Size of Balcony on Dawn Princess

dolfan95831

HI,

My DH and I are planning on booking Nov.20,2006 Mexican Riviera Cruise. We booked this same cruise last year and had an inside cabin. We enjoyed the darkness of the inside, but are thinking about balcony this time around. Please share any information about Dawn Princess Balcony. Size of balcony (will we be able to move around?) Does the room get dark enough for mid day naps? Is it worth 500 more total dollars? What kind of chairs are on the balcony? Does a chaise fit on it? Is there one particular floor that is better for balconies than another?

Thank you for any help you have!

David and Kim

HI,

My DH and I are planning on booking Nov.20,2006 Mexican Riviera Cruise. We booked this same cruise last year and had an inside cabin. We enjoyed the darkness of the inside, but are thinking about balcony this time around. Please share any information about Dawn Princess Balcony. Size of balcony (will we be able to move around?) Does the room get dark enough for mid day naps? Is it worth 500 more total dollars? What kind of chairs are on the balcony? Does a chaise fit on it? Is there one particular floor that is better for balconies than another?

Thank you for any help you have!

David and Kim

The balcony sizes are small, about 3 1/2-4 feet deep by the width of the cabin. They have two plastic chairs and a small round table on them. If you want a chaise, then everything else would have to be removed and then it would still be tight.

As for the mid day naps, the curtains will take care of that as they are the room darkening type.

The balconies on the Dawn are quit small but cozy. They are as wide as the cabin but only about 3 feet deep. They are cut out of the hull which affords more privacy than on other Princess ships. They are equipped with a small table and two reclining chairs. I agree with Largin, if you try to fit a lounger on them you would probably only get one and then not have any room to walk around. If you want a dark room for napping, just close the drapes. They are lined so they don't allow any light in. Somewhere I read that one of the decks has a bigger cut out for the balconies, but I can't remember which on. Someone else may be able to answer that question.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/suzycruisy/main/dawn_princess_inspection_10_21_05

many of the cabins types and balconies are shown here in photos. Just click on the smaller thumbnail photo for it to enlarge.

Balconies look small, but nice (except for the suites which have much larger balconies).

Enjoyed the thorough and detailed tour. Good Job! Thanks!

Bill

OH MY GOSH! Thank you all so much for the advice. Milliesmom, Just incredible the job you did with the pictures. I think we will end up booking an inside and just book another cruise sooner. Thank you all again and happy cruising!

As for the mid day naps, the curtains will take care of that as they are the room darkening type.

I've found that often the drapes do not close all the way for total darkness, so have found that taking a few clothes pegs helps!

Also, IMHO, a balcony on a Sun class ship simply does not represent good value. Either get an obstructed outside or inside cabin *or* go all the way and book a mini (AC). We've been in all cats (inside, outside, balcony, suite [AA]... and find that for warm weather, it's an AC and for cool weather or port intensive it's an inside (or obstructed view).

PS - here's a pic of the tiny balcony on a Sun class ship:

568042200303_0_ALB.jpg

Fantastic series of photos and noted two things. Not represented were about 8 cabins on the Dolphin deck, directly under the bridge wing. EXTRA large windows, 5x5 feet, angled out to fit the angle of the bow. Strange to be able to look out a window and look straight down to the bow wake. We were on the sister ship the Sea Princess 4 years ago and the room TV was at least a 21” model. From one of the photos I spotted what appeared to be a small 13” set.

As far as value for the balcony, we keep the curtains wide-open most the time. Used or not, the eye sees that extra 40+ square feet of space and it does make a difference.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Enjoyed the thorough and detailed tour. Good Job! Thanks!

Bill

I honestly can't take credit for these photos ...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/suzycrui...ction_10_21_05

I found them thru a link here on cruise critic a while back and bookmarked them. They were so thorough and have been very helpful. We are planning a cruise on the Dawn soon, and it helped to see the photos. We booked a balcony cabin. I agree, the balconies seem small, but will be nice either way.

Archived