Tahiti September 3 on the Windstar

xenon

My husband and I will be taking our first Windstar cruise on our first visit to Tahiti. Anyone else going along? Now that it is July 1st--we're beginning to get excited! Having cruised on the big ships, I need reassurance that dress up clothes are not needed. So, who's going--and how do we dress for dinner?:)

Xenon,

Sounds like you and your husband are in the same situation as me and my husband. We, too, will be first time Windstar travelers on the Sept 3rd sailing. We cannot wait!

From the posts I've read, it seems like it is not a "dress up" dinner type cruise, more so, very relaxing.

Cindy

You lucky people, you get to cruise to Tahiti soon on the Wind Star and you met up with fellow cruisers. You are going to love it.

As for dinner dress, no formal nights at all. I think some women wore dresses, but I didn't and didn't feel out of place. I wore slacks with nice blouses or capris. Men wore khakis and polo shirts, some wore button-down shirts. Dinner is an elegant couple of hour experience each night. No rushing you out for the next seating. Dining room (at least when I was on the ship) ran a little cold in temperature, so bring a sweater if you get cold in air-conditioned rooms.

Jackie

I am so jealous. We went 1/03 and loved every minute of the experience. I am a typical clothes horse. I love to dress up although my husband does not. I brought summer dresses, flowing skirts with tank tops that I dressed up with a nice piece of jewelry or earrings. Comfortable sandals and capris filled in nicely. Bring that sweater for the dining room. Each dinner was about 2-3 hours filled with comradery and lovely conversation with new friends. Casual, casual. Daytime wear bath suit every day, all day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I agree with the above posts, but thought I'd add an update on the Dining Room temps. We returned on May 14th, and during our cruise the dining room was very warm. We were told by some of the staff that they were having air conditioning problems that will not be addressed until they go into dry dock in Costa Rica. So, you may not need that sweater!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you CindyMac, jsiegel,PhylSam and Kaysie for your help--but no one else has responded and I wonder if the four of us are going to have the Windstar all to ourselves? Well-we'll make the most of it! Seriously, I hope to hear from others, and I'd love any new updated info from those just returning from the Windstar in Tahiti. Is the dining room still warm? Any suggestions on the:) and:mad: of the excursions offered? How were the connections and wait times at the various air terminals along the way? Any suggestions on how to kill time waiting to board the ship or waiting in Tahiti to board the plane on our return?

Feel free to add any advice we might need!

Thank you CindyMac, jsiegel,PhylSam and Kaysie for your help--but no one else has responded and I wonder if the four of us are going to have the Windstar all to ourselves? Well-we'll make the most of it! Seriously, I hope to hear from others, and I'd love any new updated info from those just returning from the Windstar in Tahiti. Is the dining room still warm? Any suggestions on the:) and:mad: of the excursions offered? How were the connections and wait times at the various air terminals along the way? Any suggestions on how to kill time waiting to board the ship or waiting in Tahiti to board the plane on our return?

We heard that the Shark's breakfast in Bora Bora was the excursion to go on. We missed out because my signifcant other couldn't decide until the decision was made for us by being sold out. We went on the motu picnic and ray feeding on Moorea. Other than seeing the stingrays, which was really cool, the rest of the excursion was a waste of time and money. Also did Michael Poole's Dolphin adventure in Moorea. We didn't see any dolphins, but he's a very knowledgable and gracious host and he pointed out some very interesting things about the island as we were searching for dolphins. The morning excursion on our day did see a large group of dolphins.

Did you do your air through Windstar or are you going on your own to the airport post cruise? Windstar gets you to the airport early (kind of needed for the multiple security checkpoints) and the airport is hot and humid and crowded. On top of that, our flight leaving was delayed two hours and on top of that I had caught a really bad cold the last day of our cruise, so going home was really miserable. The Marche in Papeete was closed the day we left because of New Year's, so we couldn't do anything in town. Your experience should be much better.

Jackie

We returned from the Wind Star on July 3. The dining room air conditioning has been repaired, and a light sweater is now welcome.

Don't worry about being alone. Our cruise was also seemingly empty. Aboard we found out that Wind Star offered the remaining cabins to Travel Agents at a reduced price...it was like a convention for them.

Pincus, will you be posting a report about your trip? We're going in November, really looking forward to it -- and reading any and everything about it is my latest addiction! :D

I'd love to get an update on what really happens on the last day -- more about what time we have to disembark, are day rooms provided, what about luggage, and getting to the airport. Thanks for any insights!

Pincus, will you be posting a report about your trip? We're going in November, really looking forward to it -- and reading any and everything about it is my latest addiction! :D

I'd love to get an update on what really happens on the last day -- more about what time we have to disembark, are day rooms provided, what about luggage, and getting to the airport. Thanks for any insights!

Sebayn, you will have a great time!

Specifically, on the last day, debarkation begins at 8:30 a.m. with those going on day-long tours (their luggage is in the belly of the bus!)...the independents, and then those going to the Sheraton. No complimentary day rooms were provided. We paid approximately $100 PP and enjoyed the day. A bus arrived at 7:30, I think, to take those passengers and their luggage to the airport for the flights.

Will be happy to answer any questions...

zenon & cindyMac,

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Tahiti on the Windstar. We sailed back-to-back weeks 7/16-7/23 and 7/23-7/30 and had an amazing time! We loved every minute of our time there. The service was definitely 5-star and the staff was very friendly and worked hard to satisfy our every desire. We sailed the same itinerary in July, 2002 on the Wind Song together and my husband had sailed the same itinerary two times prior. Needless to say, we LOVE Tahiti on Windstar.

The VERY BEST part of our trip was receiveing the offer to stay onboard for the second week for only $495 per person! It was an offer we just couldn't pass up and fortunately, both of our schedules allowed us to take advanatage of this incredible deal. Apparently, they were underbooked early in the week so they made that offer. About 7 couples also took advantage of the offer. It was really nice getting to know the other repeat passengers and staff better and vice-versa. If your schedule allows, you may want to check with your travel agent now about extending your trip for an additional week. We met someone during our second week who had arranged the second week and was able to do so at $595 per person.

The air conditioning has been repaired in the dining room and I do recommend a sweater. You'll also want a sweater for walking about the deck after dinner or for visiting the open bridge. Our first week was a bit chilly in the late afternoons on the pool deck for tea time so I would recommend a sweatshirt or casual sweater unless you don't mind wrapping up in pool towels. I tend to run a little cold but my husband was very comfortable. Don't plan to buy a sweatshirt in Tahiti because they simply aren't available. Believe me, I looked at every port and all over Papeete between cruises. Fortunately, our second week was warmer.

Dinner attire is definitely casually elegant. I took a couple of dresses and skirts and tanks. I took only flat shoes and was happy with that since you really feel the movement while at sea. My husband wore linen slacks or khakis with Tommy Bahama shirts and sandals. Some people did dress up a bit for the final night. We were invited to dine with the Captain so we dressed up a bit for that.

My husband and I are both scuba divers so we dove every morning both weeks. The diving there is amazing! We jokingly call the Wind Star the "ultimate live-aboard dive boat"! The dives depart every morning from the fold-down sports deck at the back of the boat. The water sports couple takes care of all of your equipment so all you really need to do is put on your dive skin and get into the zodiac. All of the dives were spectacular but the most memorable was the Manta Ray dive in Bora Bora. We saw 8-10 mantas with wingspans of up to 18 feet! They are incrediblely graceful as the swim right past you. If you are a diver and want specific information about the dives, let me know. They do offer a Discover Scuba program which allows you to experience scuba diving after participating in a brief introductory class and lesson. The first week we were there there were 12 divers (the max) on each dive but the second week there were 6 divers at most.

I have so many great things to share about our experience but have to run for now. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them. I am new member on this site so if I have overlooked something or am reviewing something in the wrong place, please forgive me...

jennyk

Jennyk, thanks for the great information -- those back-to-back offers would be very tempting! I see you're just back. When you're over jetlag, can you post a trip report for those of us who are eagerly anticipating our own trips? ;)

I appreciate the information you posted. I, too, am very interested in reading your trip report.

My husband and I are also divers and plan to take advantage of the opportunities on the islands. Please let me know if you booked your dives through WindStar or if you used an island dive shop. Did all of your dives go out in the morning?

Thanks again!

Cindy

Archived