Travel Insurance - Hurricane Season

Hi -

Has anyone purchased travel insurance that will specifically cover hurricane-related issues? For example, if the ship cannot return on the designated day? Any information would be helpful -

You need to read each potential policy before you purchase it. Some specifically exclude hurricanes. Mine will cover me for any type of travel delay - I had to read several before I found the one I wanted. Read the policies before purchasing. Best advice you can get.

There is no insurance specific to hurricanes that I know of. Insurance can have a trip delay component, but I'm not sure how it would apply to a cruise getting extra days at sea! Various components of the insurance should cover flight and hotel issues. We were delayed in Tokyo years ago due to a volcano eruption and our hotel and food were covered up to the limits of the policy. In 2004 we were on a Mississippi cruise and couldn't get back to Miami because its airport was closed for a hurricane; in that case the airline had to change our flight and there were no extra charges. I am retired and keep hoping for a delay in returning to port!

Hi -

Has anyone purchased travel insurance that will specifically cover hurricane-related issues? For example, if the ship cannot return on the designated day? Any information would be helpful -

So you will have to stay on the ship longer...what's the problem? Just curious, if the ship can't return to the originating port due to hurricane issues, the airports would probably be closed anyway. I don't see how travel insurance would help in this situation once you are on board. We have missed ports due to hurricanes but the Captain usually avoids any bad weather and we still have a good cruise.

Your concern is usually why people try to avoid cruising during hurricane season, unless they want to get a lower price.

Maybe someone else has been in this situation and has first hand experience with travel insurance covering a delayed return. I know that I have been offered refunds before boarding ships when hurricanes are in areas of our destinations, but we go anyway.

Good Luck

SissasMomE--I have never seen an exclusion for hurricanes when buying insurance. Can you tell me the company that excludes coverage for hurricanes so I make sure I don't choose it and overlook the exclusion--we always shop for the best insurance for each trip since prices have gone up since one of us :) has reached a certain age plateau!

Slk230red -

I wouldn't mind staying longer on a cruise however we could incur siginificant costs - changing airline tickets, nights in hotels, extra cruise charges, etc....when you are paying for 4, it can add up. So, I am trying to figure out if travel insurance would cover at least some of these costs. After last year's season, you just never know....

One thing everyone needs to know, once a hurricane is named, regardless of where it may hit, you cannot purchase the insurance and have it cover hurricanes. That's one mistake people make. They don't buy insurance, but once they see a hurricane is coming in the area where they will be cruising, they try and buy the insurance then. Too late, you won't be covered. It's the same for snowstorms. If a storm is predicted, you cannot call the insurance company and cover for delay caused by the storm. Once they know about the storm, you cannot purchase insurance and have that incident covered.

SissasMomE--I have never seen an exclusion for hurricanes when buying insurance. Can you tell me the company that excludes coverage for hurricanes so I make sure I don't choose it and overlook the exclusion--we always shop for the best insurance for each trip since prices have gone up since one of us :) has reached a certain age plateau!

Twaincruisers, as I stated to the OP, you have to read the policy prior to purchase. I don't keep a list ;)

Archived