Any accountants here?

ChuckLL

In my profession I have to biannually have a certain amount of continuing education. I recieved a mailing today that offered continuing education at sea. One price includes the seminars and cruise cost (Princess CL). How much of that cost, if any, would be tax deductble?

In my profession I have to biannually have a certain amount of continuing education. I recieved a mailing today that offered continuing education at sea. One price includes the seminars and cruise cost (Princess CL). How much of that cost, if any, would be tax deductble?

I went on a writers cruise last March ... and I have a small publishing company. We were told that NONE of the cruise was tax deductible because it visited foreign ports. Since the taxes don't have to be filed until next year, I haven't really pursued this. But I plan to take it up with the IRS because it sounds like a load of crap to me. The conference hosts should be able to provide us with a breakdown of writers conference fees as opposed to cruise expenses, and logic says that at least the conference fees should be tax deductible.

Unfortunately, though, I doubt very much that the entire cruise will be tax deductible for you ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well I asked my husband and he said he will look into more specific details but he did say there's a lot of variables that go into it to determine if it is tax deductible. He also mentioned that a foreign trip (which a cruise would be considered as) generally is not tax deductible or not as much as a trip within the US. He did say there are specific guidelines regarding a cruise being tax deductible and that is what he was going to look into tomorrow. Another thing that come into play is length of time you are attending class each day while on the cruise (or any course for that matter). Anyway, sorry I cant help more tonight....stay tuned...I'll try to give you more info tomorrow.

Jenny

Well I asked my husband and he said he will look into more specific details but he did say there's a lot of variables that go into it to determine if it is tax deductible. He also mentioned that a foreign trip (which a cruise would be considered as) generally is not tax deductible or not as much as a trip within the US. He did say there are specific guidelines regarding a cruise being tax deductible and that is what he was going to look into tomorrow. Another thing that come into play is length of time you are attending class each day while on the cruise (or any course for that matter). Anyway, sorry I cant help more tonight....stay tuned...I'll try to give you more info tomorrow.

Jenny

You are helping plenty Jenny and I appreciate it.

My continuing ed is usually anywhere from $100 to $300 a pop (depending on the provider), if I could atleast deduct somewhere in the $300 range with this cruise deal it would be a very good deal.

My husband is a cpa too and I will ask him later but I am almost sure you should be able to deduct the seminar portion of the cruise which is almost always priced separately. We get those brochure all the time and I would love to go but its always when the kids are in school so for now it doesn't work. I always see the classes listed separately and the fees for the different programs. That has to be deductible. I

Archived