The first 24 hrs onboard - what's your favourite bit?

treacle

Believe it or not my favourite part is getting to know the rest of the people on the cruise. I love asking them where they've been and whats good. Just to keep in the loop ;)

I'm with you on that. Getting to know so many people was part of what made me enjoy my Panama canal cruise so much.:)

I like the muster drill. I think it's fun to see everyone in their lifejackets.

I love the first dinner. It's a chance to make friends with your wait staff and get off on the right foot. It's also great to meet all of your table mates, and see where they are from.

I like the muster drill. I think it's fun to see everyone in their lifejackets.

I love the first dinner. It's a chance to make friends with your wait staff and get off on the right foot. It's also great to meet all of your table mates, and see where they are from.

I always look forward to meeting my table mates and I always hope that we will have something in common to talk about.

I don't have any business commenting here because I'm going to be a first time cruiser on the Carnival Freedom January 5, 2008. But after reading all your comments and stories, I'm so looking forward to the muster drill just to see how ridiculous I look and my hubby and to see the inside of the ship. We've seen many ships in port, but never been on one, so that is going to be a magical moment for us. Then of course after that the party begins.

Mine probably sounds extremely boring, but DH and I have a tradition of opening the bubbly that our TA always has ready for us in our cabin and then we unpack drinking it. By the time we finish, we know every little spot in the cabin and are giggly, in excellent moods and ready to start the vacation. At this point, even the life drills don't bother us.

Linda

• 7 months later...

Dropping the travel bags off and leaving them in the cabin. Yes, the same ones that most people call "carry ons" from flying and travelling all day that you almost feel is apart of your body and not looking at them again until that night. Then that first nights sleep AFTER a long day of travelling.

Walking into the pool deck area, hearing the band and grabbing my first frozen Drink Of The Day. :D

I also love the time right after I'm unpacked and everything is organized, and I realize that I have nothing I HAVE to do for the duration of the cruise. The choice is mine. I can eat when I want, sleep when I want, drink however much I want (God, I sound like such a lush by I'm really not) and spend every morning out on my balcony, feeling like I'm the only one on the ship!

... or basically what Sarah said!

I too love it hitting the pool deck and grabbing a foo foo cocktail.

You know it's time to party!

:D We also get on board as soon as is allowed! I love walking into the stateroom for the first time- especially if it's a category that we have never stayed in before!! Going out on the veranda, cracking open the champagne, and toasting another wonderful cruise to my husband of 23 years! (We've got to start planning one for our 25th!!). I also make my first spa appointment, and we tour the ship. After our champagne, and unpacking, we are usually too tired to go to the main dining room, or other cafes, so we get room service. :D

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! How can you just have ONE favorite thing to do in your first 24 hours onboard? From the moment you get your first glimpse of your ship; there are several favorites that I could list:

2) being greeted as you take your first steps across the gangway

3) Finding your cabin for the first time & dropping off your carry-ons

4) ahhhhhhhh...that first foo-foo drink up on the Lido Deck!!

5) completing the Muster Drill...now the real fun starts!

6) leaving port (whether we're just pushing off or loosing sight of land...it's ALL good!

7) Your first morning coffee on your balcony

But one of my all-time favorites is that unmistakable sound you hear when you flush!!!

What a lovely idea for a thread!

My favourite moments are when I first see the ship, then there are those magical hours exploring the ship once I've dropped off my luggage.

Off course, there is that first drink on board and that magical moment when you realize "we're moving!"

One other special time is on that first night when most others have gone to bed, and you begin to feel that you have the ship more to yourself as you take a walk on deck.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, and especially to those who suggested timing your cruise for a full moon!

Interested to know everyone's favourite bit of cruising in the first 24 hours!

I love it all, but I have this ongoing challenge with my family to be the 1st passenger on the ship. I'm 2 of 9 now, with a couple of close calls.

Seems crazy, but getting on the ship, gettting to the lido before it shuts down (an extra meal, I say), and exploring the ship before the "crowds".

There is also something to be said about walking the upper deck during the wie hours in the morning. The cool, crisp air. The distant shore just coming into focus ahead. Watching the sun slowly rise above the distant mountain tops, and the gentle sounds of the ship gliding across the water.

Aaahh, the cruising life.

I love everyone's comments and I can't narrow it down to one.

I love getting on board right away (I've been one f the first 50 before which makes it easier to get my choice spa and Chop's reservations)....I also love the first sight of the ship.

a couple of the stranger things for me....the wood RCCL uses for the interior handrails is, IMHO a distinctive color and so seeing those handrails and the grren tinted glass always makes me feel like I'm on vacation. The other is I love the chimes and DING used for the ship's intercom so hearing those for the first time is always cool. I managed to find the DING and use it as a system sound on my computer :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the suspense when you're waiting in line in the (in my case) RCCL Building, getting everything taken care of and you know the ship is right outside but you can't see it...waiting in line for an hour just to get the "okay" to get on board. Then the walk that seems like it's taking forever to get to he ship...then the family picture before getting on board and finally "Welcome aboard the __________ of the Seas, enjoy your vacation. Now look at this spot and try not to move until you hear a click and we getthe profile of your face...for security measures, you understand." lol

Then touring the ship freely, getting to know your new home. Then going to dinner, having someone take care of you, eat whatever you want. Go to a show afterward. After the show, go to your nice clean room, meet your first towel buddy, eat the chocolate, change, then fall onto the bed and have a comfy sleep...until you get woken up for Safety Drill time or have the alarm go off for the Midnight Buffet. :-)

Oh forget it, I love it all! I can't pick a favorite! It's vacation!

I wish the first 24 hours would go slower though, or maybe the whole week go much slower!

The limo ride to the pier...totally relaxing...first sight of the ship. Walking on board and being greeted like they were waiting just for ME! Seeing my room and standing ont he balcony...getting to know the ship..just to get lost the next day.

you're crusin' baby.

Archived