Preface to a Cruise

Moondance

Hello to all you first-time cruisers like myself and to all the more experienced cruisers as well. I am Astronomer’s wife. Some of you have probably read, “Prelude to a Cruise”, that he wrote quite a while back. He started planning for our trip 352 days before our trip. He often comments to me that instant gratification takes too long; so waiting for this trip has been like watching a five year old waiting to see what Santa will bring. Nearly every day he would send a photo of the ship or print me something new to read.

Oddly enough in our marriage he has been the one to plan for long-term goals, such as retirement. Where as, I am the one worrying about what to plan for dinner tonight or how much to pay on the bills this month. Together we make a great pair. In the case of planning for a trip it has worked out well. He reminded me of all the plans we had to have ready early (passports, finances, excursions, and what we might need to buy before the trip). I have to give him credit… he calmly had it all under control. I was the one who was frantic taking care of daily business like helping our adult children move, working overtime to give us some extra spending money and making sure we both had clean underwear tomorrow. Now that the trip is only a week out, he is getting nervous and that’s when I kick into high gear. With school out for the summer and having driven my daughter all the way out to St. Louis to live, I finally have the time to prepare.

Of course, this means starting with SHOPPING! Now, I’m not one of your typical shoppers. Due to past lower back problems I learned the fine art of internet shopping. I found many clothing items from the GAP, JC Penny’s and even e-bay. Then those lovely packages show up right on your doorstep (sometimes the very next day). Of course, the finer clothes had to be tried on. I actually don’t mind looking for dresses or capris but I dread the old bathing suit challenge. Back when we were married in 1990 I had a trim hard-body from teaching aerobics and dance but at the age of 50 this is no treat. There I stood in the Macy’s closet of a dressing room, just me (and way too many mirrors!) Argghh…in March no less, trying to pull spandex over the whale-belly white legs I inherited from my Swedish mother. There I stood, alone with those nasty mirrors and too much cellulite. :eek: Somehow the all-you-can-eat part of the cruise lost some of its glow. So I purchased the ever popular “bathing suit cover-up”. We made a great trip to Target and found lots of travel-sized goodies so we wouldn’t take up too much suitcase space. After much shuffling around of things to bring, we realized that we really need a new suitcase. Especially since we have both been traveling a lot lately and I have a new job that will be sending me off to many places, including Baltimore this summer.

All the advice has been wonderful to hear, even if we don’t take all of it. We both love meeting new people and trying new things so we are both anxiously awaiting next Sunday. I am a writer by hobby. One of my favorite parts of travel include writing tidbits about trips that I later use in poetry, articles, essays, and like all hopeful writers… that great American novel we all think we have in us.

By the end of this week, the mail will be gathered, the lawns and house plants watered, the bills paid, the credit companies notified (security is big these days and friends went all the way to Hawaii and were denied credit because of suspicious activity), and all the children and parents notified that we will be away from keyboard, phones, and all the hassles of daily life!

Welcome to the boards Moondance! :rolleyes:

To get the most enjoyment from your cruise, your husband is the key. Just do anything he says, and do your level best to make sure he has a good time and you should have a great cruise, remember that he is always right and is basically infallible. Just wait on him hand and foot, agree with everything he says. ;)

( :p , like that is going to happen )

I keep telling her, all she has to do is go up to the funnel deck to lay out in the sun, and remove her top and I guarantee no one will look at any other parts!... so simple…. :eek:

You gotta worry when your wife starts posting on the boards where you hang out.

Seriously though, I don’t see how this cruise can miss, the people I have meet on these boards have been so helpful, I really owe everyone here a huge THANK YOU!

6 more days….. so close now.

If it wasn’t for Moondance getting everything ready I would be a basket case.

What a delightful couple! I wish I was sailing with you two!

Have a great time and be sure to put that writing gene to use by giving us a review when you return.

This advice is especially good, just change "cruise" to "marriage":

To get the most enjoyment from your cruise, your husband is the key. Just do anything he says, and do your level best to make sure he has a good time and you should have a great cruise, remember that he is always right and is basically infallible. Just wait on him hand and foot, agree with everything he says.

(Oh...and change "husband" to "wife" and "he" to "she"...) :p

Thank you Stircrazy... we are like little kids again waiting for this......

Suitcases spread all over the house... lists of stuff.... and we are just grinning from ear to ear....

There is nothing quite like being off on an adventure with my wife, I wouldn’t miss this for the world. :D

I just know you two will have a wonderful trip!! You two are perfect for each other and I think you will become addicted to cruising. :D I wish you were sailing with us on the Conquest on July 2. Be sure to post and let us know how it went!! Happy sailing!

You two will have the time of your life. Happy sailings.

Moondance don't worry about the bathing suit or any of your wardrobe for that matter. I had the same feelings as you. My cousin said just wait and see what they wear you will look fabulous. She was right. I was very comfortable with my choices and from the words of my father you are never overdressed only sharper looking than others.:D

You sound like a wonderful couple who just adore each others company and will have a wonderful time. We look forward to hearing your review.:)

Thanks for the encouragement, especially the bathing suit thing. I discovered a good fake tan that makes life and my legs more bearable.:p

I can hardly stand going to work today (even though its only two hours). My mind is focused exclusively on leaving town. the two tips I've liked the most so far are... call your credit card company, and bring a journal to write in. At the age of 50 its just too easy to forget things. Photos are great and remind you of what you saw but journals can help you remember names (which I often forget) and funny stories you'd love to remember.:rolleyes:

You two must be a real hoot. Have fun...go and make wonderful memories that you will be able to enjoy for the rest of your lives. Happy cruising to you both. :)

Thanks Greeneyes.... As far as being a hoot goes, technically I believe I would be the hootee and she the hooter :cool:

. I dread the old bathing suit challenge. There I stood in the Macy’s closet of a dressing room, just me (and way too many mirrors!) Argghh…in March no less, trying to pull spandex over the whale-belly white legs I inherited from my Swedish mother. There I stood, alone with those nasty mirrors and too much cellulite. :eek:

Moondance,

Don't fret about the bathing suit at all. I went crazy before I went on my cruise in May 06 trying to find just the right one because I not only have very pale legs but because I am quite heavy. Well to make a long story short as another poster said here I had way too many things to do that I never even got to wear that just right bathing suit. Also I saw no one on the ship when I did make it to the pool area with a PERFECT body. Go on your cruise & you 2 kids at heart have a great cruise ! :)

Welcome to the boards Moondance!

I guess I'll have to stop flirting with your husband now. :( I can't wait to hear about your trip - don't worry about "reviewing" the cruise. Just tell us all about it.

I have to agree with your DH about the F-deck. There is no discrimination up there - all shapes, sizes and ages welcome. Just bring some heavy-duty sunscreen! :eek:

Happy sailing. I'm anticipating your cruise as much as my own!!

Moondance (and Astronomer) I hope you have a wonderful cruise. DH & I went on our first cruise last year. It is a great way to relax and enjoy yourselves.

A fake tan is the best way to go, moondance! It makes it easier for you to bare the parts that don't see enough sun (belly, thighs, ya know!).

Astronomer, you and my DH sound like you are exactly alike. He was hooked on cruising when we walked into the atrium onboard the Inspiration! He, now, can't wait for this fall's cruise. I'm just waiting for him to start posting on here:rolleyes: .

Moondance...welcome to the boards...have a great cruise and relax once you get on board the ship. You will have a great time. Don't worry about the bathing suit...you will see every shape and size on board and no one really worries about what other people look like...:D .

Astronomer...enjoy your time with your wife...she sounds like a gem.

Now that I've had a chance to meet some of you, I'd really like to know what your favorite things to do on a cruise are. Being new at this I wouldn't want to miss any of the "don't miss" things. By the way, my hooters are what give Astronomer a reason to be the hootee. He just can't stop laughing!!:p

She is, I wouldnt trade her for a truck load of gold.

Hey Timmy's Mom, I think there is about zero chance of Moondance actually bearing anything on the F-Deck, but that wont keep me from teasing her about it :D

I will post part 3 of "Prelude" on Thursday, I think I will be too busy on Friday to do anything other than pack and run around picking up stuff we missed, and we start our drive to Long Beach Saturday morning. :)

352 days.... down to 6

Woo hoo!

remonortsA

Wow you two sound a lot like us, I hope 15 years from now we are in as much love as you are. I am the planner, whereas my DH is just well I am not sure. He is the one who throws his stuff in a suitcase on our way to the airport and has everything he needs - me I plan and still forget!! I can't believe you are just 6 days away - WOW time flies... I remember reading the posts that seemed like forever again.

Enjoy and report back - the two of you togther, how can you go wrong!

Archived