Well, Carnival just broke down a royal princess cruiser

flvol77

I booked a cat 11 suite mid-ship aboard the liberty April 28th 2007. I canceled my feb princess cruise and I am going on carnival. 8 days 5 ports I just couldn't help myself.

So any suggestions for a first time cruiser on Carnival? Especially coming from Princess?

Yeah I know I need to change my sig....

One hint. Try not to sail Carnival with Princess expectations. Carnival is a fine cruiseline but if you compare it to Princess on every little thing you MAY be disappointed.

Oh, no!! We LOVE Princess (my last 6 cruises with my husband) and are sailing the Legend in early 2007 because of a free cruise--balcony cabin free, but we will upgrade to Cat 11.

Please, please tell me the differences to expect...I know we will have to "fight for/demand" a table for two and will adjust (reluctantly) to assigned dining times but we are ready to do the alternative dining if we can't get a table for two. What else???

We sailed Carnival in the past but LOVE Princess...please explain the differences to expect.

Thanks, Judy

One hint. Try not to sail Carnival with Princess expectations. Carnival is a fine cruiseline but if you compare it to Princess on every little thing you MAY be disappointed.

Not sure what Princess expectations are, btu we sailed Princess and were extremely disappointed with the overall service.

I have been looking at the same ship and same date since this ship is so new and has the outdoor movie theater and a different itinerary.

I just recently sailed the Caribbean Princess and the Carnival Miracle. Between the two I had a blast on the Miracle and the Princess was more subtle. The rooms are bigger on Carnival and definitely the showers but I didn't stay in a suite - we stayed in balconies on both. The bedding was so much better on the Carnival ship and so was the food and service. Both ships were the same age but the Miracle was so much cleaner and much better taken care of inside. I saw stains and grime on the CB but not the Miracle.

You don't have to stay dressed up in the evening hours on Carnival if you don't want to and with Princess you felt out of place if you changed to more comfortable attire.

I guess Carnival is for ones who want to be relaxed and Princess is for those who want more elegance and don't get the opportunity at home to dress up for the nite.

Also Carnival had access on TV for your bill and the daily dinner menus whereas Princess didn't. Carnival showed more movies than Princess.

You will have a great time. Enjoy and hope I can make it too!

You wish to elaborate?

[Please, please tell me the differences to expect...I know we will have to "fight for/demand" a table for two and will adjust (reluctantly) to assigned dining times but we are ready to do the alternative dining if we can't get a table for two. What else???

Are tables for 2 harder to get on Carnival? - :confused: on most lines all you have to do is go to the dining room once you board to see if you can get your request honored-

[Please, please tell me the differences to expect...I know we will have to "fight for/demand" a table for two and will adjust (reluctantly) to assigned dining times but we are ready to do the alternative dining if we can't get a table for two. What else???

Are tables for 2 harder to get on Carnival? - :confused: on most lines all you have to do is go to the dining room once you board to see if you can get your request honored-

Depending on the ship, I think Carnival has quite a few two person tables. If you are not assigned one, it just takes a request with the maitre d.

The Liberty is a beautiful ship, sailed on her in February. It was pretty easy to get a table for two. As soon as we boarded the ship, we went to the dining room and requested a table for two, and that was it. I don't mind the bigger tables, but I saw the table that we were originally assigned to and there was a crazy girl who spoke really loud and didn't let anyone else get a word in, so we were pretty happy about out decision to go for a 2 seater.

Also, be sure to make a reservation at Harry's - the supper club. Well worth the extra $. I think it was an extra $25 pp.

I haven't sailed on Princess yet, so I can't compare, but I absolutely love Carnival. I will probably try Princess this Fall out of Houston as there is a fabulous itinerary.

Anyway, have fun! Hope you enjoy Carnival.

I've been on the Liberty 3 times in the past year and you will love it, I'll be going on it again next October. Its a great ship and go with an open mind and you will have a great time. I've been on over 30 Carnival cruises and 8 RCCL and now I'm going on my first NCL cruise, so I'm going with an open mind and not expecting anything but having a good time and a new experience. Life is too short to worry about the little things.

I have been on Princess and Carnival. Carnival being my favorite. Carnival ships are more "Vegas" looking. Love the 9 deck atriums. Princess ships have softer decor. Princess offers water, tea and coffee only. Carnival offers lemonade, fruit punch, hot chocolate and more. Also Cappuccino and espresso is included not extra, like on Princess. Carnival cabins are bigger. And not to forget the 24 hour self serve ice cream. :D

Have a great cruise.

Linda

We have sailed Carnival 3 times and Princess one time. Friends told me that once I sailed on Princess, I would be throwing rocks at Carnival. I kept waiting for the "magic" and it never happened. While the service, food and amenities were all top notch, I never saw any "over the top" things like we had experienced on Carnival( and more recently on RCCL). The waiter and helpers were there but did not seem to try to get to know us and have our "drink" waiting on us when we arrived for dinner, there was no "performance" by the dining room staff ( i know some folks think these are goofy, but we enjoy them and it seemed the staff enjoys them). We saw our room attendant maybe 3 times the whole 7 days. We were on the Caribbean Princess and it was 6 months old at the time and the cleanliness/ maintanence of the ship did not equal that we found on Empress of the Seas(this is a 16 year old ship) on 11 day cruises last year and this year. We always board a ship with no high expectations and hope we are surprised by great service/food. We were underwhelmed on Princess.:(

Molly,

The last time we were on Carnival, we requested through our TA to have a table for two on the upper level overlooking the lower floor. We got it and we were on the "rail" and it was great. We have since then requested 6-8-10 tables as we have found we love to meet and get to know other cruisers from who know where.

Judy--going slightly off-topic, but why is a table for two so important? IMHO big tables are fun!

I understand that some people enjoy this, sharing tables with strangers, but we don't. We both have to do the "small talk with strangers" daily at at our jobs, so don't want to do this on vacation. It's work!!! Hi there, where are you from, etc.

We have a GREAT time with each other and don't want to "work" at dinner! We enjoy each other's company and don't need stangers/other people to make it good. We often think that the couples that enjoy this "dining with strangers" are those that don't have much to say to each other. Married 39 years here and we prefer to be alone at dinner....We make friends on every cruise at the bars/lounges/etc., but want to dine alone because we are guaranteed good company on our very needed vacation.

Judy

We have a GREAT time with each other and don't want to "work" at dinner!

Thus the problem, if one thinks this is work :confused:

On all our cruises, it always starts off as small talk, but most of my dinner mates have become long life friends. One couple we cruised with regular afterwards, and met up with last year in Vegas. Another was his wedding in RI. Others I simply talk to all the time. And it all started over small talk

I guess we've been lucky.

I understand that some people enjoy this, sharing tables with strangers, but we don't. We both have to do the "small talk with strangers" daily at at our jobs, so don't want to do this on vacation. It's work!!! Hi there, where are you from, etc.

We have a GREAT time with each other and don't want to "work" at dinner! We enjoy each other's company and don't need stangers/other people to make it good. We often think that the couples that enjoy this "dining with strangers" are those that don't have much to say to each other. Married 39 years here and we prefer to be alone at dinner....We make friends on every cruise at the bars/lounges/etc., but want to dine alone because we are guaranteed good company on our very needed vacation.

Judy

Judy,

We will have 38 years in February and we are both retired. Maybe it's an "after work" thing. We have quite a bit to say to each other as we are constantly having to help each other through our "senior moments". I'm like MrPete in that I enjoy talking to just about anyone. On the Carnival Victory in '02, I was with a guy in the elevator and asked "how's it going?" and he said "I'll be so glad to get off of this d**n ship, ya gotta stand in line for everything." I started to remind him of airports, Walmart, church communion, sporting events, etc. but I figured he was one of those who finds fault at everything so I left him muttering to himself. Maybe we have been lucky, but we have met some awesome folks on our last three cruises when we requested larger table and it was just the two of us with "strangers".

Judy,

We will have 38 years in February and we are both retired. Maybe it's an "after work" thing. We have quite a bit to say to each other as we are constantly having to help each other through our "senior moments". I'm like MrPete in that I enjoy talking to just about anyone. On the Carnival Victory in '02, I was with a guy in the elevator and asked "how's it going?" and he said "I'll be so glad to get off of this d**n ship, ya gotta stand in line for everything." I started to remind him of airports, Walmart, church communion, sporting events, etc. but I figured he was one of those who finds fault at everything so I left him muttering to himself. Maybe we have been lucky, but we have met some awesome folks on our last three cruises when we requested larger table and it was just the two of us with "strangers".

I feel the same way, it seems a part of the adventure to us, to be seated with tablemates.

In fact if we are seated at a table for 2 in the Main dining room, I will probably request to be moved to a larger table with other couples our age, opening up that table for others that might like it.

Except for that one night at Davids, that I would prefer we be seated by ourselves.

We are looking forward to being seated with others at the main dining room. :)

Judy

I understand your reasons for wanting a table for two, but why be judgmental of those that prefer otherwise? :confused:

Oh, no!! We LOVE Princess (my last 6 cruises with my husband) and are sailing the Legend in early 2007 because of a free cruise--balcony cabin free, but we will upgrade to Cat 11.

Please, please tell me the differences to expect...I know we will have to "fight for/demand" a table for two and will adjust (reluctantly) to assigned dining times but we are ready to do the alternative dining if we can't get a table for two. What else???

We sailed Carnival in the past but LOVE Princess...please explain the differences to expect.

Thanks, Judy

How do I put this politely? The passenger mix will be different.

Go with a happy attitude and remember, some of the folks you meet are having a good time in "their" own way... :o

If I know only one thing it is this, after reading various sites about the difference in cruise lines in who is better, expectations, enjoyments and disappointments is that it is all over the place.

I have only sailed Carnival and from my opinion and tastes, it was a fantastic cruise.

It would be better to state what you enjoy and expect in cruising and I can try to answer based on my limited Carnival experience or the many other experienced members here.

--------------------------------

MrPete, ditto, our tablemates became very good friends and have BBQs planned as well as future cruises.

Archived