just back from 5/27 NCL Sun......

hopelea

just got back from Seattle today. We took the red eye out of seattle last night at 11:20 and arrived back home around 11:15 Sunday AM!!!

What a pretty trip. The crew was very nice. Always greated with a "Good Morning" and a smile. There were no complaints there.

Embarkment went great. Very fast and easy. Room wasn't ready when we boarded, that was a sign of things to come with our room steward. He was a really nice guy, but very slow or over worked! We would have to wait on him to get our room ready for bed so we could put our daughter to bed. It was usually around 10:15 - 10:30 before our room was ready for bed. In the mornings he wouldn't get it cleaned up until after lunch. We finally figured out how to put the couch away so we would have more walking room. No problems, we just worked around it.

One thing that I wish I would have taken is.....a power strip. There is only one outlet in the bathroom, but you can't plug anything into it, it is for shavers and doesn't have the one prong side bigger. They are both the small prong holes.

Then there is only one plug at the desk. I decided to try the hairdryer in the bathroom. It worked good enough. I didn't unpack mine, one less thing to plug in at the desk :rolleyes:

I did take advantage of their middle of the week laundry special, "all you can cram into a bag for $20". I put 16 things in that bag!!!!

The weather was great! The sea was a little rough on our last at sea day coming home in the open water. I am still feeling the motion.

We had a great time. This was our first and last with NCL. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy ourselves, but the food was not what we had hoped for. My husband was really hoping for ALASKAN king crab legs at dinner. You could get them only if you went to a speciality and paid market price for it. The kids crew area was a complete disappointment for my kids. I am glad we experienced NCL, but now want to try another line.

Any questions, I'll try to answer them!

Hi,

We will be going on the Sun on July 8th and would appreciate your comments on the following -

Excursions;

Ketchikan - 'By land/sea' or the 'Duck Boat'.

Skagway - 'Best of Skaway' or 'Ultimate Yukon/White Pass RR'.

Prince Rupert- any suggestions?

Juneau - do you remember the departure time for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier tour? The tour info said it starts at 1:00 for a 5 hour tour, but the Sun leaves at 2:00?

Have you heard of any other good excursions?

Are the outside pools heated?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

"Juneau - do you remember the departure time for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier tour? The tour info said it starts at 1:00 for a 5 hour tour, but the Sun leaves at 2:00?"

We are on the JUne 10th Sun -this was confusing to me at first. The tour leaves at 1pm and the Sun leaves at 2pm and meets up with the tour at/near the Glacier (I think around 5pm). You board the Sun directly from the tour boat.

Ketchikan, we did the lumberjack show for an hour and then just toured the town. The duck boat looked like fun!! My husband did a salmon sportfishing excursion $185 and didn't even touch a rod!! That was a waste of money!

We did the White Pass Rail & Gold Camp. Do the rail, but not the gold camp. The rail was wonderful. If you do the rail, make sure you sit on the left side of the train. The view are amazing. You are also able to to outside while the train is traveling for great pictures.

Juneau, I would definately do the Tracy Arms. It left around 1:30 and did meet up with the ship about 5. We were not able to make it to the glacier because of all the ice, but it was still an amazing trip to see the icebergs floating around.

Prince Rupert, we did the Butze Rainforest walk. It was interesting. There are 600 - 800 year old trees in there. The town is so small, there is only a small amount of shops near the dock. The town just started being a cruise ship port three years ago. The people are very friendly.

Yes, the pools are heated. The hot tubs were usually around 100.7 and the pools were about 80 - 82, my husband said they were perfect. I only got into the hot tubs!

Hope that helps!!

Just a word of caution..........please be careful around the stateroom doors. My 10 year old daughter was heading out our door to catch her daddy, the door shut very quickly and her right thumb was stuck in the hinge side of the door. It smashed it. We went to the medical center. The doctor was wonderful. Took an x-ray and nothing was broken luckily, but it was twice it's normal size and black & red. He put a split on it and was so nice.

So, please be careful~!

We were on the Star the same time you were on the Sun and took several pictures of the Sun when we met up in Juneau and also Skagway. Just post your email address and I'd be glad to email them to you.

"Juneau - do you remember the departure time for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier tour? The tour info said it starts at 1:00 for a 5 hour tour, but the Sun leaves at 2:00?"

We are on the JUne 10th Sun -this was confusing to me at first. The tour leaves at 1pm and the Sun leaves at 2pm and meets up with the tour at/near the Glacier (I think around 5pm). You board the Sun directly from the tour boat.

Debbie - there are several others of us from the boards on this sailing. Come on over to the Roll Call and say hi!

Archived