Black Watch Med 31 July

flea b

Hi Fiona & Tricia

Sorry I have not responded sooner, but my computer crashed while on the cruise, which my son told me about by ringing the ship(just got the bill). I also was looking for couples with 2 children, but there seemed to be so many!!!

We had a wonderful time, the wife was also ill on the Tuesday, but soon found her sea legs. Tricia how come you had champagne? We had a bottle of water.

If you were in the Lido Lounge at midnight on the British night you would have seen me singing the solitary Welsh song with the crew. I was wearing an inflatable British hat which my wife made me wear.

I too found that everyone, both crew & passengers were very friendly, the food first class & our waiters exceptional. We also enjoyed the entertainment, particularly Chris Watkins, the violinist, but I am biased as he was from Swansea. I also enjoyed the comedian Maxwell, although my wife was not happy when I was drinking with him at 3am one morning. Although I made it up to her by arranging for the waiters to present her with a cake on the last formal night for our anniversary.

The only downside to our holiday was that our camera was stolen in Barcelona(we were too busy protecting our passports). However, lots of people hearing about our loss offered to send us copies of their photos, proving how friendly people were(we have already received some).

After one week back in work it all seems like a distant memory, but we have caught the bug & cannot wait to go again.:):)

Hi Wayne

Sorry our paths didn`t cross - I have been emailing Fiona and it turns out we were sat on the same row at the cookery demo and she actually spoke to my husband at one point. We have since exchanged photos so that is how we know that ! We werent in the Lido lounge either on British night but it sounds like we missed a treat ! Which sitting where you on by the way ? There were so many people celebrating anniversaries - cakes were coming out every few minutes ! Really sorry to hear about your camera - we had been warned previously about theft being rife in Barcelona so we took very little with us and hubby wore a money belt. Whereabouts were you when it was taken ? Maxwell picked us out at his show as we were on the front row asking us where we were from - don`t know whether you were there then. Dean Cordain also asked my hubby to choose a cabin number during one of his tricks. He caught the ball that was going round.

We got champagne cos we were in a suite. They brought canapes every day for us as well. Where was your cabin ? We had been upgraded so it was a real treat.

I`ve come to accept that on the second day of the cruise I will feel ill. Its happened on all three cruises now although I wasn`t as bad this time. At least we didn`t need an injection that I believe many people had.

Oh well back to reality now - looking at cruises for next year already !!

Hi Tricia

We had balcony cabin 8004 and were on table 55 for the second sitting for dinner, near the entrance to the Orchid Room by the window and we watched the 10.30 cabaret every night. We were at Chris Watkins first show when he asked if anyone was from Wales and after we responded he asked which town & we said Cwmbran.

Apart from the bingo & dolphin racing (sad people) the only other activity I took part in was the table tennis when I paired up with our neighbour from the next cabin to win on one of the days.

The camera was taken near the tourist bus info point near Christopher Columbus statue.

As regards the sea sickness, if its any consolation, even the Ships docter admitted to being ill on that second day. He was on our table for the first formal night.

I am also considering future cruises, but they may have to wait until my son finishes university (an expensive business). It sounds as if it will not be long before you depart on your next cruise. Enjoy.

Hi Tricia

We had balcony cabin 8004 and were on table 55 for the second sitting for dinner, near the entrance to the Orchid Room by the window and we watched the 10.30 cabaret every night. We were at Chris Watkins first show when he asked if anyone was from Wales and after we responded he asked which town & we said Cwmbran.

Apart from the bingo & dolphin racing (sad people) the only other activity I took part in was the table tennis when I paired up with our neighbour from the next cabin to win on one of the days.

The camera was taken near the tourist bus info point near Christopher Columbus statue.

As regards the sea sickness, if its any consolation, even the Ships docter admitted to being ill on that second day. He was on our table for the first formal night.

I am also considering future cruises, but they may have to wait until my son finishes university (an expensive business). It sounds as if it will not be long before you depart on your next cruise. Enjoy.

We were in cabin 8806 - same floor as you ! The cabin was called Knock Clune.We must have walked past you loads of times ! We were on second sitting table 2 tucked right up in a corner opposite the entrance to the Braemar lounge. Yes I remember Chris Watkins asking who came from Wales at his first show and I remember you replying. We were sat further back than you on that night. We also went to the 10.30 show every night - front row for Maxwell Plums performance. When I said I came from Preston he thought I said Weston ! He made a joke about Bolton then. My boys did dolphin racing every time and were the jockeys on a couple of occasions.My son sang at the kids talent show if you were there at all.

Thats interesting to hear the ships doctor was ill - did he say he`d suffered before ?

Bye for now Tricia

Hi Welshy, Fiona here!! Really happy to hear you enjoyed yourselves on the cruise. I was really paranoid in Barcelona, Andy had a bum bag with everything in tucked into his bottoms making him look really tubby! Sorry about your camera, I did notice people bash into you a lot down the Ramblas, we went back to the ship early that day cos I just couldn't relax. I really enjoyed the sailaway with the party & BBQ! Sorry I never did get that drink out of you, :( O well... time to save up to do it all again!! :) :)

Hi Tricia

I remember the cabins with the stange names. I thought they were the posh peoples cabins. One night we had a Kids Club programme left in our cabin by mistake, meant for cabin 8804, which I then pushed under their door.

The doctor only does a few cruises a year & it had been a long time since his last cruise, therefore he needed a couple of days to find his sea legs.

Fiona, I also found it difficult to relax after our incident, I was suspicious of everyone who came near me. Never mind, we tried not to let it spoil our holiday. I also enjoyed the sailaway from Barcelona & that was the night my wife had to drag me away from the bar at 3am, hic!!!

Regarding that drink, you never know we may all be on the same cruise again in the future & this time I will wear a red carnation, because I was frustrated at trying to guess who were Tricia & Fiona.

Hi Tricia

I remember the cabins with the stange names. I thought they were the posh peoples cabins. One night we had a Kids Club programme left in our cabin by mistake, meant for cabin 8804, which I then pushed under their door.

The doctor only does a few cruises a year & it had been a long time since his last cruise, therefore he needed a couple of days to find his sea legs.

Fiona, I also found it difficult to relax after our incident, I was suspicious of everyone who came near me. Never mind, we tried not to let it spoil our holiday. I also enjoyed the sailaway from Barcelona & that was the night my wife had to drag me away from the bar at 3am, hic!!!

Regarding that drink, you never know we may all be on the same cruise again in the future & this time I will wear a red carnation, because I was frustrated at trying to guess who were Tricia & Fiona.

Hi Welshy - the cabins I think were meant for the posh people but I can assure you we aren`t posh - we were just very fortunate to have been upgraded. When we were leaving Sete and all the people were waving us off I felt like royalty on the bacony !!

I too enjoyed all the sailaways - what a great atmosphere there was.

Weren`t we all silly not to have arranged to meet up it would have been so easy to do. ? We all spent 2 weeks watching and wondering. I got as far as finding who I thought was Fionas son Andrew via info. from my son but every time I saw him he wasn`t with a parent- just having a great time with his friends ! So near yet so far ! Definitely red carnations all round next time !

Hi

Hope your Med cruise went well, we just returned from the following cruise on Black Watch - 8 days to Norway. It was great, food, service and even the weather were all good - great in Eidfjord and even the dreaded North Sea crossing was calm, so much so that the Captain commented that the swell "was not worth mentioning"!

The best bit though was a concert band from Eynsford in Kent. They were paying customers just like the rest of us, but they put on 3 or 4 first class performances. They played music from the Movies, Stage and Classics/Proms. The Proms concert was played from the back of the ship as we sailed out of Olden through the fjords - it was magical! I don't know if Fred Olsen has any plans to get this band back on board but if they did we would definitely book. They defined themselves as a "wind band", which I think is an orchestra without strings.

Hi

Hope your Med cruise went well, we just returned from the following cruise on Black Watch - 8 days to Norway. It was great, food, service and even the weather were all good - great in Eidfjord and even the dreaded North Sea crossing was calm, so much so that the Captain commented that the swell "was not worth mentioning"!

The best bit though was a concert band from Eynsford in Kent. They were paying customers just like the rest of us, but they put on 3 or 4 first class performances. They played music from the Movies, Stage and Classics/Proms. The Proms concert was played from the back of the ship as we sailed out of Olden through the fjords - it was magical! I don't know if Fred Olsen has any plans to get this band back on board but if they did we would definitely book. They defined themselves as a "wind band", which I think is an orchestra without strings.

Sounds a lovely cruise. Just out of interest can I ask if there were any children on board ? There were 130 on our cruise and it did cause a few problems around the swimming pool. I would be interested to know if they had changed their policy re. children. They had designated swimming times as did the adults but there were still complaints ( I have 2 children by the way ) They had a wonderful time and as far as I am aware did not cause any problems anywhere on the ship. Sounds like you had a treat with the band on board

Archived