Question about Anchorage hotels/motels/inns

curiousl8y

Hi Folks,

I've read so often that hotels in Anchorage are out of sight price-wise during the summer in Anchorage.

We plan on spending 1 nite there, leaving for Denali for 2 nites, then back to Anchorage for 2 nites before meeting our cruise ship, next August.

I've found some interesting prices online, but you can't always trust what you read. These prices seem almost too good to be true, so I was wondering if people who actually live in Anchorage or are familiar with it can tell me about them. Are they in "bad" areas, or are they decent economy places?

Thanks!

Linda

Black Angus Inn $99.

1430 Gambell Street Anchorage, Alaska 99501

ARCTIC INN MOTEL $55-65

842 W Int'l Airport Rd.

Anchorage, AK 99518-1000

Days Inn Downtown $99-105

321 East 5th Avenue

5th Ave & Cordova Street

Anchorage , Alaska 99501

QUPQUGIAQ INN & HUZANITY CAFé $70-80

640 West 36th Avenue,

Anchorage, Alaska 99503

These are in all different areas. I've stayed at the Days Inn, expect nothing more than a basic motel. This is the most convenient location for downtown activities.

As only a suggestion, with your short time, I would not be spending 2 nights in Anchorage. You may want to read up and consider Talkeetna for a night, and/or Seward for a night. If you sail out of Seward this is highly recommended. If sailing out of Whittier- there are direct shuttle options to Whittier, eliminating back tracking and making better use of time. Enjoy the endless touring opportunities. Especially outside of Anchorage.

I was just in Anchorage 2 weeks ago, after our cruise. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Creekside and it was wonderful. The staff was GREAT and very knowlegable. The non-smoking room with 2 queen beds ran us $146 per night with my AAA card. I have also read many posts on lots of websites on how the cheaper hotels are not the greatest to stay in. I would for sure not recommend the Capt. Cook hotel. We had a very bad experience with them. I have put in a complaint. While the hotel may be very nice, they were very snobby and without knowing my finances, the lady told me that "perhaps this isn't the hotel you would want to stay in, it is a bit pricey, you know. Our rooms run $360 per night." I could have stayed there but chose not to after that insult!!! There is a creek right behind the Comfort Inn where we went and watched lots of people fish for Salmon for the slammin salmon derby. The ULU knife factory is right next door, and the downtown Saturday outdoor market is right up the hill. We couldn't get a car due to everything being booked (My boyfriend said we would just do it when we got there, wouldn't listen to me) so had to use an expensive shuttle to Talkeetna. I had read about the cute little town online and had wanted to see it, plus it is the closest you can get to Mt. McKinley without actually going into Denali. I did not know that Talkeetna is the town that Northern Exposure was modeled after. Depends on your taste though, Mark thought it was pretty much a waste of the 2 1/2 hour drive to see, it is so small. I love old little towns, so it was great. If you go, don't miss the hidden treasure we found. Walking around, we happened upon a trail that took us down to a remote little creek (lake) where people were fishing and a GREAT view of the Mt. McKinley mountain range. nice relaxing place to just sit on a log or a big rock. Very peaceful. If you like small old towns, try to stay at the Talkeetna cabins. They are right in town and by the aforementioned lake.

These are in all different areas. I've stayed at the Days Inn, expect nothing more than a basic motel. This is the most convenient location for downtown activities.

As only a suggestion, with your short time, I would not be spending 2 nights in Anchorage. You may want to read up and consider Talkeetna for a night, and/or Seward for a night. If you sail out of Seward this is highly recommended. If sailing out of Whittier- there are direct shuttle options to Whittier, eliminating back tracking and making better use of time. Enjoy the endless touring opportunities. Especially outside of Anchorage.

Thanks! Basic, clean, safe is all I'm asking for. Oh and a place to eat. :)

We're staying in Talkeetna 1 nite, Denali 1 nite, then back to Anchorage. Can't really avoid 2 nites in Anchorage since our big trip is a 10 hour day trip to Brooks Falls for bear viewing.

Linda

Last week, we just stayed one night at the Extended Stay, America. $131.00 total for 3. Suite room, kitchenette, accommodations are either new or VERY newly refurbished (I think newly refurbished, as I booked the hotel last October). Nice and clean, close to Denny's for breakfast and close to the mall for shopping and liquor.

Do NOT stay at the Alaska Longhouse (which usually shows up as one of the cheaper hotels in a search). Transient hotel, lots of traffic in the parking lot. Small rooms, cruddy breakfast.

Arctic Inn by the airport is a dump. We had booked there 3-4 years ago. I walked in and walked back out. Another transient hotel.

Whatever one you decide on, book VERY early (like October/November). The prices only go up. I just looked-the same room for 3 people this year in August is $174.00 + tax.

Take Budget Queen's advice. One night in Anchorage, the next day exploring and driving to Denali. Back to Anchorage for 2 nights-no. Not THAT much to see and do. Go to Talkeetna or Seward for a better time.

Have you thought about a Bed & Breakfast? If we were not using hotel points to get free rooms we would have done the B&B thing - but it isn't for everyone. :)

The two or three times a year I overnight in Anchorage due to early morning flights, I make a point of staying at the Lake Hood Inn (www.lakehoodinn.com). Clean, quiet and close to the airport.

AKMack

"As only a suggestion, with your short time, I would not be spending 2 nights in Anchorage. You may want to read up and consider Talkeetna for a night, and/or Seward for a night. If you sail out of Seward this is highly recommended. If sailing out of Whittier- there are direct shuttle options to Whittier, eliminating back tracking and making better use of time. Enjoy the endless touring opportunities. Especially outside of Anchorage."

Budget Queen

Do you mean there are 'direct shuttles' from Seward to Whittier?

"As only a suggestion, with your short time, I would not be spending 2 nights in Anchorage. You may want to read up and consider Talkeetna for a night, and/or Seward for a night. If you sail out of Seward this is highly recommended. If sailing out of Whittier- there are direct shuttle options to Whittier, eliminating back tracking and making better use of time. Enjoy the endless touring opportunities. Especially outside of Anchorage."

Budget Queen

Do you mean there are 'direct shuttles' from Seward to Whittier?

Yes- here is one option- http://home.gci.net/~twodogs/ other listings- http://www.sewardak.org

Archived