night.:rolleyes:

If you really do not care what people wear, why keep posting about what people wear? and not following the suggested dress, I'm sure the cruise line cares less than you do.

If you really do not care what people wear, why keep posting about what people wear? and not following the suggested dress, I'm sure the cruise line cares less than you do.

Quite a few of us on this board don't care what people wear, but we DO have an opinion and a preference. Two separate things.

Personally, I find the "goat men" (as mentioned above) entertaining..:D

I don't know about Eric, but maybe the rest of us are trying to educate people on the difference between doing what you want and doing what is expected.

Those of us who follow the "suggestions" have been promised a certain atmosphere in the dining room. Technically, if the cruiseline allows those who are improperly dressed into the dining room, they are failing to deliver on their part of the contract. Those who fail to follow the "suggestions" or think they don't apply to them because they are on vacation are just being rude and ignorant.

I don't know about Eric, but maybe the rest of us are trying to educate people on the difference between doing what you want and doing what is expected.

Those of us who follow the "suggestions" have been promised a certain atmosphere in the dining room. Technically, if the cruiseline allows those who are improperly dressed into the dining room, they are failing to deliver on their part of the contract. Those who fail to follow the "suggestions" or think they don't apply to them because they are on vacation are just being rude and ignorant.

Are you kidding???? You've been promised a certain atmosphere, and you have a contract???

I let them know that in their tip envelope!

I certainly hope you're not going to reduce someones tip, cause they let someone in shorts in the dinning room. Is that what you meant?

I certainly hope you're not going to reduce someones tip, cause they let someone in shorts in the dinning room. Is that what you meant?

I agree! That would NOT be right to din the waiter or head waiter over someone coming into the dining room in shorts.

Also, on the first night of the cruise, the rules are that you can wear shorts to dinner. A lot of people do not have their clothes unpacked, so it IS acceptable to wear casual clothes that night, and I think it is okay the last night, too, if I remember correctly.

The way people are quoting RCI and YELLING reminds me so much of a person who doesn't post here anymore! Come on, this is NOT worth all this fussing! No one has to win this one! Everyone is entitled to their opinions on things, and we know what is expected by RCI.

Nitra and Jeannejj,

Noah10,

The dining room has a suggested form of attire that would have you dressing as suggested. When it says formal, think dressy as you would have a formal family portrait picture. Coat and tie for the hubby and semi formal for you, at least as dressy as Sunday church. For the kids I would say like you are going to a formal wedding. Kids clothes can be so expensive and they grow out of them quickly. I put my kids in a nice set of docker like pants and a white shirt and a clip on tie when we went to a formal wedding. If you used the pants that way you could use them for formal as well as casual, just like we women can take the little black dress and dress it up or dress it down.

This is interesting. I've only been on two RCL cruises, and come to think of it, the last one of over 1 1/2 years ago, so I'm by no means an expert. What I observed on formal nights went way beyond Sunday church. I saw some tuxedos (the minority), and nice suits on men, but the women were really dressed up. I'm talking floor length sequined dresses, long taffeta skirts, and sparkly tea length cocktail dresses. I think a nice dress like you'd wear to church would have stood out as being too informal.

That said, I only noticed what people wore in an admiring kind of way. I noticed that the young people (late teens, twenty-somethings) really went all out and they seemed to be having a blast. So possibly there were many people not dressed up that I just didn't notice.

I hate heels and panty hose so I wore a very dressy sequined top with formal black pants. I was comfortable and okay with it, but I sure didn't look as fabulous as many of those young ladies did.

Are you kidding???? You've been promised a certain atmosphere, and you have a contract???

A choice of words. Check your documents, the brochures and the website. They advertise a certain atmosphere in the dining room. And when you sign your name on the documents, it becomes a contract. Granted, it's more to the advantage of the cruiseline than the customer, but, oh well!

Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, besides being the first and last nights on the ship, where shorts might be acceptable. For instance, lost luggage. It's up to the Maitre D' to either enforce the dress code or not. If he doesn't, he isn't doing his job and he would be the one possibly not getting his tip.

There have been times when we didn't tip the Maitre D' when we first started cruising. However, his job entails much more than standing at the door to greet or reject the customer. If our wait team has done a good job, then it's due to his training of them.

Absolutely! The tip is replaced with a note stating why.

Absolutely! The tip is replaced with a note stating why.

Hadn't thought about it before, but if I happened to see the MD let someone in in shorts or a man-tank, I might be tempted to do the same. No man-pits at the table, please!! At least for shorts, you can't see them while eating...

Hadn't thought about it before, but if I happened to see the MD let someone in in shorts or a man-tank, I might be tempted to do the same. No man-pits at the table, please!! At least for shorts, you can't see them while eating...

There was a table of cruisers adjacent to us on our last cruise. They simply refused to dress up for any meal and were never refused entry. We saw the guys wear shorts with wife-beater tank tops, and for formal night what looked like a bowling shirt and khakis. Didn't phase them in the least. and they got no pushback from the staff.

If I want casual dining, I'll go to JR or grab something at Windjammer and wear super casual clothes. If I go to the dining room I'll take the time to dress up to standards. This is to show respect for my fellow cruisers and for the waitstaff that are trying to create a dignified environment. It would seem arrogant for me to think that I can set the standard because it is MY vacation. Never crossed my mind. When I booked my cruise I knew I had the choice of casual buffet dining in Windjammer, or more dressy full-service dining in the formal dining room. We have options, and we make tradeoffs. It seems some people like to have their proverbial cake and wear a "I'm with Stupid" tank top while they eat it too.

I guess i'm leaving the wrong impression. I totally agree that tank tops and cutoffs, and whatever are not appropriate in the dinning room for dinner. There are dress shorts, like Bermuda shorts, which I do not see as a problem, with nice causual shirts, etc.

Archived