Do I have to provide SSN?

ProfessorWB

BF is filling out the forms to get us on the boat, and one form says that new Homeland Security regulations require me to provide them with my social security number. Do I have to? I JUST got through about 2 years of identity fraud, and any steps I can take to avoid more is welcomed.

FWIW, we're cruising on Carnival's Glory in July.

Thanks in advance!
ProfessorWB

Since 911 you need to have a ss number or valid passport. The one way to avoid putting you SS number out there is to have a passport. This way the US government has all the info. Giving you SS number to the cruislines is pretty secure, but if you don't give it they can stop you from sailing.

Carnival asks for it, but you don't have to give it out. When you fill in the passenger profile, you can skip it, and when you hit the submit button, you'll see that the message shows your profile is complete. Same with entering your credit card information (you can do that when you check in for your onboard purchases), if you feel uncomfortable entering that info online Royal Caribbean's profile doesn't ask for it. I don't know about other cruise lines.

What you do have to submit is what type of documents you are using. You have a choice: either a certified birth certificate with a raised seal (obtained from a government agency such as a clerk of court or bureau of statistics) from where you were born and a government agency photo ID (such as a driver's license) OR a passport. If you are using the birth certificate and driver's license, you have to tell the cruise line where each of these was issued. If you are using a passport, you have to give the cruise line the passport number, where it was issued, issue date and expiration date.

If you are thinking about getting passports (recommended), the issue time has increased from 4 weeks to 6-8 weeks.

in the social security number field I have always used 000-00-0000 and have never been refused getting onboard. There is no reason what so ever they need that number. It is a personal number and I guard it with my life. Why do you need a social security number for a passport?

Archived