I've never eaten lobster!

treacle

What a great thread this has been ...full of anecdotes, whimsy, disturbing mental images, folklore, and information! :)

Here's another little tidbit of info for you, on my first boat while I was qualifying submarines, I was sitting in sonar and listening to the ocean sounds while learning the systems. We "blew" sanitaries overboard while I was in sonar (think discharging the black water tanks). As the "discharge" slowly floated down, the various biologics went crazy making all kinds of racket while feasting on their new found bounty :eek: ! The sonar techs said that the lobster, shrimp and crabs did that every time. So just imagine the underwater bugs (lobster) eating what naturally settles to the bottom of the ocean, when you eat your "delicacy" whether it's Maine lobstah or Caribbean lobster, or shrimp, or crab or oyster! LOL. Just a little anecdote for y'all.

Here's another little tidbit of info for you, on my first boat while I was qualifying submarines, I was sitting in sonar and listening to the ocean sounds while learning the systems. We "blew" sanitaries overboard while I was in sonar (think discharging the black water tanks). As the "discharge" slowly floated down, the various biologics went crazy making all kinds of racket while feasting on their new found bounty :eek: ! The sonar techs said that the lobster, shrimp and crabs did that every time. So just imagine the underwater bugs (lobster) eating what naturally settles to the bottom of the ocean, when you eat your "delicacy" whether it's Maine lobstah or Caribbean lobster, or shrimp, or crab or oyster! LOL. Just a little anecdote for y'all.

that's gross. My son always says i will never eat any food where people pee where that food lives. think about it.

.....Because wherever its been served you had to pick it from a tank. I cant stand the thought that something is alive at the time I decide to have it and then its bumped off just for me.

Should I try it though? Is it worth it!

well since I am from Maine I do have to tell you, your first experience eating lobster should be a Maine lobster :D ....you will not get good lobster on any of the cruise lines ( unless it's a line that carries Maine, Nova Scotia etc lobster )......we cant even eat them or even their shrimp....has a completely different taste than ours....

Which boat and when? USS Memphis back in the early 90s here.

I was on the Stimson at the time, but served on two other sea going boomers as well, listed in my sig. Did you know a nuke ET by the name of Jones? He was on Memphis during the 90's when they came out of the shipyards.

I was on the Stimson at the time, but served on two other sea going boomers as well, listed in my sig. Did you know a nuke ET by the name of Jones? He was on Memphis during the 90's when they came out of the shipyards.

I have sigs turned off so never saw that, cool. I was on the sub with him and vaguely remember him, but for the life of me can't put a face to the name, blonde bigger guy?

sweetpea - where in Maine are you? - Maine shrimp is the best - they are small and have wonderful flavor - I really prefer them. Yummy!!! Jan

near Jonesport........Downeast........( a little over an hour from Bar Harbor) My DH runs the fishermans co-op in Jonesport......caught, bought and cooked the same day....we have good crab meat also.......I see your from Bangor...my daughter lives there.....

sweatpea - I do know some people who live in Jonesport - I think everyone in Maine knows everyone else - I love Maine crab meat - although it is so time consuming trying to pick out the meat. (I actually like crab better than lobster) Nice to see someone that actually knows where Downeast is. I'm sure we will continue to meet up on these boards over time ... Jan

• 3 weeks later...
sweatpea - I do know some people who live in Jonesport - I think everyone in Maine knows everyone else - I love Maine crab meat - although it is so time consuming trying to pick out the meat. (I actually like crab better than lobster) Nice to see someone that actually knows where Downeast is. I'm sure we will continue to meet up on these boards over time ... Jan

;) my DH runs the fishermans Co-Op in Jonesport and we buy our crabmeat all picked from a lady down there....he's picky who he buys from for our table at home.... I know what your saying since I love crabmeat also and will take it over lobster :D .....and we cheat too with our lobster, he wholesales to Trenton Bridge and they come daily to get the lobsters so once in awhile we have them bring a lb tub of just lobster meat :p much better than a stinky kitchen,lol....you know your Downeast here, the accents are fairly strong....nice to run into someone so close !!!

Hi Jan and SweetPea,

I know exactly what you guys mean about the shrimp and crabmeat.... I love lobster but will choose either given the choice. If you ever have the chance and really want a treat try Dungeness Crabs sometime. They are huge and full of meat and much easier to get filled up on.

We moved out here from Machiasport so I know exactly where you guys are.

What I really miss out here in Oregon is Jordan hotdogs.... Why oh Why are they not listed as a Don't Miss on the food board? LOL

My brother (who lives in Hancock) sent me scallops and hotdogs for Christmas.

Kelly

Hi Jan and SweetPea,

I know exactly what you guys mean about the shrimp and crabmeat.... I love lobster but will choose either given the choice. If you ever have the chance and really want a treat try Dungeness Crabs sometime. They are huge and full of meat and much easier to get filled up on.

We moved out here from Machiasport so I know exactly where you guys are.

What I really miss out here in Oregon is Jordan hotdogs.... Why oh Why are they not listed as a Don't Miss on the food board? LOL

My brother (who lives in Hancock) sent me scallops and hotdogs for Christmas.

Kelly

;) I hear ya.....Gosh I go to Machias to get groceries and of course eat out since there's nothing in Addison or Jonesport to speak of....I will try the crabs first chance I get !!! Thanks.....the love the taste of the crabs we have here but I will NOT cook them and pick them....take all day for me to get a few pounds,lol.......as for the hot dogs I do like the natural ones Jordans put out...but guess you have to move away from here to miss them :p ........scallops and hot dogs, who could ask for more, right ? lol......

Stop, already! Dungeness Crab! Lovely! Cracked, slightly chilled served with lots of lemon, light garlic butter! It is a heavenly treat and tastes completely different then our wonderful Blue Claws we get here in Jersey. I love 'em!:D

While we are collectively drooling, how about King Crab legs and claws.... To die for! Same treatment.....:)

Stop, already! Dungeness Crab! Lovely! Cracked, slightly chilled served with lots of lemon, light garlic butter! It is a heavenly treat and tastes completely different then our wonderful Blue Claws we get here in Jersey. I love 'em!:D

While we are collectively drooling, how about King Crab legs and claws.... To die for! Same treatment.....:)

:D guess we can alll drool together :p LOVE seafood....atlantic anyways,lol.......

Okay, living in Maine I had to respond to this. Though I am not a huge lobstah eatah, I still enjoy them once in a while. I see lobster traps (empty of course) in yards and being hauled in trucks all the time. Anyway, my point is that the claw meet is the most tender and sweetest part of a Maine lobster. Cracking open a lobster by the shore is major part of the experience of eating one. A little bit of history here. When the first Europeans landed here, lobsters were so plentiful that they were considered trash food and fed to the servants.

Not only that, but they were fed regulary to slaves and slaves also demanded that it be put into writing that they could only be fed them 3 times a week. I believe it was 3 times anyway. :D

I guess that's why the Native Americans used it as fertilizer. You are what you eat, right? :D

:D guess we can alll drool together :p LOVE seafood....atlantic anyways,lol.......

I'm with you all in the drooling. I do love those north Pacific Snow Crab and Kind Crab, though. Being on the east side of the country, I've had lots of Blue Crab, but I've yet to try a Dungeness Crab. Martha Stewart claims they are the best. :confused:

One taste and I'll tell you exactly which type it is.:D

Boy, is that the truth. Maine lobsters jucey, succulent,slightly sweet. And, o the fun of picking that body apart. I usually order the lobster on the ship, but it in no way resembles Mayne lobster.

Shirl

I'm with you all in the drooling. I do love those north Pacific Snow Crab and Kind Crab, though. Being on the east side of the country, I've had lots of Blue Crab, but I've yet to try a Dungeness Crab. Martha Stewart claims they are the best. :confused:

And the best part of them is that you get soooo much more meat than in east coast crabs. Less work, more eating :)

Being from the East Coast I almost made the mistake of disrearding the bodies which are jam packed full of meat. DH and DS hate all seafood. I love it when a girlfriend of mine (who is very fussy on her crab) comes to visit with a cooler full of very fresh live crabs right from the dock. Not only do we get a nice girl's day cause the smell of crab drive the boys out but we don't even have to share :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
.....Because wherever its been served you had to pick it from a tank. I cant stand the thought that something is alive at the time I decide to have it and then its bumped off just for me.

That's cute! Funny thing is I kinda feel the same way! Friend of mine cooks them at home all the time and he tells me they "squeak" when you first put them in boiling water! Yuck! I've had them a couple times and really like them but be warned! If you get a whole one find out how to eat it first. Happened to me the first time. I'm sitting there looking at this thing with no idea where to start.

Archived