How is working on the World?

jp2001

The World is over four years old and over half the crew has been working on the ship for that length of time. That will tell you how working on the ship is. The ship is over 40,000 tons. The average load is about 150 passengers with about 250 crew. Most of the passengers own the ship, so they visit often. So you get to know them. It is not like a cruise ship that changes passengers every week. Most of the owners are on for over 3 months. You also visit different ports every week. It is not like a cruise ship that goes around in circles til you get crazy.

Thank you very much for your input Edxx,

It's good to know that most staff and crew member are there from the beggining, it shows how much they like their job.

The fact that the ship is sailing around the World is very unique and would make it a fantastic experience and it is why I would quit a very good job I have here for a cruise ship (a condo residence at sea in this case) job. I wouldn't do it for another cruiseline, I wish I had when I was younger but not at this point in my life.

Working for limited number of people - the resident owners that you start to know well after a while and also with new people that are onboard for their special vacation - is probably the best too.

I am a hard worker who loves to talk about cruises, travels, etc. and what makes me happy is when I exceed other people expectations. I play the travel agent very often for family member or friends, I don't count my time, all I want is to find the perfect vacation for them and my reward is when they come back with a smile, saying the vacation was better than they had dreamt of. I KNOW I would be an asset for a ship as the World, they would fulfill my dream of travelling the world and I would give them the best from me in reward.

My English is not perfect though, I hope it's good enough for them. My French is excellent and I also love to learn new languages (I have notions of Spanish that I could improve very fast if I get the job and I'm sure I can pick up some words of German, Italian or other language fast too).

I trully hope I hear from their Human Resources Department in regards to the job. They would make me so happy and I am sure they would never regret taking the time to contact me.

I cross my fingers and pray!

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked on "The World" for a year, I can tell you that it is BY FAR the best ship to work on out there. The crew is extremely tight, the pay is MUCH better than anywhere else, and the run just plain kicks butt. No other ship even comes close. What other ship parks in Manhattan for 5 days (and nights)? None...The World is unique.

The residents are, for the most part, wonderful people and you really do get to know them well. It's not a cruise ship...it's a floating community. There are challenges working in such a small environment, but compared to the big ships out there, it can't be beat.

If you want to know more, visit Cruise Journals . com (no spaces) and you can see photos and posts about life onboard.

Thank you very much for your input Edxx,

It's good to know that most staff and crew member are there from the beggining, it shows how much they like their job.

The fact that the ship is sailing around the World is very unique and would make it a fantastic experience and it is why I would quit a very good job I have here for a cruise ship (a condo residence at sea in this case) job. I wouldn't do it for another cruiseline, I wish I had when I was younger but not at this point in my life.

Working for limited number of people - the resident owners that you start to know well after a while and also with new people that are onboard for their special vacation - is probably the best too.

I am a hard worker who loves to talk about cruises, travels, etc. and what makes me happy is when I exceed other people expectations. I play the travel agent very often for family member or friends, I don't count my time, all I want is to find the perfect vacation for them and my reward is when they come back with a smile, saying the vacation was better than they had dreamt of. I KNOW I would be an asset for a ship as the World, they would fulfill my dream of travelling the world and I would give them the best from me in reward.

My English is not perfect though, I hope it's good enough for them. My French is excellent and I also love to learn new languages (I have notions of Spanish that I could improve very fast if I get the job and I'm sure I can pick up some words of German, Italian or other language fast too).

I trully hope I hear from their Human Resources Department in regards to the job. They would make me so happy and I am sure they would never regret taking the time to contact me.

I cross my fingers and pray!

I See that you work on The World, which is due here [Tauranga NZ] in October. Do the crew have any idea of the many things they could enjoy while here in port. There is a lot of options so if you have any questions i will be pleased to help with advice and info. Regards Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian,

In fact, I don't work on the World but I applied on a job. The closing date for the job application is August 9th, I hope I get an answer shortly after that date. If I get the job, I will ask you more info about your city.

Thank you very much, your help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

I got a job on the World, and am looking forward to visiting NZ. What's good to see there?

sam

I See that you work on The World, which is due here [Tauranga NZ] in October. Do the crew have any idea of the many things they could enjoy while here in port. There is a lot of options so if you have any questions i will be pleased to help with advice and info. Regards Ian

Hi Ian,

I got a job on the World, and am looking forward to visiting NZ. What's good to see there?

sam

Thats great, i bet there will be a lot of envious people reading this thread, what will your duties be. The ship gets here around 6pm on the 23rd Oct and does not leave until the 24th again at 6pm. We have just been communicating with the agent who deals with all the shore excursions as they are interesrted in our fleet of Rolls Royce and Daimlers for the obviously upmarket passengers. Will you get much time off. A lot of the passengers want to visit Rotorua which is about an hours drive but theres lots of other stuff to do as well. let me know waht you are interested in and i can then be more specific. Regards Ian.

Hello Ian,

In fact, I don't work on the World but I applied on a job. The closing date for the job application is August 9th, I hope I get an answer shortly after that date. If I get the job, I will ask you more info about your city.

Thank you very much, your help is appreciated.

Did you get lucky with your job application ? Regards ian.

Hi Ian,

sam

Hi Sam,

I would be interested to have some details about working on The World. I would trully appreciate if you could e-mail me at jplamondon2001@hotmail.com. Please put ''cruise critic'' or ''The World'' in the title to make sure I see your e-mail (hotmail gets so many junkmail, I don't want to delete your e-mail by mistake).

Thank you in advance!

JP

Did you get lucky with your job application ? Regards ian.

No, I didn't hear from them but I sent an application for another job that is more related to what I do here in Quebec, Canada (the job was not listed when I applied for the first time).

I hope they call me, I know they wouldn't regret it.

Hi Ian, I'll be the Editor onboard (have not got onboard yet though).

I guess I'm interested in what you can do on the night of the 23rd.

During the day, it's usually work. Just want to see Tauranga - not Rotorua (been there before).

Cheers,

Sam

Thats great, i bet there will be a lot of envious people reading this thread, what will your duties be. The ship gets here around 6pm on the 23rd Oct and does not leave until the 24th again at 6pm. We have just been communicating with the agent who deals with all the shore excursions as they are interesrted in our fleet of Rolls Royce and Daimlers for the obviously upmarket passengers. Will you get much time off. A lot of the passengers want to visit Rotorua which is about an hours drive but theres lots of other stuff to do as well. let me know waht you are interested in and i can then be more specific. Regards Ian.

During the day, it's usually work. Just want to see Tauranga - not Rotorua (been there before).

Cheers,

Sam

Hi, Did know cruise ships had editors, i assume thats for some sort of ships newspaper?

For something to do in the evening, you can explore the down town pubs and clubs if thats your thing. Theres a great night time Maori Village visit to Tamaki in Rotorua. This is a recrteated maori village set in the forest where you can experience how they lived many years ago, followed by a cultural performance [dancing and singing etc] and then a hangi meal [cooked in the the ground, hot earth ovens]. Its a bus ride from Taurang but for a small group we could arrange a trip if you were interested and the ships ETA was suitable. Let me know if you want some more info. If you can post an email address i can be more spoecific. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Cheers,

Sam

Wow, Editor! That is a nice job! Congratulations.

What type of experience do you have? Many, many years or already editor for a well-known newspaper/magazine/other?

• 2 years later...

Archived