Diamond vs. Sapphire

lizard7

Ok I know these ships are twins, but is one newer than the other or what? I noticed they had different prices for a cruise I am trying to book to Alaska in 2007 and wanted to know why.....

I need a weekend departure and they both depart on Saturday. I was hoping to have 2 different style ships to choose from....

Are there any differences between the ships to make one better than the other?

Sometimes Southbound ships are more expensive. There is more of a demand for these sailings because many people prefer to do their cruise tour first and then get on a ship.

The Diamond is the older of the two but I doubt you would notice any difference between the two.

It depends on what you mean by "newer." The ship that currently bears the name Sapphire originally was built to be the Diamond, but she caught on fire and her sister ship, that was supposed to be second and bear the name Sapphire, was named the Diamond. So the hull of the ship now named Sapphire actually is older than that of the ship that became the Diamond, but the Diamond was the first of the two to be completed and to sail.

They both are virtually identical, and began sailing in 2004. We were on the Inaugural cruise of the Diamond and have since been on the Sapphire twice.

I too have been on both the Diamond and the Sapphire. I am a bit of a meticulous person and really looked for differences between the two, especially since our 2 cruises were only 7 months apart. I believe for 95-99% of the ships, they are the Same. The art on the landings is arranged differently, although some of it is by the same artist and/or the same picture/drawing. Also, and of course this is a given, the "Wall of Fame" placques from the first visits to the various ports are different.

Sheri

We were on the Sapphire roughly 7 months before we were on the Diamond. The only difference we noticed was the artwork on the stair landings. A previous thread mentioned something different in the atrium, but also something minor and related to decorations.

I was hoping to find out if the International Dining Room had the same pictures, but a) I wasn't paying that much attention when I was on the Sapphire, since I didn't know I'd be on the Diamond so soon, and b) we never got into the same part of the dining room.

We very much enjoyed both cruises.

abby

It depends on what you mean by "newer." The ship that currently bears the name Sapphire originally was built to be the Diamond, but she caught on fire and her sister ship, that was supposed to be second and bear the name Sapphire, was named the Diamond. So the hull of the ship now named Sapphire actually is older than that of the ship that became the Diamond, but the Diamond was the first of the two to be completed and to sail.

They both are virtually identical, and began sailing in 2004.

Thanks a lot, that is actually very interesting to know! Very precise!

We were on the Diamond in OZ and it is my favourite Princess ship, the deck space is wonderful, we especially loved the fact that on anytime dining we could always get a table for two if we wanted. Also the CD was fantastic, just tried the new Century and can't wait to get back to Princess in November.

To see the Diamond in Sydney harbour is just amazing, it was just the best to sail on her.

Hello out there C C Members,

I have a question concerning the Sapphire Princess. Looking into booking a group to Alaska on her but would appreciate knowing about the cabin sizes. An outside stateroom and one with a balcony (lower price balcony) Meaning-no suites!

I appreciate your responses in advance, and Happy Sailing.:)

I have a question concerning the Sapphire Princess. Looking into booking a group to Alaska on her but would appreciate knowing about the cabin sizes. An outside stateroom and one with a balcony (lower price balcony) Meaning-no suites!

you might get better responses if you start your own thread with the title "Sapphire Cabin sizes" or something......

Sapphire and Diamond are twins, both beautiful ships. Redesigned and slighly larger than the Golden/Grand ships but same # of passengers. If you're looking at the Alaska, go for price if you're choosing between the 2. Cant imagine there is any significant difference in itinerary. There may be better prices on one over the other, as another person posted Southbound may or may not be cheaper. Havent been on the Star but I think it is twin to the Golden.

Go to this site: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.htm and click on Princess, you will be able to see general layouts and sizes.

On our Diamond's 09/2004 coastal cruise, the four theme restaurants (for personal choice dining) offer unique menu each besides the traditional dining menu. Is this the practice to both ships today?

Are you asking to compare cabin sizes between an outside without a balcony compared to one with a balcony?

The cabin sizes are similar, but of course the balcony gives you significantly more usable space. And in Alaska you will NEED a balcony. Do not try to cheap out and skip it, you will regret it!

I was on the Star last year and loved it. On the Diamond in March. Are the ships exactly the same? I hope there are some differences.. ....

They are not identical the way Diamond and Sapphire are. I think they have almost all of the same public areas except the lounges may carry different names and interior layouts: for example, Club Fusion on the Diamond (all the way aft) is a nightclub, and (I think it's) the Vista Lounge on Star in the same location is more of a showroom with rows of seats. Skywalker's is a different layout as well. We were on the Star in 2002, so my memory of her is a little fuzzy. The cabin layouts are very similar, e.g. the minisuites on Dolphin Deck are fully exposed.

And I think Skywalker's on Diamond looks better from the pier - it doesn't have that "shopping cart" look to it that the Star does. The pool & bar layout up there may be different, too, I just can't quite remember. :confused:

The Sapphire started regular cruises in June 2004, the Diamond in April or May, 2004.

As for which one should you go on for an Alaskan cruise, you should consider if you want to do an one=way or a round-trip. Back in 2004, they both did the RTs out of Seattle. We just happened to select the Sapphire.

If you want to also take a cruise tour, then you should take the one-way. If you don't and you want to save on your airfare, then consider the RT.

The Grand, Golden, and Star are sister ships

Island and Coral are sisters

The Sapphire and Diamond are sisters

Caribbean and Crown are sisters

Among sister ships you will see few differences. Sometimes there is an improvement here and there. You will see many similarities among all the Princess ships, but the newer the ship the more refined it will be. For instance, when the Grand came out, it had a pillar in the lounge area that blocked the view for a lot of people. With the Star and Golden, they figured out how to take that out. Eventually, it was removed from the Grand.

By the time they got to the Sapphire, they had completely re-thought the lounge issue and made very significant changes to the whole area.

Have sailed twice on the Sapphire and it is a great ship, one of my favorites. I am sure you will enjoy it or the Diamond.

• 3 weeks later...
The Sapphire started regular cruises in June 2004' date=' the Diamond in April or May, 2004.

As for which one should you go on for an Alaskan cruise, you should consider if you want to do an one=way or a round-trip. Back in 2004, they both did the RTs out of Seattle. We just happened to select the Sapphire.

If you want to also take a cruise tour, then you should take the one-way. If you don't and you want to save on your airfare, then consider the RT.[/quote']

In 2007 when the OP is booking for they are both doing RT's also. How did you like the sapphire? I am booked on her for 6/16/07.

Bill

In 2007 when the OP is booking for they are both doing RT's also. How did you like the sapphire? I am booked on her for 6/16/07.

Bill

I thought the Sapphire and Diamond are both doing one ways in summer 2007.

I was on the Sapphhire in May and it was fine.

I thought the Sapphire and Diamond are both doing one ways in summer 2007.

I was on the Sapphhire in May and it was fine.

Holy Cow Coral you are absolutely right! I'm booked on the Sapphire and still messed up. Thanks for setting the record straight and I apologize for my misleading post.:) My mind knew what I meant but m y fingers didn't.:D

Bill

Archived