just got home...how do you stop the rocking?

kenziebaby

Hi...

we just got home (last night) from a week on the Elation...and it was very nice. We had no problem with sea sickness, but both DH and I are having a hard time dealing with the rocking on land. It is just as bad today as it was yesterday, when we got off the ship.

Any suggestions? Will dramamine help?

Thanks...anxiously awaiting your reply...

Karen

It'll pass - I got it in Ft. Lauderdale airport once, but only for about an hour. Seasickness medication may help, but I'd just do what I do on ship - find a good spot with a view of the Horizon, if you can, it'll reduce the sensation. Otherwise, just get back on a cruise again ;)

Interesting MaryP! But I don't think any of us are about to practice "avoidance"!!

I've only been on 2 cruises, 1 of which I suffered seasickness. Both times I was rocking and rolling for almost a week after getting home.

As weird as it was, I didn't find it too bothersome, just reminded me I was just off the ship.

My husband thought I was a spaz. Thank you for letting me know I wasn't alone.

Romy

I get it to and surprisingly it's worse after a short cruise than a long one. Someone suggested over-the counter sinus medicine, as it seems to have something to do with the inner ear. I've tried it and it seems to work, I only stagger for a couple days now instead of weeks.:rolleyes:

Doesn't seem to matter if the seas are rough or calm as the last several cruises have been very smooth & I still have the same problem.

Personally, I think we should just stay on the ship & keep cruising!:D

It *will* get better over time, but taking sinus medication will likely help. It is caused by the inbalance of fluid in the inner ear, so if you take sinus medication, it should help. If you don't have anything like that, taking Bonine or something similar will probably help too because those medications also help with the inner ear issues.

I get it to and surprisingly it's worse after a short cruise than a long one. Someone suggested over-the counter sinus medicine, as it seems to have something to do with the inner ear. I've tried it and it seems to work, I only stagger for a couple days now instead of weeks.:rolleyes:

Doesn't seem to matter if the seas are rough or calm as the last several cruises have been very smooth & I still have the same problem.

Personally, I think we should just stay on the ship & keep cruising!:D

I've had the same experience. Rough cruise/smooth sailing - doesn't matter a bit. But, the longer the cruise, the shorter the symptoms last.

I can't say there is *anything* enjoyable about it. It's much too intense and lasts weeks after a short cruise.

But, no, I'm not really prepared to practice avoidance....

I know mine used to last 2-3 weeks until I started taking the sinus medicine, now it's only a couple days. Wonder if I took the medicine while I was on the ship if I could avoid the problem altogether. Quick I need to book a short cruise for "Research" :D

karen

I find it to be kind of a nice souvenir that helps ease me back into reality. I like the short-lived reminder of a fabulous vacation.

This is gonna sound crazy, but ...

I have NEVER slept better than I do on a cruise ... especially one with rough seas. The gentle rocking motion ... or not so gentle rocking motion ... reminds me of a baby being rocked in a cradle. I sleep like a log.

After I got home ... for about two weeks afterward ... while I cannot recall feeling any "rocking" type sensation, I did keep waking up thinking I was still on the boat and wondering why I didn't have that super "rejuvinated" feeling that I had enjoyed when waking on the ship.

Of course, I'm very, very fortunate in that I am not susceptible to motion sickness of any kind ... and believe me, I've done some crazy stuff ... like aerobatic airplane flights, high-speed canopy spinning during skydiving landings ... so I would imagine not everyone would experience this "comfort" feeling that I do during rough seas.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is gonna sound crazy, but ...

I have NEVER slept better than I do on a cruise ... especially one with rough seas. The gentle rocking motion ... or not so gentle rocking motion ... reminds me of a baby being rocked in a cradle. I sleep like a log.

After I got home ... for about two weeks afterward ... while I cannot recall feeling any "rocking" type sensation, I did keep waking up thinking I was still on the boat and wondering why I didn't have that super "rejuvinated" feeling that I had enjoyed when waking on the ship.

Of course, I'm very, very fortunate in that I am not susceptible to motion sickness of any kind ... and believe me, I've done some crazy stuff ... like aerobatic airplane flights, high-speed canopy spinning during skydiving landings ... so I would imagine not everyone would experience this "comfort" feeling that I do during rough seas.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's much the same for my wife & I - we sleep very well onboard, too. When we were on a Caribbean cruise during Hurricane Mitch, it just made us into big sleepy heads ;)

Hi All,

For me, the rocking has not stopped in over 1 year and a half. It has been truly life altering. If it doesn't go away after a month, check out:

http://www.nhffoundations.net/mdds

BTW, I did not get seasick and I slept like a baby on the ship...but I just wish this rocking would go away...sinus meds have not helped me.

Susan

colette5479, I usually just use a generic brand of sinus medicine. I have used the kind for sinus headaches or the cold medicine. I usually take 1 every 4 hours and it clears up within a couple days. I am pretty susceptible to medicine, if the dosage calls for 2, half that is all my system can handle.

Karen

totaly unreleated to cruising but, i have the same problem.

spent a fortune on a new boat, wen't out for a quick two hour fish in totally flat waters here in Sydney, AUS. low and behold, i got see sick. i have been swaying for a week, it's driving me up the wall !!

to put this in perspective for you, i have been out on the continental shelf for 10 days in 5 meter seas fishing for tuna and not a hint of seasickness in sight, within a day of being back on land, no swaying.

....two hour boat ride in flat seas, seasick and swaying for a week.....?? work it out.the body is a strange and wonderful thing.

my doctor has sent me to a neurologist. go figure.

has anyone else had it last for more than a week ? please help as i need some reassurance that this is not permanent.

thanks

Archived