Oahu -a few restaurant questions

lomillerin

We will be here for 4 full days after our cruise.

What recommendation for restaurants do you have?

We would like a great atmosphere, we will be taking our kids, age 14 and 7 (well-behaved).

We would like to be able to wear nice shorts, polo shirts for the boys.. Not too fancy, but money is not a big concern. We are staying at the HHV, but will have a car. Would like to stay near Waikiki.

Any must eats? Classic Hawaiian? Every tourist must eat at?

We love Italian, steak, tapas, appetizers, pub food...

I hate to say this, but I am not a seafood eater, I usually find chicken or steak or a veggie meal if we eat at a seafood place.

Also, we want to go the North Shore one day- How long is the drive, what is there to do, and what would be a good place to grab lunch or early dinner?

Thanks.

Maple Garden (909 Isenberg St phone #808.941.6641) It has really good Chinese food and the atmosphere is relaxed. Locals really like it and we've had some pretty good times there. The other place that is a must do for us is Kincaid's Fish, Chop and STeak House (Ward Warehouse 1050 Ala Moana #808.591.2005) You do need to call them for reservations, but the food is incredible (and I ain't talkin' seafood). It has some of the best lamb on the island IMO. There is also a beatiful Hawaiian craft shop downstairs and we love to go to. Both palces are kid friendly. For breakfast, check out Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab (580 N. Nimitz Hwy # 808.545.7979). If memory serves me right, it's just around the corner from Hilo Hattie's - another must hit in Honolulu.

All three places are casual and relaxed - the kids will find lots to eat and do.

Sorry I can't help with North Shore. We've never spent much time there. You might want to log onto the Zagat's web site and check out the restaurants it lists. It will tell you everything that you would want to know.

Hope this helps a little.

Charlie

If you are in Honolulu on a Sunday and looking for a really good brunch, then the Royal Hawaiian can't be beat. They have a very good variety in a nice atmosphere, not too fancy & not too casual. They do have a lot of seafood, but also carved beef, chicken dishes, and a wonderful variety of salads, breakfast choices and great desserts.

Hi-just came from the North Shore a few hours ago (swam with sea turtles, snorkeled at Shark Cove, and then swam at Wiamea Bay-fun, fun) We grabbed some sandwiches at Foodland and had a picnic at Waimea Bay under the palm trees and then for supper we Mexican at Cholos in Hale'iwa (a great surfing village). We tried a Hawaiian Ice at the general store there-amazing. Make sure you go all out and get the ice cream on the bottom. Yum!

Dukes at Waikiki was good for dinner.

We really want delicious Italian one night, like pastas... Not so much on fancy veal, steak italian dishes, but pastas, Lasagnas, gourmet pizzas etc...

We eat at Buca's alot at home, so really want something that is maybe not a chain or one we don't have here in Indy.

http://www.cafesistina.com/

There was a slt better choice but alas, they have closed and will not be reopening any time soon - so this is about as good as it gets for Italian in Hawaii. The vongole here is very good - I recommend the pink sauce.

Or you could try Vino as well. Italian style tapas - noteworthy here is the assortment of wines by the glass by one of Hawaii's top sommeliers. Very close (walking distance) to Aloha Tower.

http://www.vinohi.com/

Spleen

Maybe about 15 minutes or so by taxi? Slightly more if you're driving yourself and allowing time to get slightly lost. It's located on the ground floor of a bank building so kind of a no-view situation but the restaurant interior is filled with murals of Italian scenery (painted by the chef) so it should make up for it. :) You might want to call a few days in advance to reserve just to make sure you get your desired dining time - certainly not a place where you need to book months in advance.

Spleen

For the best pasta in HI go to Longhi's at Ala Moana Center. It's right above Morton's Steak House. The server will quote you the pasta selections of the day. The Lobster Caneloni (sp) is the best but if you don't like seafood, try the bolognese. Wonderful steak too. A nice place but shorts at dinner is perfectly fine with them. Reservations are a must on the weekends.

Sam Choy's is also wonderful. More casual than Longhi's. Sam Choy also has an asian/hawaiian place by diamond head. It's fancier than the rest and probably would prefer dockers. Call ahead for questions and reservations their.

Also the Shorebird at the Outrigger is a great place. Right on the beach and you cook your own steak on a huge grill. Reservations are a must there.

For a great day and evening luau, go to Laie to the PCC and have the Prime rib buffet. The best! No alcohol though.

Cafe Sistena was also a great recommendation. Have a ton of fun!

You know, lots of people like Longhi's - we've eaten at the one in Wailea, Maui and were underwhelmed. Thinking that it might be an off night, we tried eating at the Ala Moana location a couple of weeks ago for a belated birthday dinner for me - once again, underwhelmed. Service felt a little inattentive and while prepared adequately, the dishes didn't showcase any pizazz or flair to their flavors despite the high cost. I don't know ... I guess it's just not for us. The restaurant was pretty deserted for a Saturday night too - only about 3-4 tables in use.

Spleen

The restaurant was pretty deserted for a Saturday night too - only about 3-4 tables in use.

That's the biggest red flag of them all. Unless we're the first ones in the door when it opens, I dont like to see an empty restaurant. :(

Archived