Ship's clinic meds?

JeanneII

This really stinks. We leave on the Empress on Saturday. I'm feeling a head cold coming on. I've got faith in my Airborne which has worked for me in the past to knock it out before it gets too far, but I'm just wondering about what kind of medications the ship's clinic would actually have.

Specifically, a cold can become a sinus infection for me in about 5 days, to the point that my whole face feels like it is going to explode. I don't want to be a worry wart, but does the clinic carry basic antibiotics for such a thing if necessary?

They will have a supply of any meds you would need for a typical condition, like a sinus infection. You will have to pay for a medical evaluation from the onboard doctor and also pay for the meds. I can get expensive, you will have to pay the bill and hope your own medical insurance (or trip insurance) will reimburse you.

I sat down and tried to remember every OTC we'd used over the last year. Then I went over to our local drug store and purchased a container of each. Then I put everything together in a little watertight pouch, along with band aids, an elastic bandage, peroxide, ointment, anything that we might have any use for. It was a little pricey, but we've got just about everything covered, the meds keep well and I have the peace of mind knowing that we're covered. You might not want to get that carried away at this date, but I would definitely take whatever meds you would normally use for a sinus infection with you. Better safe than sorry.

Charlie

It is very expensive to be medically treated aboard ship. Your best bet would be to contact your personal physician and let him set you up with some meds "just in case". You will pay through the nose on the ship for any medications. (No pun intended)!

I have every possible over-the-counter medication that I will possibly need already packed. My main worry was an an antibiotic. My doctors will not give me a prescription for one unless I'm at the point where I need it.:mad:

I've been taking my Airborne almost around the clock for a day and a half, so if that truly lessens the severity of a cold, I hope I'll be over this is a couple of days.

If you can, try to get your Dr to give you a prescription before you leave. sometimes if you tell them you are going on a cruise they will do that for you. My DH and I both had to see the ships Dr for a sinus infection onboard the Mariner two weeks ago. It cost us over $400.00 and all we got was an antibiotic and some over the counter cold medicine.

If you have trip insurancve, the medical portion pays 100% of the ships charges so don't worry about the cost. It is actually a cheaper way to go to the doctor than being treated at home.:confused: Remember this is a hospital for about 3000 people without ready acces to other facilities so they are very well equipped and stocked with meds.

We do have travel insurance. Thanks for reminding me of that, Bill.

I'm feeling much better today. I really believe that Airborne works!! Of course, my husband thinks it's all in my head, but regardless, my cold is subsiding. If my brain thinks it works, it works!!!! No sinus infection brewing for sure. Now I need to pack!! Tomorrow's the big day!!!!!!!

Even though we always buy trip insursance, we still take along medications for colds, etc. Not all trip insurance will pay you back for over the counter medications that a ship will charge you double for.

Also, if you know what specially works for you, there is not guarantee that the ship will carry your specific medication.

Play it safe and take your own meds.

Archived