Black Watch Med 31 July

flea b

Thanks Normandie-BCN for the info about the Magic Fountains. I have seen a dvd of the display & they are spectacular, but we are in Barcelona on a Monday!!!

Welshy - just realised this myself too - never mind theres always next year I suppose. We`ll be heading for Nou Camp with 2 footy mad sons

Welshy - just realised this myself too - never mind theres always next year I suppose. We`ll be heading for Nou Camp with 2 footy mad sons

Yes I am trying to pursuade my wife that it is a wonderful stadium & that she would enjoy the experience!!! Do you think using the 'hop on hop off' bus is the best way to explore barcelona in a day?

Could be a bit of a rush getting back to the ship for 11pm if the first show is 21.30. How far away is it from the ship ?

If the ship is leaving at 11pm, the ganway will be closed, I supose, around 10:30. From the fountain to the ship in taxi you have a 15 minutes ride. The problem is to find a taxi there.

So, in case you get a taxi that could wait for you while the fountain show, which will usually do but you must ask before (at that hour a lot of taxis gave up and go home), you will not have any problem to leave the fountain at 10:00 and be at the gangway of the ship before closing (10-15 minutes ride + 5 minutes to get the gangway from the terminal.

Yes I am trying to pursuade my wife that it is a wonderful stadium & that she would enjoy the experience!!! Do you think using the 'hop on hop off' bus is the best way to explore barcelona in a day?

Tell your wife when you live in a household with 3 football mad men you either beat them or join them. On this occasion I am joining them ! I am not a football fan but I like to keep the men happy. We visited Barcelona last year for the first time and used the hop on hop off bus. We found it a good option but ran out of time to see everything we wanted to.I would recommend it for a first visit. We visited Sagrada Familia last time and spent quite a long time there.

Excue me for butting in... I'm not on your cruise - never been on Fred. Olsen, not because we don't want to but it simply hasn't happened (yet). However, I did note that someone up near the top of the thread said that there hadn't found many reviews of Black watch. You might want to check this page for a good review:

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/ships/fo_watch.asp

Also on the cruiseserver site are loads of pictures of Black Watch. You should especially look for the one posted by PamM - I think she's been on it a number of times and it's one of her favourite ships.

(Apologies for the interruption if you're already familiar with that site....)

Yes thanks Tom useful site. Had fun trying to spot my balcony cabin, very handy for the lifeboats!!!

P1TKL - I want to see if the Barca Stadium is any better than our Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, although I think its bigger. Is the Sagrada Familia the unfinished Church?

Hi Welshy - WOW... Balcony cabin!!! I'm dead jealous!!! Oh hum, we will be OK with our port hole. Unless upgrade fairy is coming??? Doubt that! Anyway, still very very excited, keep tripping over new cases in hallway, no point putting away as going SOON!!! (but it is quite funny hearing everyone cursing when bumping into them). Bye for now, Flea B ;)

Yes thanks Tom useful site. Had fun trying to spot my balcony cabin, very handy for the lifeboats!!!

P1TKL - I want to see if the Barca Stadium is any better than our Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, although I think its bigger. Is the Sagrada Familia the unfinished Church?

Welshy Yes Sagrada Famailia is the unfinished church - its really strange when you see lots of building work going on when you are walking around - apparently this has been going on for 100 years ! My 2 sons really couldn`t believe this fact !

The Sagrada Familia is unfinished and will be unfinishe for many years. The insterior will be closed in a few years but the biggest towers (Jesus, S. Mary and S.Joseph) will need 20 years more.

They are working the the Glory's façade but the steps over Mallorca street are left for the coming generation.

Once closed the interior it will be necessary to finish it. The consecration of the church it is expected in a few years.

The church work is payed only by visitors and private donors. It is an expiatory temple and main income for years has been donations for sins' forgiveness.

It is a private church belonging to a private fundation. For many years the construction has been very slow due to lack of ressources and the technical difficulties. You may know tha "any" stone of the church is different from others and has to be specifically designed. At present, computers make this design more esay may you make to know tha two big computers work some days in parallel to design the pieces: those from Barcelona and Harvard Architecture Schools.

Gaudi had no technologican means to finish his work so he was not in a hurry so it expected that technological problems will be solved in the future... in the time of very powerful computers.

The Sagrada Familia is unfinished and will be unfinishe for many years. The insterior will be closed in a few years but the biggest towers (Jesus, S. Mary and S.Joseph) will need 20 years more.

They are working the the Glory's façade but the steps over Mallorca street are left for the coming generation.

Once closed the interior it will be necessary to finish it. The consecration of the church it is expected in a few years.

The church work is payed only by visitors and private donors. It is an expiatory temple and main income for years has been donations for sins' forgiveness.

It is a private church belonging to a private fundation. For many years the construction has been very slow due to lack of ressources and the technical difficulties. You may know tha "any" stone of the church is different from others and has to be specifically designed. At present, computers make this design more esay may you make to know tha two big computers work some days in parallel to design the pieces: those from Barcelona and Harvard Architecture Schools. The use of laser for cutting and measurements is also involved...

Gaudi had no technologican means to finish his work so he was not in a hurry so it expected that technological problems will be solved in the future... in the time of very powerful computers, laser, etc.

For all thees reasons, is a building different from any other in the world.

Hi Flea b , I have always liked a 'sea view' & anyway it is our 'silver'. Good news, no the tickets have not arrived, my wife has finally found the dress she wanted. Now calm down, it is still 3 weeks, 3 days & 20 hours to go.

Hi Fiona & Trish, fellow travellers, I have received my tickets, but was disappointed with the lack of info about activities on board or details of the formal/informal nights etc. I know their web site gives a broad outline of what goes on, but I expected a bit more detailed programme.

I emailed the company & the only further info. is that there are 3 formal nights, which includes the Captains Welcome & Farewell Cocktail parties. The theme nights will be 'British', Country & Western & Tropical & the other nights will be a mixture of informal & casual. Apparently the info on the formal nights should have been included in our pack.

Excitement is building not long to go now. Wayne:) :) :)

Hi Welshy, I got a piece of paper with that info on, my tickets came yesterday (10th). Do we need to take stetsons??!!! Flea B x

Mine havent arrived yet bit I`m not panicking yet !!

Hi Welshy, I got a piece of paper with that info on, my tickets came yesterday (10th). Do we need to take stetsons??!!! Flea B x

I don't know, but I have my grass skirt!!

I believe my wife is packing a cowboy hat & my Hawian shirt. Are you expected to dress up according to the theme? Welshy

I don't know??? Shall we start a new thread??? It's ok taking cowbay hats... but where do you pack them, roll up with hat boxes! Or wearing them, only joking! I might ask on ship happens. There are a few Fred Olsen cruisers who will know more. I'm assuming British would be red, white and blue. Not sure though! flea b

I don't know??? Shall we start a new thread??? It's ok taking cowbay hats... but where do you pack them, roll up with hat boxes! Or wearing them, only joking! I might ask on ship happens. There are a few Fred Olsen cruisers who will know more. I'm assuming British would be red, white and blue. Not sure though! flea b

From what I can gather after chatting to my TA who sails Olsen alot...hence why I have 4 cruises through his recommendations....the British Night is the ladies wear red, white or blue or all three colours in a formal outfit, the gentlemen wear smart dress suits with red or blue ties and white shirts. The dining room is decked in the Union flag, red, white and blue bunting and table decorations. Apparently its quite something to see and is similar to what Cunard do.

Hope that helps :)

I'm on a 4 day Braemar mini in a couple of weeks time, my first cruise with Olsen and really looking forward to my other thre and getting aboard Balmoral in late 2008 (ex NCL Crown) which I spent a magical Christmas sailing around Cape Horn :)

We had a British night on Legend last year but weren`t forewarned about it - I luckilly had red white and blue garments and beads so i managed to put something together. A lot of cruisers didn`t join in with it though so I felt a bit conspicuous ! especially on the Egyptian night when I wore a toga ( a sheet draped around me ! )

Thanks Goldryder, very helpful. Luckily I do have new red dress:) Will look for some Hawaiian lei? flowers. Years ago my Mum used to collect these off P&O ships where they were given out for tropical night, really nice silky ones! but a friend of mine went on Oceana at Easter and wasn't provided any. Tricia, I think you are very brave to wear a Toga! Surely you weren't the only one? Sounds fun! Fiona x

Fiona - No I wasn`t the only one - hubby and 2 sons wore togas too ! We were definitely in the minority though. As there were hundreds of people at the toga folding session which was held on the pool deck on the afternoon prior to the event I assumed everyone would be participating. Of course you don`t find that out until you emerge from your cabin !!!

Hi Tricia, I'll mention this to my Sister who is going on Legend 22/7, maybe it's a regular thing? At least you weren't party poopers! I expect you have some lovely photo's to remember it by. I have bid for some Hawaiian lei garlands on ebay and will look for cheap cowboy hats, or neck scarves! I have 3 lovely days off work before the children break up next week, going to 'spring clean' the house before our holiday! Hope your tickets come today :) They are very nice! Fiona x

I'm still waiting for my docs to arrive too...its sooooo frustrating and the poor postman must think there is a mad woman living here :D

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise, sounds like you will have alot of fun :D

Hi Tricia, I'll mention this to my Sister who is going on Legend 22/7, maybe it's a regular thing? At least you weren't party poopers! I expect you have some lovely photo's to remember it by. I have bid for some Hawaiian lei garlands on ebay and will look for cheap cowboy hats, or neck scarves! I have 3 lovely days off work before the children break up next week, going to 'spring clean' the house before our holiday! Hope your tickets come today :) They are very nice! Fiona x

Stiill no tickets Fiona !!! By the way how old are your children ? I have 2 boys - ages 11 and 9

I'm still waiting for my docs to arrive too...its sooooo frustrating and the poor postman must think there is a mad woman living here :D

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise, sounds like you will have alot of fun :D

I can imagine you waiting for posty! I kept rushing home from work thinking will they be there?? to disappointment when still not arrived! I bet they will come tomorrow. Have a Brilliant time on Braemar, PLEASE tell me all about it when you get back. Fiona X :)

Archived