Black Watch Med 31 July

flea b

Tricia, Daughter is 14 (15 in September) and Son is 12 (13 in September). Years 9 and 7 in school years. They get on really well and I think they will want to 'go off' from us quite a bit while we are on the ship, we will see how it goes. They will be really well behaved so I can trust them. PS. It is Marie & Andrew! Ring TA if tickets not here by next week!! With the docs there is all the info on excursions- I'm sure it tells you to send payment to Fred Olsen by 28th July to secure your places, so you need them! We're not doing any but you should have the option. Hope you get them tomorrow, Bye for now, Fiona x

I'm still waiting for my docs to arrive too...its sooooo frustrating and the poor postman must think there is a mad woman living here :D

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise, sounds like you will have alot of fun :D

I can imagine you waiting for posty! I kept rushing home from work thinking will they be there?? to disappointment when still not arrived! I bet they will come tomorrow. Have a Brilliant time on Braemar, PLEASE tell me all about it when you get back. Fiona X :)

No worries and thank you, Fiona :)

Although not on her for long, I shall be doing a full trip report with photos :D

I don't know??? Shall we start a new thread??? It's ok taking cowbay hats... but where do you pack them, roll up with hat boxes! Or wearing them, only joking! I might ask on ship happens. There are a few Fred Olsen cruisers who will know more. I'm assuming British would be red, white and blue. Not sure though! flea b

If you ask on ship happens I can monitor the responses, it may be more interesting than discussions on toiletries(sorry!). It seems the answer is not to go overboard with the dressing up bit but keep it simple otherwise there is not enough room in our cases. To avoid Trish's experiences I will make sure there are plenty of other people willing to enter into the spirit of the evening before I wear my grass skirt:o :o

If you ask on ship happens I can monitor the responses, it may be more interesting than discussions on toiletries(sorry!). It seems the answer is not to go overboard with the dressing up bit but keep it simple otherwise there is not enough room in our cases. To avoid Trish's experiences I will make sure there are plenty of other people willing to enter into the spirit of the evening before I wear my grass skirt:o :o

Sorry Welshy - won`t mention toiletries again - if my hub knew I had asked such a question he would have been of the seem opinion as you ! It`s a woman thing !

Still no tickets - but the postman hasn`t been yet. Fiona - I`m following your request for info re themed nights on Ship Happens

Welshy - I'm sorry too!! I would call it a shopping / girl thing. Cruel husband has took bank card off me, I said I need it just in case I see any bargains, he said he will let me out at the weekend when he will be with me. He's not mean really, just more sensible than me! :)

Tricia - Hope postman has your tickets today!

Still no tickets for me yet...oh well, perhaps I will be collecting them at Dover...I don't mind the wait but its that poor postman who I feel sorry for, every morning this week I have been sat by the front door ready to pounce on him :eek: ;)

Goldryder - lucky postman.;)

Fiona/Trish - Apologies accepted!!! I thought that once I had paid for the cruise that would be the end of the cost until we board, silly me. At least if we go on another cruise my wife will not need any more gear, does she?:rolleyes:

Useful response to your enquiry on ship happens Fiona. I understand that Black Watch has alot of repeat cruisers who know what to expect & will probably be prepared. My wife has been loaned a matching pink!!! hat & gun holster. Perhaps on that night I will stay in the bar (Wife says good).

hi flea b we did a crusie on black watch in april..report on ship happens website.lovely ship, no shiney or glitzy, more like a comfy pair of slippers that are just soo lovely to slip on. In the main dining room if you get edwin you are in for a treat..he made my 50th really special,such a lovely sense of humour. we went round the edge of the b.o.b. and it was as smooth as can be both ways.. i think you will like it. our cabin was right at the front ,port (lefthand) side on promanade deck.so we could look out of the window over the bow of the ship..it was lovely....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm joining you all on Black Watch on the 31st July and was really excited until I turned on the TV tonight and watched Cruises Uncovered on ITV! What a nightmare. I immediately turned to the internet to try and find solace - and I found you. So thank you, thank you, thank you - I'm back feeling excited again.

Molly (Bet you'll never guess where I'm from!)

Molly, nice to meet a fellow Celt. Don't worry, at least Fred Olsen was not mentioned on that programme. Problems seem to focus on the very large ships not little old Black Watch!!

Only 6 days to go, enjoy the cruise:D

Hi Molly, welcome!! yes - we too watched the programme, nothing about Fred Olsen - phew!! Thought I was in for some stick when I saw it was on TV (it was all my idea and I booked it!) but even hubby agreed we will be fine! Anyway 3 more shifts at work to do then HOORAY I'm on holiday. Mine is starting Friday teatime - I'm officially on holiday from then on!!! See you on Monday!!

Flea B x (Very very excited Flea B!)

Hi Molly, welcome!! yes - we too watched the programme, nothing about Fred Olsen - phew!! Thought I was in for some stick when I saw it was on TV (it was all my idea and I booked it!) but even hubby agreed we will be fine! Anyway 3 more shifts at work to do then HOORAY I'm on holiday. Mine is starting Friday teatime - I'm officially on holiday from then on!!! See you on Monday!!

Flea B x (Very very excited Flea B!)

Hi Fiona Molly Welshy - yes I watched it too ! bit worried about the low balconies and my 2 boys though - will be watching them like a hawk !!

See you all on Monday - are we all going to wear red carnations so we recognise each other ? I bet the kids meet up first Fiona - what do you think ?

Hi Tricia, no doubt my kids will go off exploring while I'm unpacking! I have thought about walkie talkies do you know if they are allowed? I'm a bit overprotective and like to know where they are or I can't relax! I'm hoping they will make some friends but can imagine them being a bit shy at first. Not looking forward to packing for 4! Got my tropical flowers yesterday, still need something for Country & Western...it's never ending! I'm hoping to be on deck for sail-away, bye for now, Fiona x

Hi Tricia, no doubt my kids will go off exploring while I'm unpacking! I have thought about walkie talkies do you know if they are allowed? I'm a bit overprotective and like to know where they are or I can't relax! I'm hoping they will make some friends but can imagine them being a bit shy at first. Not looking forward to packing for 4! Got my tropical flowers yesterday, still need something for Country & Western...it's never ending! I'm hoping to be on deck for sail-away, bye for now, Fiona x

Hi Fiona - not sure about walkie talkies but there has been lots of discussion about them on these boards. I hadn`t thought of taking ours - its just something else for them to lose on their travels !! I`m not looking forward to all the packing either - some people i know are astonished that I pack for all 4 of us - so I`m glad you do too. I was hoping they might provide us with accessories for Country & Western and flowers for tropical evening - can`t take anymore stuff - the spare bedroom is piled high at the moment. Do you know if we are allowed to take on alcohol - i have a bottle of champagne I was given for my birthday and would love to sip it on our balcony !!!

Tricia, according to the brochure you have to hand your alcohol in til the end of the cruise. Maybe if you have a nice cabin steward he may bring it you early?? I think you may even get complimentary Champers in a balcony cabin, thought I'd read that on a review, with canapes!! Worth a try taking your own as you get it back anyway. I looked at ordering some Champagne to be in our cabin on arrival (£24cheapest) but I think I'd prefer to have some in a bar as I think our cabin will be cramped! I've just heard from my Sister on Legend, having a brill time, ship fantastic, on way to Rome... then we got cut off. Last day at work tomorrow, HOORAY!! I'm going to give up on the Western gear too, enough is enough! Good Night, Fiona x

Tricia, according to the brochure you have to hand your alcohol in til the end of the cruise. Maybe if you have a nice cabin steward he may bring it you early?? I think you may even get complimentary Champers in a balcony cabin, thought I'd read that on a review, with canapes!! Worth a try taking your own as you get it back anyway. I looked at ordering some Champagne to be in our cabin on arrival (£24cheapest) but I think I'd prefer to have some in a bar as I think our cabin will be cramped! I've just heard from my Sister on Legend, having a brill time, ship fantastic, on way to Rome... then we got cut off. Last day at work tomorrow, HOORAY!! I'm going to give up on the Western gear too, enough is enough! Good Night, Fiona x

Just read about handing in alcohol - might still take it though. Glad your sister is enjoying Legend - we certainly did last year ! I`ll get back to sorting everyones clothes out now and a bit of ironing and cleaning ! See you soon - I hope Tricia x

Fiona,Trish & Molly have a safe journey to Dover on Monday. We are setting off on Sunday & staying overnight outside London, it extends the hols. If I see you in the bar I will buy you a drink ie a coke & 2 straws, can't have you falling overboard!!!

Ah well the planning, researching & following the interesting comments on this site plus Ship Happens is over, bring on the cruise:) :) :) :)

Bon Voyage

Wayne

Fiona,Trish & Molly have a safe journey to Dover on Monday. We are setting off on Sunday & staying overnight outside London, it extends the hols. If I see you in the bar I will buy you a drink ie a coke & 2 straws, can't have you falling overboard!!!

Ah well the planning, researching & following the interesting comments on this site plus Ship Happens is over, bring on the cruise:) :) :) :)

Bon Voyage

Wayne

Hi Wayne Fiona Molly We are also setting off tomorrow - staying at a Travelodge near Dartford tunnel. Didn`t want to risk missing the ship sail by getting in any traffic jams on Monday! 2 straws between 3 of us - can`t you run to one more ! Hope to bump into you sometime over the next 2 weeks. Can`t believe it`s actually here ! Bye for now Tricia

Hi Tricia, Wayne & Molly!!! Just wanted to wish you all safe journeys down to Dover, I think I will be one of the last to board :( Hope to meet you all at some point, Wayne - I like Bacardi in mine thanks. Or Vodka. And I do like a straw! Cheers, Fiona X

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Tricia, Wayne & Molly!!! Just wanted to wish you all safe journeys down to Dover, I think I will be one of the last to board :( Hope to meet you all at some point, Wayne - I like Bacardi in mine thanks. Or Vodka. And I do like a straw! Cheers, Fiona X

Hi everyone - hope you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did but we didn`t manage to meet up did we ? I was looking for you and your children Fiona but no`one seemed to fit the description especially the ages of your children. Did your two go to the kids club ? My eldest was in the talent show if you were there at at all. We were picked out by the comedian in his first show and by the magician in the final show ( 10.30 shows both times ) Were any of you at these shows ? Must get back to the pile of washing !

Hi Tricia!, really happy to hear you enjoyed it, we did but I kept thinking about you and hoping you were not disappointed after Legend last year. I'm sure they are very different. I found it to be very friendly and we made lots of friends. Both my kids suffered on the first Tuesday but they were not alone were they!! They did try the club but felt too old and soon made friends of their own and were very happy. They got moaned at a few times by older people who were not happy about the amount of kids on board but I'm sure they would have found something else to moan about had it not been the kids! I did go to most shows but don't recall seeing a magician and a child, I was at the first showing? I did see Alex's joke in the junior programme!! My son came running up to me saying "look it's a tickle!" Overall we really enjoyed it & the kids all cried when it was time to say goodbye to each other. You will have to let me know how you rated it compared to your other cruises, I personally found it very friendly and thought the crew were wonderful, food delicious, drinks very reasonable and we enjoyed the entertainment. Sorry I did not meet you, that was a shame, I did keep looking, wondering? then it was over all too soon, Fiona x :-(

Hi Tricia!, really happy to hear you enjoyed it, we did but I kept thinking about you and hoping you were not disappointed after Legend last year. I'm sure they are very different. I found it to be very friendly and we made lots of friends. Both my kids suffered on the first Tuesday but they were not alone were they!! They did try the club but felt too old and soon made friends of their own and were very happy. They got moaned at a few times by older people who were not happy about the amount of kids on board but I'm sure they would have found something else to moan about had it not been the kids! I did go to most shows but don't recall seeing a magician and a child, I was at the first showing? I did see Alex's joke in the junior programme!! My son came running up to me saying "look it's a tickle!" Overall we really enjoyed it & the kids all cried when it was time to say goodbye to each other. You will have to let me know how you rated it compared to your other cruises, I personally found it very friendly and thought the crew were wonderful, food delicious, drinks very reasonable and we enjoyed the entertainment. Sorry I did not meet you, that was a shame, I did keep looking, wondering? then it was over all too soon, Fiona x :-(

Hi Fiona No we were not disappointed at all - all I can say is that the entertainment on Legend was far superior and the kids didn`t get moaned at by anyone. I made my point about the kids when I filled in the comments sheet. We found it quite amusing hearing all the moaners in the end !! Our cabin was fantastic - the best we have had - lots of room and canapes delivered every day. A bottle of champagne was there when we arrived. Was your son around the pool when the pool was half full and the water kept sloshing around and drenching everyone ? Alex told me that there was boy called Andrew there at the time. We were at all the shows but the later one - the comedian asked me where I was from and I was hoping you might have been there at the time when you heard Preston mentioned. Alex suffered with sea sickness - the rest of just felt a bit queasy and didn`t eat much on the Tuesday. I do think Fred Olsen will have to get their act together regarding children though - after all they are the cruisers of tomorrow aren`t they. I was sorry not to have met you too - as you say it all went so quickly ! Did you meet Molly or Wayne ?

Tricia, let me know if you did not get my email, not sure if it's gone or not! If you got it I have been sent those pickies from the couple on the middle picture. They were very friendly! I did not see Molly or Welshy. Andrew was there when the pool was half empty. I had my say on the comments sheet regarding kids too! Hope to talk via email if it is working! Fiona

Tricia, let me know if you did not get my email, not sure if it's gone or not! If you got it I have been sent those pickies from the couple on the middle picture. They were very friendly! I did not see Molly or Welshy. Andrew was there when the pool was half empty. I had my say on the comments sheet regarding kids too! Hope to talk via email if it is working! Fiona

Got your email and pictures - recognise Andrew but not you or your hubby. Have sent some of our cruise pictures to you. Tricia

Hi Fiona & Tricia

Sorry I have not responded sooner, but my computer crashed while on the cruise, which my son told me about by ringing the ship(just got the bill). I also was looking for couples with 2 children, but there seemed to be so many!!!

We had a wonderful time, the wife was also ill on the Tuesday, but soon found her sea legs. Tricia how come you had champagne? We had a bottle of water.

If you were in the Lido Lounge at midnight on the British night you would have seen me singing the solitary Welsh song with the crew. I was wearing an inflatable British hat which my wife made me wear.

I too found that everyone, both crew & passengers were very friendly, the food first class & our waiters exceptional. We also enjoyed the entertainment, particularly Chris Watkins, the violinist, but I am biased as he was from Swansea. I also enjoyed the comedian Maxwell, although my wife was not happy when I was drinking with him at 3am one morning. Although I made it up to her by arranging for the waiters to present her with a cake on the last formal night for our anniversary.

The only downside to our holiday was that our camera was stolen in Barcelona(we were too busy protecting our passports). However, lots of people hearing about our loss offered to send us copies of their photos, proving how friendly people were(we have already received some).

After one week back in work it all seems like a distant memory, but we have caught the bug & cannot wait to go again.:):)

Archived