Privacy on Island Princess balcony

pupydog

I am not familiar with the Emerald Deck but Princess currently has a 24 hour watch by an Officer on all balconies. His entire job (they take shifts) is to watch all the balconies. This was implemented after the fire on the Star Princess. I am not sure if they are doing this on the 2 ships that had sprinkler systems installed recently (Star and Sun Princess I believe) but it is definitely being done on all the other ships.

Thank you, Tom. Your site was extremely helpful. I was able to see that our cabin is covered from your diagram.:)

Coral, I was not aware that they had officers watching the balconies after the fire. What did they do, install cameras?;)

I was told (Island P) that they were watching from the bridge AND someplace from the aft of the ship. So really instead of 2 people watching the balconies .. there are FOUR people watching the balconies!

I wondered if they would wave back . but never tried it. It is kinda wierd being on the balcony and looking back at someone looking AT you. Tho there are parts (the forward side of the balcony) that will give you total privacy.

They mainly are watching for smoke rising from a balcony!

It DID NOT deter a cigar smoker somewhere nearby from fouling the air outside the balconies. Guess these 'watchers' can not see cigar smoke!

They mainly are watching for smoke rising from a balcony!

It DID NOT deter a cigar smoker somewhere nearby from fouling the air outside the balconies. Guess these 'watchers' can not see cigar smoke!

The fire watch is not to identify smokers on balconies (cigar or otherwise), it’s to watch for fire. There is no rule that disallows smoking on the balcony.

As for privacy, the balconies are 100% private, but not secluded, even those that are covered. Anyone can lean over their rail and see into the balcony next to them.

Archived